Is hay sprayed with Nitrogen safe to feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
default_biggrin.png
I have a question I need some help with, I can't find my answer in any research, so I thought I'd seek help here if that's ok.

My hay supplier called, and let me know hay would be ready to pick up today, and then let me know that he had sprayed it with a bit of Nitrogen to help it dry, hoping to get it in before the rain came in. Our area has been getting alot of rain lately.

He said he sprayed it yesterday, I believe, or Monday, and the rain held off, so he flipped it again to let it finish air drying, and is baling today. He also said it was very thick........there's alot of hay there. He had fertilized it in spring when it started growing as well.

Two questions: 1. Is it safe to feed the ponies, and I have some rabbits I feed hay to as well. 2. Since he sprayed it, and then let it finish air drying, is it going to be overly dry....brittle........and just break the leaves off?

We've had alot of rain lately, and with more rain predicitons in the near future I'm hesitant to wait for hay, only to have to try to find hay that hasn't been rained on. The rumor around here is that we need to buy hay early if we find it because it will be hard to come by again this year due to crop die off from frigid winter temps without snow cover, and freezing rain in February. I don't know if that's true, but I don't know if I want to chance it because we had an extremely hard time finding decent hay last fall, and when we did we had to pay through the nose for it.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

I can't answer that specifically, but I do know that ammonium nitrate fertilizer can cause fetal deformities in some instances. If I was going to be feeding that hay to broodmares, I'd want to find out more information.

Latest posts

Back