Has anyone ever give their horses bananas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_yes.gif
: I have always used bananas as treats , the riper, the better. And OF COURSE I always peel them. Some of my wee ones like them, so don't.

Speaking of treats, I discovered yesterday that my girls LOVE popsicles, but you gotta be careful, mine TRIED to eat the stick and all.

We found out that our Arab loved bananas in an odd way...We were showing at the NC State Fair. Well, Saturday night was fireworks extravaganza night. He exploded along with the fireworks so we started feeding him anything that would help him stay calm. Bananas were the ticket! :aktion033:

He also loved Mountain Dew and would steal any anattended can.

Marlene

It's been my experience that horses will learn to eat just about anything except the medicine that's good for them. They're just like kids in that way.

I had one many years ago that we were told would drink Pepsi from the bottle (now you know how long ago). I figured with their teeth that a glass bottle just wasn't a good idea!

My QH mare always wanted a bite of whatever I was eating - apples etc.

My minis - well, the older gelding will eat just about anything that doesn't move away. Good thing shirts aren't good tasting! My stud and filly that I got when they were so young had to be taught to eat treats of any flavor. The fact that they were larger than regular food and had a stronger flavor made them spit them out at first.

Taking a carrot flavored treat was the one thing that made me chose my little stud at 1 1/2 yr. old. He took it so carefully and polite for one so young. He and one young mare were the only ones of the entire selection at the breeders that would accept treats. It's a good thing I had the flavor that he liked because he still won't eat peppermint.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom's dressage horse, Spud, loves cantaloupe.

Also, the arab I used to show, Topz, well he would lick MT. Dew out of my hand if I cupped some for him. I know someone else mentioned that also. Must be all the sugar..LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out horses love bananas a few years ago when my saddlebred grabbed the banana I was eating in front of him. Some of mine like it some don't but it's not the taste but the texture because I have found that they all love the taste of the "lik-it" for horses and I usually buy banana or cherry, or mint, or.... :bgrin

I just finished a box of Wildflower Horse Treats banana raisin flavor and the whole crew loved them. They all smacked their lips eating them. A big treat!! They actually smelled good enough to eat myself.

Living in FL I have 'naner trees close to a few paddocks on the farm, 2 of my big horses will eat Everything on the tree! Leaves, 'naner's , you name it! :new_shocked:

I finally had to cut alot of the tree back due to my fear of impaction.

Most still steal a leaf or two when we wander by, and the minis seems to like the 'naner's as long as someone is feeding it to them.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I have one mini here who swears that children are just vending machines for Him!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back