Has anyone ever been scamed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNC MINIS

Reaction score
I recently bought a harness off from the sale board I sent the money order priority delivery conformation so I know they recieved the payment now they will not return any of my e-mails and the number I was given just rings and rings

is there anything I can do?

Christy

If you have not already done so, report this to Mary Lou (LB owner) IMMEDIATELY at [email protected] and provide her with ALL details. She will try to help you as much as she can. Good Luck! People like that do not belong on LB!!
default_no.gif

Oh NO! That is terrible. I sure don't know about your money order situation, bet I have been scammed using PayPal for purchases TWICE! You'd think I would have learned the first time! And to the tune of almost $800! I can tell you, PayPal is NOT a safe way to go!

I will be watching this thread to see what the suggestions are. I sure hope you can get this resolved.

Charlotte

bet I have been scammed using PayPal for purchases TWICE! You'd think I would have learned the first time! And to the tune of almost $800! I can tell you, PayPal is NOT a safe way to go!
Yes, a good word of warning with PayPal. I thought it was as safe as having a certified check or money order.

Found out the hard way. I sold a dog for $1,400 and they paid by credit card on PayPal, then disputed the charges over a month later. PayPal takes that money right out of my bank and then charged me another $40 for them being involved.

The guy had his dog too and I had proof that they picked the dog up and signed for it with their drivers licence, so it was the right guy. I contacted him and all was resolved, but here it is 10 days later and PayPal has still not given me my money back, nor will they respond to my e-mails.

For now on it is either wire the money or send me a money order. I have a special savings account set up for wired money where no one can write a check off of it, or take any money out of it except for me, when I go into the bank and do it in person. (since they are going to have the account number and wiring instructions, one has to be careful)

But yes, let Mary Lou know. It may also be that the psople are out of town, it is the season for vacations.

Good luck

Yes..paypal will really screw you over.. I don't think it's right that they will take the money from an account if there is any "question" about the money. That should be the last step of the process after they have "investigated". I can see putting a hold on the account so no more money can be taken out of it..but when they did that to me.. it really screwed up my account. Because they now require it to go to a bank account for back up.. it withdrew all that money from my OTHER ACCOUNT which gave me TONS of overdrafts. it was not my fault and needless to say it really P*ssed me off! i think paypal should be responsible for that. It's not like they didn't have all my info IF they did decide i was at fault to come get me then. rediculous!

I really don't like dealing with paypal. I think we may have possibly found a reasonably priced alternative "check out" for my web page that doesn't charge you an arm and leg to accept credit cards though so we'll probably start doing that.

You CAN put a stop payment on a money order too if you still have the receipt!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on paypal ! NEVER AGAIN................NEVER EVER!

They will do exactly what you have described, offer no explaination of what and why they did it and provide NO PHONE number to call them, the only contact is via email at their convenience and usually takes several days for a response at that. You answer one little question and it takes another 2-3 days for a response.

Unbelievable.........

Folks, A little thing about paypal..... Paypal is really for the business, where large amounts and large lump sums will be taken out, or deposits will be put back in. My father owns a business, and paypal is the ONLY thing he uses. We have had very bad expirences with moneys orders and checks. Paypal gets such a bad rap to the point where it's ridiculous.....Alright, fire away at me, yell at me,
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
but if you think about it, it is safer than most things.

Alyssa (who is trying to state a point)

I have never had a problem with Paypal. ( and I have been using it for as long as it has existed)The thing is you need to keep good records and receipts for everything. The only issue I ever had with them was with a video camera I sold on ebay ( very high dollar one at that) When it did not arrive in a week the buyer did contact paypal and they put a freeze on my account. We were able to track down the camera ( NEVER will use the post office for high dollar items again) and they unfroze the account. I had all the receipts showing it had been shipped, and even called the PO on the other end to be sure it had not been picked up.

The only time I did get scammed was when I bought a camera off ebay and paid with cashiers check. The camera never came and I was out $2200. had I paid with paypal I would have gotten at least some if not all the money back.

How terrible! I hope you can get this resolved! Maybe they had a car accident or something keeping them from day to day. Lets hope it truely isn't a scam. I have had someone take my $35 and run on a couple used helmets I was buying to donate to the club so that if they had leadline kids show up without helmets, there was some there for them to use. But never got the helmets and they never contacted me. I left a nasty note for her on the sale board on the forum I was part of to warn others not to buy from her. But never got my money back.

