Have a hoof with a crack?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepipony

Reaction score
Farrier used Shoe Goo on a crack that my mare has ( its an injury, will never heal). Since we have been riding she has been packing mud and dirt up into it. Anyhow, he put Shoe Goo over it, he swears by it. Might be worth a try if you have a similar issue.

Let me know how long it stays in the crack.

Most of the acrylics come out after a couple weeks. I haven't used the product you're writing about so I'm very interested in how long it lasts.

The only problem with filling a crack is making sure you don't have any thrush in the crack. Cutting off the air will ready help the thrush multiply.

Have dealt with a horse with a crack in the foot... farrier felt that sealing up the crack with acrylic could invite thrush or white line disease... it's better to keep most cracks open unless they are really superficial. I think the acrylics are meant to be cosmetic only, or to create a bit more "wall" to sink nails into?

I'm not a farrier so not 100% sure.

You could try packing the crack with hoof packing, they sell medicated packings... to prevent other debris from packing in there first.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back