Has anyone had any experience with Umbilical Hernia's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenMac Farm

Reaction score
I have a qh filly that was foaled 2/28/11.At first I didnt notice it, however after a few days It became really pronounced. I have spoken to the vet and he feels that it might or might not close up only time will tell. Has anyone else had any experience with this type of hernia and what course of action did your vet take or have you take with it? My vet does not have the faciliies to do surgery here and I would have to take the filly to Pennsylvania or Ohio. To be honest I dont know if my piggy bank has that kind of funds right now to cover this type of surgery as my vet has advised me that it might cost upwards of $2000.00. and we are in the process of building a house. So please tell your hernia story's good or bad and the outcome of it. I really need to make a decision soon as to put her down or place her in a home that can afford to give her the treatment she deserves. I plan on weaning her the end of this month, first of next month. I am getting really attached to this filly b/c she is what I have always dreamed of breeding for/owning and eventually showing. So before I get even more attached I want to make the decision. thank you for sharing.. if you dont feel comfortable in sharing your story publicly you can pm me or email me at [email protected].

Thank You! Sherry

(I am attaching a picture that if you look carefully you can see the hernia)

053.jpg

The good news is that umbilical hernias are rarely life threatening (but do have a genetic component).

1)You could attempt a belly wrap. Take a thick stack of 4*4 gauze pads, replace the hernia, apply the pads, then apply a belly wrap using elasticon. Keep in place for at least 2 weeks and preferably about 5 weeks. If you are able to keep the omentum (the fat that falls through the hole) out of the way then the hole will heal itself.

2)I use Hernia Clamps to repair these. No surgery required. Just anesthetize the animal like you would for a geld. Apply the clamp. It will fall off on its own in 10 days to 4 weeks. Some really don't like this technique and think its dangerous. I have never had it fail, nor have I had a major complication in 15 years.

3)You can surgically close the hernia. Shouldn't be $2000, but will be $500-1500. Sutures can (but rarely do) fail. Should be done in a hospital, although I've done quite a few on the farm with good results.

4)Repair using a surgical mesh is the Cadillac treatment and probably would be pricey as the wire mesh is $500 by itself.

Dr Taylor

I helped band several hernias when I rode with a vet a few years ago. The procedure was quite simple, and done at the farms. The foal was knocked out just like you'd do for a gelding procedure, then the vet used a special tool to place several tight bands around the hernia. Eventually the blood supply to the area was cut off and the hernia closed and the excess skin fell off.

Here is an article with pictures and a better description Article

Thank You, Dr. Taylor for your response, I am planning on weaning the filly at the end of this month. I can stall her for as long as needed. so that I could try the belly band as suggested.. and it would stay dry. etc. I am a stay at home mom so I could monitor her closely and that would be something my 13 year old daughter could help me with since she is the one who really wants to keep this filly. However in your opinion what is the best option/gave you the best results the belly band or the clamps?

Jessica, If I may ask and if you feel comfortable and if you can remember can you tell me approx. how much the vet charged for that procedure? My vet did mention this procedure but he said he wouldnt feel comfortable about doing it as he was not familiar with doing it. Thank You for your response as well! I truly appreciate it.

Just to get my vet to come to my farm he charges $80.00! He only lives approx. 20 miles from me! The other vet that works on horses around her charges $75.00 and he does live approx. 1.5 hrs away from me and he is very hard to get ahold of and even harder to get an appt. with as all he specializes in is horses and esp. reproduction.

Thank You!

Latest posts

Back