Has Anyone Ever Used Lutalyse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
So, my 34" poop head stallion went over 2 4' mesh and board fences, under 2 VERY hot electric ones, and managed to potentially 'consummate his marriage' with my 12.2hh filly. Jerk. The same stud stood tied dead quietly next to her on the trailer at a show during her last heat cycle. She was winking and squirting and he knew it wasnt time and what he was there to do. GUess he has other ideas at home..

She is just hardly 2, and having trouble keeping weight on in work as is. A pregnancy is by no means an option for her.

I have access to lutalyse (well, ok, I have two CASES of lutalyse, thanks to milking 600 cows that are on synch programs!), well versed in handling it (probably give 30-40 bovine doses a week) and have been talking with my vet all week about it - the luxury of a weekly vet visit on the farm! We have set a time, and a proper date based on exposure time, and figured up the dose. He thinks I am plenty capable of doing this all on my own (I do vet work on a 600 cow dairy), however warned me it will look ugly - even though it really isn't that bad.

Supposedly she will shake and sweat and carry on like her uterus is killing her, but it wont last long. He says NOT to give banamine as it is an anti prostaglandin unless she is dangerously trying to hurt herself in pain.

Has anyone ever used it? What was your experience? Its really anti-climatic in cattle, just magically in 3-5 days they are more times than not in a rip roaring 'do me now' heat providing the right ovarian structure was there when it was given, I know how and why and the science behind it, but havent ever used it on a horse!

I haven't used that exact drug but used something similar in Australia last year. Exact same symptoms as your vet has described, lasted about half an hour and she was back in heat in 3 days.

She sweated a little but that was the biggest symptom I noticed.

There was someone else in this section that used something recently like this but hers was given over three doses. The one my vet gave here was only the ONE dose.

Hope this helps
default_smile.png

It does Ryan! Everything I've read so far makes it sound super scary, even though my vet keeps telling me I've handled worse!

My vet said sometimes it is given over 3 days in horses to 'kill the ovarian structure with fire.' Because I have exact heat dates and exact exposure dates we are very confident that the correct structure will be there and solid on the day we chose - and therefore we won't need to 'kill the CL dead.'

Lutalyse is estrumate btw - same hormone! Just a big shot of prostaglandin to regress the CL (cycle 'holding' ovarian structure essential to pregnancy), make some uterine contractions, and bring her into heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing and started reading everything I could and I was scared out of my wits , but my vet kept reassuring as yours has and everything was ok.

Keep us posted
default_smile.png

I used it on two mares last year and they promptly began sweating (as sweat POURING OFF of them) and shaking.

They're not pregnant right now and I didn't know if they were then, but there was a slight chance.

I've only had it done once, in a single dose, and after some sweating and discomfort, all was well.

Lutalyse (dinoprost) is not the same as Estrumate (cloprostenol), but they are analogs of the same hormone prostaglandin.

The differences are:

1) Lutalyse dose changes with weight, Estrumate does not

2) Lutalse causes more sweating, cramping, colickiness; but both are quite safe

3) Lutalyse is cheaper/dose

4) Most studies show Estrumate works better, but the difference is minimal

To produce an abortion consistently either needs to be given after a CL forms (about day 5) and before the placenta produces it's own progesterone (about day 140). I generally give 2 doses 24 hours apart after day 14, after I've determined pregnancy via ultrasound (if she's not pregnant, then it's not needed) and the ultrasound is repeated 14 days later to prove the abortion worked (nothing is 100%).

Dr. Taylor

I have used it on a mare, but the symptoms weren't nearly as bad as I was expectiing. (Thank goodness!) Sweating and crampy/uncomfortable, but not super bad by any means.

Dr. Taylor, we so appreciate your input on this forum. Please continue to educate us all!!

we are using lutalyse because that is what I have on hand and therefore do not need to pay for. I was told not to give banamine as it has anti prostaglandin powers - and I also hate giving it. Far over used in my opinion for it's residues and side effects, plus it would be a PITA to get it IV in a crampy mare. She's a drama queen!

We are going for day 28 - only because I have a show on day 14. I do not have a vet in my area reasonably priced that will do an equine ultrasound. I am not comfortable arming a horse even though I'm past 1000 pregnancies and god only. knows how many services and checks on cows - nor is my vet. He has really big arms, she is really tiny. We will not be ultrasounding. He is confident in his decisions.

Thank you all for the support! It sounds so scary!

Latest posts

Back