*Having Second Thoughts* Question for All you Mini People

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
Hi, (okay let's try and get this right) I found a mini colt that i like, i would like everyone's opinion on the colt. you can PM me for more information on him. Just a little Background, is a grandson of Bones Little Buckaroo. on his Sire's Side he also has Komokos breeding.

Just PM me and i can hook you up with a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can send me a link if you'd like.

I'd be happy to take a look -- [email protected]
default_yes.gif

Thanks! i just shot you an email!

I really can't make up my mind, i like two of them, but i think im leaning more towards the pinto

Is it common to have second thoughts on weather you are going to get the right horse?

I have been thinking, like i really like the Pinto Colt, in his description it says that "He has the looks and the color to be a outstanding Show Horse and Breeding Stallion" His sire is all over the place, even on here on there add, The AMHA Magazine they put out. his sire has "World Reserve Champion Futurity and many time World Top Ten in Halter and the Honor Roll." It's half sister was 2008 AMHA Weanling Mare 26" & Under Reserve World Champion.

then why is his foal only going for Five Hundred dollars? you know? like i keep asking myself if there is something wrong with the colt, why he isn't like 1k or 2k ect... like the rest of the horses on there page...

Is it common to have second thoughts on weather you are going to get the right horse?
I have been thinking, like i really like the Pinto Colt, in his description it says that "He has the looks and the color to be a outstanding Show Horse and Breeding Stallion" His sire is all over the place, even on here on there add, The AMHA Magazine they put out. his sire has "World Reserve Champion Futurity and many time World Top Ten in Halter and the Honor Roll." It's half sister was 2008 AMHA Weanling Mare 26" & Under Reserve World Champion.

then why is his foal only going for Five Hundred dollars? you know? like i keep asking myself if there is something wrong with the colt, why he isn't like 1k or 2k ect... like the rest of the horses on there page...
Just because a stallion is a World Champion or World Top 10, does not mean that all of his get are going to be that way too. Many end up being pet quality at best.

Perhaps the combination was not right, mare and stallion just did not mix. Sometimes one can have full siblings where one is just beautiful and the other is not so great.

At $500, especially with one of the top farms, my guess is he is just a nice pet. A good top quality show colt still goes for decent money, $4000 or more, many still going for $7,500 or more.

If you are just showing locally though and want a nice gelding to show, he may work just fine for you.

Well, yea. im just not sure. I requested some newer pictures of his Sides, Front, Back and Bite. and we will see. But like, my trainer got a mini colt from them for 500 and he is a really nice stallion. the whole "He has the looks and the color to be a outstanding Show Horse and Breeding Stallion" kind of threw me off.

Hummm...i e-mailed the breeder about geting more pictures and this is what i got form a response. "That's all the photos that I have and I am not able to take any more right now. They are both fine and are a steal at that price. I am going to send them to a Sale if you are not interested." Am i missing something???

Keep in mind also what you actually want to do with him. If you're planning to show at local open shows, 4H shows, etc., you could clean up with him. Not everyone really has a "use" for a National caliber stallion, and can have TONS of fun with a nice colt that has a smaller price tag. My first show horse, "Derby" (Triple H Derby Day Miracle) was about that price and he won "everything" locally and even showed very well at registry shows (both halter championships and performance wins) and he got a National Top 5 in performance as a 2yo. Let me promise you, I got lots more out of him than he cost me to buy... he actually even sired a champion foal. I still have him and wouldn't part with him. He's a gelding now, but very much appreciated and useful (great little driving horse).

"He has the looks and the color to be a outstanding Show Horse and Breeding Stallion"
Doesn't state what kind of show horse he'd be - by that I mean what level. Sure he could be an outstanding "local" show horse, doesn't mean he'll do diddly-squat at National or Worlds.
default_wink.png
Same for breeding - could produce pet quality foals.

That said, some great breeders, like Getitia, have horses that are priced all over the map, and yet each and every one is of wonderful quality!
default_wub.png

I don't know this horse, but I'd be willing to take a look.
default_smile.png
PM me the info.

Hummm...i e-mailed the breeder about geting more pictures and this is what i got form a response. "That's all the photos that I have and I am not able to take any more right now. They are both fine and are a steal at that price. I am going to send them to a Sale if you are not interested." Am i missing something???

I HATE that reply!! And I've gotten it a time or two too! I will NOT buy a horse with out new pictures! It's not that hard. I have MANY pictures and videos available of horses that I have for sale. And some people wonder why they can't sell their horses
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif

I HATE that reply!! And I've gotten it a time or two too! I will NOT buy a horse with out new pictures! It's not that hard. I have MANY pictures and videos available of horses that I have for sale. And some people wonder why they can't sell their horses
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
Me too. Somethings sounds fishy. You got a PM

DO NOT let the seller push you into something like either you take them or they go to a sale. First off, purchasing a horse is not to be done on a whim if you don't know exactly what you want. It costs as much to feed and care for a pet quality horse as a show quality horse, so look around. Second, they are only hurting themselves taking the horse to a sale, they will be LUCKY to get $500 at a sale in this economy. If a seller can't offer me a bite picture of a young horse they have listed as a stallion prospect that sends up some red flags.

PM me and let me know what horse your looking at, im always curious.

Show season is just starting, and they may be busy getting their show strings ready, plus foaling. They looked like foal photos, and this would be the start of their yearling year, so they probably haven't changed that much. If they were foal photos and the horses were now 5 or 6 and they won't take new photos, I'd be more concerned.

If this sheds any light on the situation they have a headline on there page that he is on that says

"MAKE AN OFFER - need to make room for 2009 foals!"

Latest posts

Back