Have you ever had a horse suddenly get SPOTS?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
Our 3y/o solid bay gelding suddenly has white spots! His sire is pintaloosa and I don't know about his dam, but it's insane looking! He's had a few white hairs (I'd hardly call them spots), but we clipped him and his face and back are covered in them...mainly his face! We were stunned when we clipped him, because he's not super young or anything, he's fixing to be 4 y/o. I don't have recent pictures of the spots, but I'll get them in the next day or two. Has anyone had a horse get spots so late? I've heard of yearlings and even 2y/os but never this late. He has no markings and no striped feet. He kind of has the white around the yes (forgot the term), but yeah we were stunned. Luckily the extremely random explosion of spots fits him well, he's a quirky little dude
default_laugh.png

Pictures on 2nd page!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mottling?

Appaloosas can change every year. It's like getting a new gift to unwrap every spring.

Congrats!

Mottling?

Appaloosas can change every year. It's like getting a new gift to unwrap every spring.

Congrats!

Nope! No mottling either. It's really strange haha! We have a varnish roan mare who has mottling and the white ringed eyes, and she changes every year
default_smile.png
It's so neat to watch! I can't wait to get pictures tomorrow so y'all can see...my whole family laughs at him every time we see his "new face". Poor guy lol!

Okay, no striped hooves, no mottling, but he DOES have sclera, right? And remember, some can hide the mottling inside their mouths, or on their "privates" (in his case his penis). There are lots of places the appaloosa mottling can be hiding.

You have me tickled! I can't WAIT to see him!

I'm glad you're excited
default_biggrin.png
If it wasn't dark out I'd go get a recent picture of him right now lol. Here's one of him last summer (the way he's looked since the say we've bought him...solid bay!) He's "thing" is hangin out too...would you say it has mottling? I THINK he has sclera. It's not as prominent as my mare's but he's got more white around his eyes than our two solid horses (they have no appy in their blood).

077.jpg

No he's not
default_smile.png
He has no greying around his eyes, and I'm pretty sure he would have greyed out (atleast mostly) by now if he was.
He looks JUST like my 3 Y/O Stallion, I clipped him three weeks ago, and I noticed today he has several white hairs growing back into his bay coat.. interesting..
wacko.gif

Here's a Pic of my 3 Y/O he looks like your horses brother! lol
biggrin.gif
You can't see the whites hairs.. ..

IMG_1625.JPG

hhmmmmmmmmmmmm this is interesting! I can't wait to see a closer picture.
aktion033.gif

Here's pics from my horse, 1st pic of Neck, 2nd of Shoulder.. You can clearly see the white hairs, I don't know if it's the same on Jaitera horse....
default_smile.png

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

Two more pics, 1st of Side which is covered with white hairs, and 2nd of face..
default_smile.png
you can click to enlarge and REALLY see them, I'm almost thinking he's turning grey, but he doesn't have any of the other indicators, such as white/grey around the eyes and such..
default_smile.png

Jaitera, is this the same thing going on with your horse?

IMG_1931.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

If neither of his parents are grey, he will not grey out. I have a dark bay mare that has white hairs throughout her coat as well. I believe it comes from the Sabino gene. Adds a bit of interest, I think!

If neither of his parents are grey, he will not grey out. I have a dark bay mare that has white hairs throughout her coat as well. I believe it comes from the Sabino gene. Adds a bit of interest, I think!
If it was from the Sabino gene wouldn't you have noticed from a younger age?
wacko.gif
Which he very well could have had them and I just simply didn't notice!
rolleyes.gif
Hmmm

Hey everyone!

Sorry, this is kinda off topic, but I have a 6 yr old strawberry roan mare out of a buckskin and a red roan. She has a very large spot on her hind leg/hip, and we've always thought it was just a large roan spot. She has some roan hairs all over, but the are limited. It gets bigger everytime we clip her for the first time in the spring. We recently took her to a new trainer, and he said he thought she might have some Sabino in her... any ideas on this?

This is her freshly clipped...

the second one is her spot....

and the third one is one of her at nationals, she was darker, but you can still see her spot...

254.JPG

091.JPG

081.JPG

Sorry everyone I was gone all day at the beach (it's our first day of summer vacation here!). I will FOR SURE get a picture tomorrow, I promise!
default_wink.png
And to SND farms, my boy doesn't have white hair mixed in like that.They're larger spots than those (not HUGE, but about the size of dime or a bit smaller). They're in a giant clump on his face and scattered randomly on his back! Your boy is very handsome though! Is he silver bay or just bay? Again, I promise to have pictures tomorrow for you guys. He may even get a bath for the occasion...he's quite dirty! haha

Okay! Here are the pictures
default_biggrin.png
I hope y'all are still watching this post, if not I'll probably just message the pictures to you guys. Anyway, here they are. Sorry for the pony being dirty
default_rolleyes.gif
Oh, and his name is Spartacus, we usually call him Sparty haha!

FACE:

052.jpg

050.jpg

045-1.jpg

BODY:

037.jpg

036.jpg

039-2.jpg

I really hope you guys come back to answer xD I think his face spots are priceless
default_wub.png
hehe.

You will have to change his name from Sparty to Spotty
wub.gif
My chocolate mare (call her chocolate cos I haven't a clue what colour she is) started to get grey spots/marks at the age of 7 so I know it is possible. She has a leopard grandfather and appy nose and genitals. Does your boy have appy genitals?

This is her a few years ago

group007.jpg

This is her now

hols2010025.jpg

They do not look like appy spots to me. I am stumped though. Does anyone think the might be birdcatcher spots?

My Quarter Horse (we think thts what he is) has birdcatcher spots, and they do look very simular. Spartacus just has a WHOLEEEE lot more haha. I thought they had to have TB blood in them t get the spots? I guess wayyyy, wayyyyy, wayyyyyy back when Sparty could have had a TB in his blood? lol Like I said early he really has no appy characteristics so I'm not surprised if the spots aren't appy related. His sire is pintaloosa though and his paternal half sister (who we own) has some appy roaning on her rump. Who knows
default_laugh.png
lol It's really not too important because he can't ever be bred or anything. Thanks so much for responding! I certainly hope he keeps them though, they suit him much better than plain bay
default_wink.png
If y'all can think of anything else they may be please tell me...I'd love to hear!

Latest posts

Back