PayPal is a great way to receive deposits. But both Larry and I agree that for large amounts and/or pay-offs it's probably not the way to go.......

I had a bad experience with paypal where some how they sent DOUBLE
default_gaah.gif
the amount I was supposed to be paying. The receipt and everything was correct, I double checked the numbers before it went through and the next thing I know I check my balance and it had taken more then what was supposed to go!!!
default_no.gif

Thankfuly I got it straightened around but I think I am going to stay away from paypal from now on.
default_wacko.png

I really hope everything works out for you!!
default_cheekkiss.gif

Seriously folks, paypal is not the worst thing on earth. Your acting as if it's going to make the world come to an end.......

Alyssa

There are other things that we have to be concerned about. Usually, the seller scammer is the one to blame.

There are other things that we have to be concerned about.
Of course there are, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be aware that paypal isn't quite as dependable as some would like to think.

Usually, the seller scammer is the one to blame.
Perhaps, but that's no consolation to the person who gets ripped off by a buyer!
I don't use paypal, and won't. There have been a couple sellers here (auction and saleboard) who have lost out on a sale because they would accept nothing but paypal...perhaps the saleboard item sold elsewhere; the auction item didn't--it was relisted several times & never got a bid.

No, I closed my Paypal account as soon as I realised that it could take as much as it wanted out of my account.

I have laws in place here to protect me from this happening and to make sure I get refunded if it does, but I have NO control over Paypal, so, no not for me, not any more.

Some people cannot afford to have large amounts (or any amount) of money withdrawn, even if they get it back eventually!!

I sure hope this matter can get resolved. On a side note, I'm finding this thread interesting regarding Paypal. I had the exact opposite problem with Paypal. I had ordered a handmade western bit through an online tack store. A couple of months passed by and I had no bit and couldn't get the seller to return any of my phone calls, I got Paypal involved and they wouldn't do anything for me. Basically, because they felt I should have acted sooner. Well, it was custom made and I was told they had no idea how long it would take to make. Thank goodness I had paid with my Visa through Paypal and Visa stepped in and my money was refunded that day.

Hey I purchased 200.00 worth of slinkeys for my horse , used Pay Pal. but never got the order . the seller wouldnt accept unidentified phone calls or a fax, and I sent her several e-mails that she claimed she didnt get, but one was an autimated response that she was on vacation..Finally I did get a cell phone number from her and left a message , then got an e-mail saying "oh yea" i,ll send that , and soon...Pay pal couldnt help..maybe because I am in Switzerland ? I still dont have the stuff. Its very upsetting. anything I can do ? She sells slinkeys out of Colorado, I purchased 3...thats a lot of cash

The only time I did get scammed was when I bought a camera off ebay and paid with cashiers check. The camera never came and I was out $2200. had I paid with paypal I would have gotten at least some if not all the money back.

uwharrie, this is exactly what happened to me and Pay Pal would do NOTHING! If you don't get your merchandise you are just outta luck! Don't go to Pay Pal for help! Our case was even investigated and reported on one of our national news affiliates but even that didn't help! By the way, the credit card company involved was 'Whats in your wallet'! They wouldn't help us either and took MONTHS and many many forms filled out before they said......SORRY!!!!!

So bottom line is........know your merchant if you are buying!

Charlotte

They will do exactly what you have described, offer no explaination of what and why they did it and provide NO PHONE number to call them, the only contact is via email at their convenience and usually takes several days for a response at that.
Ummm, I am scratching my head here as I have talked to PayPal customer service over the telephone several times about issues.

I would like to offer that I have always had wonderful experiences with PayPal. The handful of times that I have been in the know about a situation with a person having a problem with PayPal, that person did not abide by PayPal's rules or time lines and, in my mind, that does not make that person's problem PayPal's fault. I have even gotten my money back (as a buyer) when I have encountered dishonest sellers on online auction sites on more than one occasion.

anyone have that customer service number of Pay Pal??? I have some items that someone owes me , and Pay Pal promised me a speedy and efficent service ...yea of giving my money to a crook

Back