GRASS OR ALFALFA HAY-PRO"S AND CONS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find it under "Best of...". I was wondering in all your opinions and knowledge, which you feel is better to feed minis-grass or alfalfa hay? I imagine there are a lot of variables, but I thought some of you could feed out (LOL) a little information from your experiences. Hay prices are still up this year. Too much rain in our area. Found some grass hay, cut and baled dry, just a little bleached on the outside, but it is rather coarse in texture and the guys aren't liking it (bought 10 bales to try). Found some other that is grass mix (fine fine stemmed) with alfalfa (30-50%) and some clover. Pretty rich looking when one is used to feeding grass/mix. Anyway-what say you?

I am sure you will get lots of opinions, but what we do is feed grass hay and then supplement it with soaked alfalfa cubes. This way we can control who gets the extra protein (and calcium) from the alfalfa, and feel that the quality is more consistent. Plus we don't feed alfalfa to our insulin resistant mare, so this strategy makes that easier. Yes, it is more work.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the nutritional value. Get the hay tested and go from there.

Generally speaking, alfalfa is way higher in calories and protein so you don't feed as much of it. But since its better for horses to get lots of grazing time, you can feed a lot more grass hay and the horses are happier.

I feed mostly grass with just a little alfalfa.

Alfalfa is excellent for horses that are in training and need that extra energy they get from alfalfa. But IMO for minis that don't need the extra calories the grass hay is the best way to go. The con about grass hay is its higher in suguar. If you give alfalfa be sure not to give free choice. I give mine alfalfa/grass mix.

Alfalfa is good feed but I don't feed it straight. I keep some on hand but mostly in winter and then I will mix a little bit of it with the grass hay.

Problem I see is the coarse hay. No good. They can't chew it up easily which is why you don't think they like it too much, and it will give them a pot belly. I'd still keep looking for something more palatable in grass hay that's not coarse.

I weigh everything and alfalfa weighs more than grass so that is how I "cut" back on the amount and see that they don't get too much. I feed alfalfa to my minis especially in show season to make sure they don't get "hay bellies". I feed the alfalfa cubes soaked so that they also get extra moisture when being hauled. Grass hay has less nutrient value (as a general rule) and you have to feed more so they get big bellies. There is no reason not to feed the mix you've found unless you have one that is prone to laminitis or has some other health problem.

I love alfalfa, great bang for the buck. It has protein, the horses love it, and it works as a buffer for stomach acid which horses produce continuously. The down side is that it has more calories. My solution is to give a fine stemmed grass, 50-75% of their ration and alfalfa 25-50%. Young horses get 50-50%, oldsters 25% alfalfa and 75% grass. I'm really working on reducing concentrates, not much of a need for them except as carriers for supplements. So far horses are doing great!

Up until my last 10+ bales, I've been feeding a grass/alfalfa mix to my girls. For the most part, it's about 3/4 grass and 1/4 alfalfa. My girls have done very well on this combination. Right now, we're having so much rain that 2nd cutting nice hay in square bales is getting really scarce. My last load is 1st cutting and very course. I'm losing about 1/3 of a bale to waste. I'm not so much worried about the cost as the cleanup. It is *such* a pain to rack that up every day, but if you don't with all this rain, it gets really nasty and gross.

I am anxious to get my 2nd cutting (at least) grass/alfalfa back.

Latest posts

Back