have to take a break from poines for a while

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda_H

Reaction score
After thinking & agonizing I have decided that I have to sell out my ponies & minis "My stepmonster" has sold the family farm- many of you know my story so I won't bore but in a nutshell my husband & I were to live there for life the- 11th generation My dad was so pleased !

I had bought some nice minis & ponies Well my dad died & his charming wife is selling the farm -& getting quite the windfall- lets say over 2 1/2 million but at least it is to the town so the land- 102 acres will be more or less preserved

In the midst my husband was diagnosed with cancer- a difficiult type with no primary which meant daily radiation & 3 brutal rounds of chemo But he is 1 year post treatment & in remission

Then my mom ( my sweet bio mom who has always been a very strong part of my life developed cognitive & memory problems so at 87 she is going to move with us- I am very happy to have her with us.

We could buy a place & even found a barn company to keep the ponies very comfortable but it would be a financial stretch & no really place to exercise them well

My 22 yr old imare s going back to the breeder who sold her to me -she will have her own little girl to dote on her I am so happy for her

My gelding will be going to a woman who is a student in my therapy dog class & have his own mini girlfriend, & I only have my pony mare to go This was a hard decsion but I feel a smart one for the horses sometimes you just need to put them first Now... if I can through the legal monkey business the stepmonster is trying to avoid paying the money she promised so we can at last get a house We had sunk all ours assets into the farm when we moved here & sold our own home!

Go out tonite & hug all your little guys & be thankful!

we will get through this & when we do I will invite one & all over for a cup of tea & homemmade cookies!

Wishing you and your husbamd the best.We hope that all works out for you and your family in the future.

Linda,

I'm so sorry about your lovely farm. It was a very special place.

The good thing is that your husband is in remission and you will have your mother with you.

As for your dad's second wife -- that's a hard one........but I do believe "what goes around comes around.".

MA

Linda that is always the hardest thing, when an interloper reaps the benefits of a family affair.

A warning to all of us, I think- PUT IT IN WRITING!!!

I wish you all the very best of luck, you are right, you will get through it, and you will be stronger for it , too.

And the stepmonster is not going to be one jot happier for her windfall, either.

A nasty person who comes int o money is just a rich nasty person, nothing else changes!!

Oh Linda, what a terrible time you have been through.
default_sad.png

That is a very big decision to sell your horses. Who knows what the future holds. Don't give up.
default_wub.png
:

If your father did not leave anything in writing and the itchy one got it all, aren't you at least entitled to a child's share? I'm not sure about what your state is or the legalities that abound there, but usually a child will get one half of the estate, and a mate will get one half. Of course, if there were more children that half would be divided among them equally. I know it is not enough, but 1/2 would be better than her getting it all! IF he did not leave everything in writing, I think you have a valid case. Also, if 1/2 is yours, she can not sell the other half without your consent, and that way, you would have the opportunity to buy her out. I have been through this with my father, grandmother, and late husband, so I know where you're coming from. No problem when my husband died, my girls were given their part, but terrible when my father died, and lots of problems when my grandmother re-married, died intestate, (according to her husband, will was later found), and my mom and her siblings had to go to court to get their inheritances. It is such a mess, I really feel for you, and know the feelings that are going on with you in regards to the estate. You have my prayers, and I hope everything works out!

Linda,

I'm so sorry about your lovely farm. It was a very special place.

The good thing is that your husband is in remission and you will have your mother with you.

As for your dad's second wife -- that's a hard one........but I do believe "what goes around comes around.".

MA
I agree on the what comes around, goes around. There is also the Wiccan rede of a rule of threes (not sure I remembered the spelling right) - that which you do unto others comes back to you three times as hard.
default_yes.gif
:

My family had a farm in CT... started when my grandmother's grandfather (Andrew Perry) came over from Ireland during the potato famine. He was an indentured servant to a dairy owner and earned 20 acres for his service.

Acres were sold off over the years after his death and my grandmother willed her last cents to save what was left of it and divided it up between her son and daughter (my mom) upon her death.

Her son committed suicide by hanging 8 days after her (my Grammy's) funeral. His wife sold the land immediately after, despite offers from my mom to purchase it. The family divided, never to speak again.

Ex-aunt remarried 6 months after my uncle's death under speculation she had a lover all along, which along with other problems, led to my uncle's suicide. The new hubby took my ex-aunt for all she earned from the sale of her half of the farm, finally divorced her and then she got invasive colon cancer. Her own sons, my cousins, had to make the decision to take her off life support and it took her 16 hours to die.
default_unsure.png
: Very sad.

But, I do I believe, what goes around, comes around. I have a will and instructions to my sons not to fight over anything (not that I/we have much to quibble over). My brother was worried my sister and I would want my mom's house, which he shares with her. It is his... as he has put his life blood into it...I have my own place and my sister has hers...but the earlier family fight had everyone nervous.

Life is too short. My oldest son bears Andrew Perry's name and I hope a good heritage and integrity. My son Ben also knows the family stories - and that they are brothers and need to look out for each other as after Tim and I pass, they have each other.
default_yes.gif
:

I hope your situation works itself out... it is a terrible load to bear.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Back