Has anyone ever give their horses bananas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't reeeeeally know...I think I have heard of it before.

but Wildflower Horse Treats makes a banana raisin flavor for horses.

I've never gotten them...I stick to the classics...apples and carrots.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I just read in a horse magazine(can't remember which one), that horses prefer bananas over apples or carrots. Bananas are just fine to feed to horses.
default_yes.gif
:

Our lot get the odd bit of 'narna. Not a lot, just a bit now and again for a treat. Some love it some hate it.

Just be sure to peel them. My brother / sister in law gave their elderly pony bananas and did not peal them and I think that's a big reason why she died, of colic, a few days later after a lot of suffering. I just couldn't hardly believe the entire situation about her getting sick and how they handled it (or did not handle it really...).

Oh my gosh, how sad, I would definately peel them. That is good to know that peeled they are fine.

I, too, read in a magazine that horses prefered the tastes of bananas to apples or carrots, and cherries came right after bananas.

After I read that, I went out and gave each of my horses a bite, none of them really liked it, and only one completely ate it, the rest just spit it out
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I tried once. It was spit right out after. Eeewie. They take after me, I can't stand the taste/texture.

Never knew bananas?

I have not found a horse that does not like the candies called (goodies, cover coated licorice)

Try them.
default_wub.png
: similar to this

ValentineLicorice-Pastels.jpg

:saludando: Bananas sound good .. never heard of them given to horses .. i think my ponies would like them for sure..
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I haven't try bananas yet, but I will next time I have bananas on hand.

I did try apricots the other day. :lol: I was eating an apricot, so gave a little piece to each of my yearling fillies. Both took their piece; Tana spit hers out and wouldn't try again, but Showgirl... She took her piece, ate it, made a face (curled her lip) and took another piece; she repeated this 3 or 4 times before she quit curling her lip.

Found out Dyfra likes Banana's.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Was sitting there eating one, turned my head to talk with my son, turned back around and she had eaten the last half of it.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My guys LOVE dried nanas!! As a matter of fact that is what I was given Vernon when I took my avi pic LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I never tried bananas, but I give my horses grapes every night while they are in season. We have a vineyard and I pick 10 grapes for each horse(that's 200 grapes) I also pick 20 for me.

Sandy

Never tried bananas - but I did discover today that my big horse is keeping the area under the pear tree cleaned up. Thought it was very odd when he turned his nose up at an apple the other day. Guess now I know why.......he was full of pears.

Most of ours love bananas. Some of the new additions are not fond of them but most have gotten to love them. They seem to like the peels just as well. Before anyone jumps on this we cut the peels up into small peices about 1" x 2". One banana peel will feed several minis a treat. Usually give about 3 small peices if there is enough to go around. We usually eat the bananas and save the peels for the horses as feeding banana can get messy.

We never would have tried it but the first 3 girls we bought came with instruction that they love bananas and peels as well for treats. They got used to banana flavor from some type of wormer?

As with everything feed in moderation!!!!

Mark

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Well I have never tried banana's, but I will. I think what is important here is that when you try something, that you should try it a little at a time first to see if they will have a reaction, but for the most part I have never seen a horse/pony/mini have a reaction to any foods they natural don't eat.

My Dad raised a wonderful garden every year and he was always throwing veggies over the fence to the horses. They would eat potatoes, turnips, cucs, most any root and of course loved the corn-stalk and all. I couldn't eat much on my horse as he would hear me chewing and stop-of course wanting some too whatever it was...LOL :lol: They ate lots of fruit too. The only thing we never fed was sugar cubes-too sweet
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I had a pony who would eat and try anything..bread, cookies, candy bars..drink pop right out of a can. My dad even feed him some beer from a can once! The pony hated eggs though, but would bite the egg everytime it was offered to him...funny guy! :bgrin

Dad said, you couldn't feed cows apples or anything of the likes as they would just keep swallowing them until they would choke. I never saw it happen, but he said he saw many cows die that way..UGH
default_wacko.png
:

My stallion loves grapes! Mostly we feed apples and carrots, but we don't hand feed them and always cut them up small.

Good topic and funny too! :aktion033:

Jenny

We had a big strawberry patch a few years ago and my two little dwarfs would stand around the fence and beg (pawing the ground until they got some). They loved them. All my horses also like watermelon. :aktion033:

I was wondering that if our eating bananas makes us more attractive to mosquitos, wouldn't it be the same for horses? I think, if I were to feed a banana to my horse it would NOT be in mosquito season.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back