Harness saddle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would a harness saddle work for attaching a set of bells? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a harness saddle work for attaching a set of bells? Is there a cheaper alternative?
What are you wanting to do with them? I made a set one year buying some loose bells and putting them on a ribbon and just basically tying them around their necks loosely. I wouldn't want to put them around the girth without really securing them in case they slide backwards I could see that ending badly. They will make plenty of jingly noise around the base of the neck.
default_smile.png
Good Luck with your project.

Karen

You could tie them on the terrets of the saddle. I saw that on a turn-out with fjords.

Be sure to practice with them instead of just hitch up and go. If the horse isn't used to them, that could end badly, too.

Myrna (short posts from my IPod. My computer crashed.)

Hi folks,

Thank you, I should have been more clear. We are not driving. I will just be leading them for a Christmas party. They are heavy bells on leather. I was thinking that a harness saddle would give good support.

I use Belly dancing bells on Maggie. The sound is soft and lovely. And I have them so she can wear them about her neck.

Big traditional Sleigh bells on mini's are just over whelming and so loud you can't hear yourself talk.

The heavy driving bells, if that is what you have, will hang under the horse. You can attach them to a saddle, but they won't want to stay on top. It might be best to go ahead and let them hang under the horse, as they were intended. You might be able to drape them like a breast collar. They ARE very noisy! Walking is not so loud but trotting is a racket!

If you are talking about the strap of bells such as hangs by a door, they would be easier to work with. I use those attached to a breast collar, but they would easily attach to a saddle.

I attach bells to fabric velcroed around the hoof. When we do holiday parades we are very noisy!

Yes, be sure to practice first! Some hroses think it is cool, and some think the bells are scary monsters.

Back