Has anyone fed Milo?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
Also known as Grain Sorghum. A local farmer grows it and I was wondering if anyone had fed it before and what kind of results you got? I had never heard of it before, so know nothing about it!!
default_biggrin.png

Thanks

Heidi

NO do not feed MILO. It has been known to cause severe urine scald in mares.

We have some farms around here that grow milo and as I understand you have to wear protective masks and goggles to harvest it. It is mainly used, as I am told, as a cattle feed. I'd stay away from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just unloaded a load of milo!! (I work at a grain elevator) It IS very bothersome to work with. Very itchy and irritating. We use it here for cattle feed and bird feed. Never heard about feeding it to horses.

Milo is an easily digested starch because of its processing (the roasting), however its not a very cost effective grain, as, out of all the cereal grains, it takes the most processing to be palatable. Some people swear by it because it is very high in energy (more-so than oats or barley), but will not cause your horse to be 'hot.'

Some people like it, some people don't. The most important thing of course is to make sure that if your ration is balanced.

Latest posts

Back