*Having Second Thoughts* Question for All you Mini People

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A weanling can change dramatically as a yearling and again as a mature adult. I have seem many a promising weanling be darn ugly as a mature animal.

The fact that they are going to send him to auction, means that he is not National or World Quality (in their minds). They will also probably only get a couple of hundred for him at best. So, if you want him, throw them an offer. They just may accept it. But do not buy him because you feel he will be your next top show horse or top breeding stallion, chances are he will not be one.

But again, he could be a wonderful local show horse and one that may just take you into classes like showmanship, where the looks of a horse does not count, or he may end up being a great jumper or obstacle horse. You need to decide what you want. If $500 is all you can afford, then go for it. Do not forget that you will probably have to pay for coggins and health certificate as well as transport.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could just be the economy. A pet-quality colt that may have sold for $2000 a couple of years ago, is now $500 (there are some great deals right now ;).

Ditto. Do you know how many pet-quality minis/big horses are out there that have an amazing sire? TONS! It's really just a selling point. There are many amazing horses that have parents that are virtually unknown(I can give you a loooong list LOL)...ie. go for conformation and temperament first-and-foremost.

Just because a stallion is a World Champion or World Top 10, does not mean that all of his get are going to be that way too. Many end up being pet quality at best.

Perhaps the combination was not right, mare and stallion just did not mix. Sometimes one can have full siblings where one is just beautiful and the other is not so great.

At $500, especially with one of the top farms, my guess is he is just a nice pet. A good top quality show colt still goes for decent money, $4000 or more, many still going for $7,500 or more.

If you are just showing locally though and want a nice gelding to show, he may work just fine for you.

I sent you a PM also........ telling you that they will 'just take him to a sale then' tells me that they dont care what happens to the horse- they want it off the place in a hurry. It also indicates to me that at a sale, there are no guarantees- what you see is what you get... and it may not be what you bargained for for some reason.

I also hate that reply, it comes across as a feeble 'scare tactic' to me- sort of like grab him quick or I'll just take him to the sale and you'll miss out... or pay the price and stop asking questions cause I will get that much at the sale... I would NEVER send a horse through a sale to end up... where?

I will never be coerced or intimidated into buying something quickly with these 'passive aggressive' pitches.

All I can say is the response you got from the seller really makes me feel sad. Every being deserves to be loved and appreciated. And living on a place that is just going to "run him through a sale," in order to "make room for the 2009 foals," well...I just have no words for that. I HATE that attitude. And yes I have bought from such farms, but I don't think I will any more.
default_no.gif

Trust me, i didn't feel pressured any way by her in her e-mail...

But i was thinking of offering her 400 for him.

I sent you a PM also........ telling you that they will 'just take him to a sale then' tells me that they dont care what happens to the horse- they want it off the place in a hurry. It also indicates to me that at a sale, there are no guarantees- what you see is what you get... and it may not be what you bargained for for some reason.
I also hate that reply, it comes across as a feeble 'scare tactic' to me- sort of like grab him quick or I'll just take him to the sale and you'll miss out... or pay the price and stop asking questions cause I will get that much at the sale... I would NEVER send a horse through a sale to end up... where?

I will never be coerced or intimidated into buying something quickly with these 'passive aggressive' pitches.
Well said. I agree.

I'd offer her $250 for him and see where it goes. I am sure she will not get that much in a sale. You may find you get him for $300.
Now, idk ne thing about Horse Buying Etiquette, i would amuse this is something i should do over the phone, like talk about price.

I'd offer her $250 for him and see where it goes. I am sure she will not get that much in a sale. You may find you get him for $300.
Now, idk ne thing about Horse Buying Etiquette, i would amuse this is something i should do over the phone, like talk about price.

I would just e-mail her and make the offer first. Then if you agree upon a price, then call. Make sure he is what you want first before you offer and make sure you can afford to do coggins and a heath certificate as well as hauling too.

If you are under 18, contracts would have to be drawn up between your parents and them. As contracts are not legaly binding with under age kids.

I would just e-mail her and make the offer first. Then if you agree upon a price, then call. Make sure he is what you want first before you offer and make sure you can afford to do coggins and a heath certificate as well as hauling too.

If you are under 18, contracts would have to be drawn up between your parents and them. As contracts are not legaly binding with under age kids.

Okay, i figured that. My parent's are still thinking about it...
default_wacko.png
... so idk, we talked about it last night.

