*Having Second Thoughts* Question for All you Mini People

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so here is what i have decided...sorta...
I really like the colt, i have had alot of people PM me or E-mail me about what they think about him. i would say ab 50% like him 50% would keep looking. I think im going go for the Pinto colt. I really like him, He seems to have decent confermation. If he ends up not being a good stallion, im going to geld him and show him as a gelding, mabey train to drive and do hunters or jumpers. Im going to offer her 250 for him, and work from there. Now i jusat need the "Yes" from my mom.

Sooo - you want a horse that is a good stallion prospect for $250??? Plus a good bite, decent conformation and a height guarantee? Not to be mean, but if I had been answering lots of e-mails from someone like this, and they came back with $250, I don't think I'd respond back. With the farm that this colt is from, I'd believe that the "sale" they would take him to would be a well run, respectable sale. Not saying that it absolutely would, but with their farm name they can get into pretty much any sale they want and have the resources to take him there. So if you want him, - maybe a $400 offer, but I would be insulted with $250.
well, no, but yes...idk. like it would be nice to get a good stallion form her. My Trainer bought a colt form her from the same price, and he is really nice, and produces good foals. Basically what i want to do is show halter, and if he dose good in halter, and if he is a stallion you could make some money off of breeding fees...but i mean i wouldn't breed to any old mare. They would have to complement the stallion. But if he ended up not doing as well as i expected being a stallion, i would geld him and show him in halter as a gelding, and probally train him to drive.

"I sent you a PM also........ telling you that they will 'just take him to a sale then' tells me that they dont care what happens to the horse- they want it off the place in a hurry. It also indicates to me that at a sale, there are no guarantees- what you see is what you get... and it may not be what you bargained for for some reason."

"I also hate that reply, it comes across as a feeble 'scare tactic' to me- sort of like grab him quick or I'll just take him to the sale and you'll miss out... or pay the price and stop asking questions cause I will get that much at the sale... I would NEVER send a horse through a sale to end up... where?"

"I will never be coerced or intimidated into buying something quickly with these 'passive aggressive' pitches."

These are my horses and I feel that I need to respond to this!!!

I feel as though I need to defend myself and my farm. First of all, I reduced there prices from $1500 and $2500, these are yearling colts that just haven't sold. I have a huge feed bill and more foals on the way. I keep some colts, show some , and geld some. This is a Business, so if I want to pay the bills, I have to sell horses. Just because they are $500 doesn't mean that there is something wrong with them, evidently the price is to LOW, so everyone thinks that soemthing is wrong with them. Well good news theres nothing wrong. Did it ever occur to you that you might be getting a great bargain????? I have bought horses for $500 and have made them World Champions!

I reduced the prices, because I do care about my horses and want to find them a home, instead of sending them to a Sale!! I'm not taking any more photos, because I don't have alot of help, and I can't. I'd be taking photos all day long for all the questions that I get. They have good bites and are good horses. There Sire and Dams are good horses. They can't all be World Champions, and can't all be the best.

So if you think that I use "scare tactics to sell horses, use passive agressive pitches", and misreppresent my horses you are wrong and its not nice to say things like this!!!!

Oh, all my horses sell with a Coggins and a Health papers, its a State Law, I thought it was like that everywhere??? My horses are well taken care of, wormed every 3 months and have all there shots, and come from good bloodlines. Maybe I should just give them away.

I honestly don't think a child has any business owing a stallion, even more so if this is your first mini. You expect to make money off of breeding fees? Why not geld him? Why does always have to be "well I have a stallion, I must breed him". Not every stallion should be bred, most should be gelded.
default_wacko.png

Whoa! hold on. you guys. I was asking for opinions on a Horse, i started second guessing my self, and i asked for more opinons. It wasn't right for us to say what we said, we should have known that it would slap us back in the face. This is a lesson learned. before this gets too much out of hand i really think this should be locked or deleted.

None of us had the right to come to conclusions about people like we have been. You shouldn't judge people with out seeing/meeting them. So with that said, im just going to let this blow over as a lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't think a child has any business owing a stallion, even more so if this is your first mini. You expect to make money off of breeding fees? Why not geld him? Why does always have to be "well I have a stallion, I must breed him". Not every stallion should be bred, most should be gelded.
default_wacko.png

I do agree, but I feel that this is not always the case. My first miniature was a stallion, but I had no real intents on breeding him. I would have had him gelded if it was not for his age. That horse and I had an awesome bond, and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

My opinions on this colt, I think he'd make a KICK BUTT show gelding! If the seller is still willing to sell him to you, then I would jump on it. You're simply not going to get a better horse for $500.

That said, it IS frustrating when you aren't provided with pictures that Shows the horses' conformation. Profession photos are great, but they Can hide many flaws. This goes towards ANY seller!

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I sent you a PM also........ telling you that they will 'just take him to a sale then' tells me that they dont care what happens to the horse- they want it off the place in a hurry. It also indicates to me that at a sale, there are no guarantees- what you see is what you get... and it may not be what you bargained for for some reason."
"I also hate that reply, it comes across as a feeble 'scare tactic' to me- sort of like grab him quick or I'll just take him to the sale and you'll miss out... or pay the price and stop asking questions cause I will get that much at the sale... I would NEVER send a horse through a sale to end up... where?"

"I will never be coerced or intimidated into buying something quickly with these 'passive aggressive' pitches."

These are my horses and I feel that I need to respond to this!!!

I feel as though I need to defend myself and my farm. First of all, I reduced there prices from $1500 and $2500, these are yearling colts that just haven't sold. I have a huge feed bill and more foals on the way. I keep some colts, show some , and geld some. This is a Business, so if I want to pay the bills, I have to sell horses. Just because they are $500 doesn't mean that there is something wrong with them, evidently the price is to LOW, so everyone thinks that soemthing is wrong with them. Well good news theres nothing wrong. Did it ever occur to you that you might be getting a great bargain????? I have bought horses for $500 and have made them World Champions!

I reduced the prices, because I do care about my horses and want to find them a home, instead of sending them to a Sale!! I'm not taking any more photos, because I don't have alot of help, and I can't. I'd be taking photos all day long for all the questions that I get. They have good bites and are good horses. There Sire and Dams are good horses. They can't all be World Champions, and can't all be the best.

So if you think that I use "scare tactics to sell horses, use passive agressive pitches", and misreppresent my horses you are wrong and its not nice to say things like this!!!!

Oh, all my horses sell with a Coggins and a Health papers, its a State Law, I thought it was like that everywhere??? My horses are well taken care of, wormed every 3 months and have all there shots, and come from good bloodlines. Maybe I should just give them away.
QUOTE (Genie @ Mar 13 2009, 09:01 AM)

Going back to the seller saying that they were not providing more pictures...I have had some buyers request pictures "ad infinitum" and re ask questions that I have already answered for them . I think that I have started to recognize the "tire kickers" and I usually just advise that they would be best to see the horse in person.

I have copied part of my earlier post and I understand what you are saying, completely.

I feel sorry that you have had to view all the responses from all of us who only knew "Half" the story.

Prices have really plummeted over the last while and we may all have to face the reality of a whole new world of prices.

Latest posts

Back