Has anyone had experience with founder?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just lost our foundered mare on Tuesday. Seasonal changes hit her hard. She was on a dry lot, no grass at all. Hay and a LSLS feed. Yet, Sunday she was "off". Monday we decided to let her go, she had deteriorated Sunday night pretty bad. Vet was due Tues morning. Tues AM, she was down. We attempted to get her to her feet, She just didn't have it in her. Her appointment was 11am, we called and asked if they could come earlier...

She went peacefully. She was done.

Your girl looks great. I think if you keep her off grass and high sugar/starch feeds, she'll be fine!

We just lost our foundered mare on Tuesday. Seasonal changes hit her hard. She was on a dry lot, no grass at all. Hay and a LSLS feed. Yet, Sunday she was "off". Monday we decided to let her go, she had deteriorated Sunday night pretty bad. Vet was due Tues morning. Tues AM, she was down. We attempted to get her to her feet, She just didn't have it in her. Her appointment was 11am, we called and asked if they could come earlier...

She went peacefully. She was done.

Your girl looks great. I think if you keep her off grass and high sugar/starch feeds, she'll be fine!
So sorry for your loss. I know it's not easy to let them go, but sometimes we must do what is best for them, not us.

Chanda said it well....They often tell us when they are ready....even when we aren't. (I hate the word "sorry" because it just isn't enough.)

Chanda said it well....They often tell us when they are ready....even when we aren't. (I hate the word "sorry" because it just isn't enough.)
You are so right, sorry is rarely enough, but sometimes it's the only word that comes.

Field of Dreams, so sorry for your loss. It's always so hard to say goodbye. My heart hurts for you, our beloved pets are family.

Thanks, all. She was our Roan-N daughter, we had her for 16 years. I miss hearing her call when I feed....she was a talker.

Field of Dreams - thank you for caring so much for your mare that you let her go when she was ready! Love that you had her for 16 years. Sending a cyber hug your way, for your loss...

Back