Okay, so here is what i have decided...sorta...

I really like the colt, i have had alot of people PM me or E-mail me about what they think about him. i would say ab 50% like him 50% would keep looking. I think im going go for the Pinto colt. I really like him, He seems to have decent confermation. If he ends up not being a good stallion, im going to geld him and show him as a gelding, mabey train to drive and do hunters or jumpers. Im going to offer her 250 for him, and work from there. Now i jusat need the "Yes" from my mom.

Going back to the seller saying that they were not providing more pictures...I have had some buyers request pictures "ad infinitum" and re ask questions that I have already answered for them . I think that I have started to recognize the "tire kickers" and I usually just advise that they would be best to see the horse in person.

This is not to say that there may have been some who were serious and I have possibly "put them off".

I can only say that pictures can not replace seeing them in the "flesh"

If that is not possible then cover the bite, stifle,conformation issues in a purchase contract which requires the buyer to pick up the horse at their expense if there are faults which you requested confirmation of the absense of and they are evident on delivery of your horse, confirmed by a vet or recognized breeder.

If that is not possible then cover the bite, stifle,conformation issues in a purchase contract which requires the buyer to pick up the horse at their expense if there are faults which you requested confirmation of the absense of and they are evident on delivery of your horse, confirmed by a vet or recognized breeder.

Can some one explain this more?

Just a thought, but does the seller know that you are a child? That could be why you are getting those responses. Maybe you should have a parent call and talk to the seller.

Going back to the seller saying that they were not providing more pictures...I have had some buyers request pictures "ad infinitum" and re ask questions that I have already answered for them . I think that I have started to recognize the "tire kickers" and I usually just advise that they would be best to see the horse in person.
This is not to say that there may have been some who were serious and I have possibly "put them off".

I can only say that pictures can not replace seeing them in the "flesh"

And you want all this for $250?
default_wacko.png

Now i jusat need the "Yes" from my mom.
I really suspect this is why the seller has grown tired of answering fifty thousand questions and requests for more and more photos.

I believe it is possible to get a really nice horse for $500. I got my new boy for that price recently He is a Buckaroo grandson on his sire's side and a Buck Echo grandson on his Dam's side. He is extremly refined and a buckskin. He moves well too. My thinking on his price is that he was a gelding and he's outgrown his AMHA papers as a two year old. He will retain his AMHR papers though. The way I figured it is, if he turned out to be a great show horse then I was lucky to not have to pay tons of money for him. If he doesn't turn out to be a good show horse then I only had to pay a pet price for him and he's a pleasure to have. Either way I am happy. If the market and economy was better I believe this horse would have sold for much more. He has a full sister that was a reserve halter champ last year too.

Laura

Please also keep in mind, alot of people are not so high and mighty or are to good to either briefly scan over this board or have friends that say, hey, did ya see what was mentioned on there. Chances are, the seller already knows your age, and this entire discussion.

You have been given some great pearls of wisdom, and I don't think anyone is in this discussion is setting out to flame you.

Just something to keep in mind.

Now i jusat need the "Yes" from my mom.
I really suspect this is why the seller has grown tired of answering fifty thousand questions and requests for more and more photos.
Whoa! I asked for pictures 2 times, once for the buckskin, then again for body and bite shots. I really didn't think it was unreasonable. because the pictures that were provided were older.

Okay, so here is what i have decided...sorta...
I really like the colt, i have had alot of people PM me or E-mail me about what they think about him. i would say ab 50% like him 50% would keep looking. I think im going go for the Pinto colt. I really like him, He seems to have decent confermation. If he ends up not being a good stallion, im going to geld him and show him as a gelding, mabey train to drive and do hunters or jumpers. Im going to offer her 250 for him, and work from there. Now i jusat need the "Yes" from my mom.

Sooo - you want a horse that is a good stallion prospect for $250??? Plus a good bite, decent conformation and a height guarantee? Not to be mean, but if I had been answering lots of e-mails from someone like this, and they came back with $250, I don't think I'd respond back. With the farm that this colt is from, I'd believe that the "sale" they would take him to would be a well run, respectable sale. Not saying that it absolutely would, but with their farm name they can get into pretty much any sale they want and have the resources to take him there. So if you want him, - maybe a $400 offer, but I would be insulted with $250.

Latest posts

Back