hardship inspectors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Hello

I am looking at a mare that I would like to hardship into AMHA if I get her.

Could someone tell me is it only the directors of your area that can do the inspection or is there other places or people that are qualified to do (like at a show)?

Thanks for the help.

I emailed AMHA weeks ago with that exact question and never got an answer.
default_rolleyes.gif

Lucy

Hi,

I went through this last year. It has to be a director, but I believe can be past or present. The director in my "area" was further away then a director in another "area". Plus the director in the other "area" was showing at a show I was so I hauled the mare with me. I just had to do the paperwork way in advance so he had his paperwork from the AMHA when we met up at the show.

I believe it has to be a past or present director from any region. If you know one will be at a show you are going to then you can arrange to have it done there.

By the way, I just attended the AMHA Certified Measurer's Clinic and several directors mentioned that they hope that anyone with a horse they want hardshipped in will make sure the horse's feet are properly trimmed and trained enough to stand still to be measured. They can only measure what is presented to them and if the horse's feet are too long or the horse is too unruly, they are unlikely to get an accurate measurement. They cannot 'guess' what the horse would measure if it's feet were trimmed or if it stood still.

AMHA August 2009 Teleconference.

Hardship Measuring

Mike Want made the following motion "Any and all hardship measurement from

this day forward is to be made by a current Board Member. This standing rule is

being put in place as an emergency measure" Joanne Ross second. PASSED

UNANIMOUSLY. This standing rule will take effect immediately.

Yep, has to be a CURRENT director only. I went through this last year, which was fun because we have none in the entire state, but I lucked out when one came from CA to a show here and I was able to meet up with them there.

As a current board member and having completed the measuring clinic I would like to give a few suggestions that will help us with our job of hardshipping horses into AMHA.

First of all, we want to HELP you to register your horse with AMHA.

The first thing you need to do is contact Registration at AMHA and tell them that you would like to hardship a horse. They will then contact a director either in your region, or the director closest to you. I have mostly been asked to hardship horses in neighboring states... not my region, but I was the closest director.

When it is decided who will conduct your hardship inspection the you and the inspector will receive a packet from AMHA. You will need to pull hair on mares and stallions for DNA AND the inspector will also need to pull hair for DNA testing. YOU may not hand the inspector the hair from the horse for them to send in, the inspector will have to pull the hair themselves. You do not have to DNA test a gelding.

To help things go more smoothly,it is quite helpful to have a horse that will stand for the few minutes it takes for us to get an accurate measurement. While we realize that most horses we are going to hardship are not going to be seasoned show horses, it would be helpful, if your horse is not used to standing, to work with it before we arrive so that we can position the legs and place the measuring stick on the horses back.

If you are hardshipping a horse, especially if the horse is in the 33-34" range please make sure that the horse has had it's feet trimmed recently. ESPECIALLY if I am traveling hours just to hardship your horse. I can not make an allowance for hoof growth.

In the winter months, some people may want to clip the area around the mane and withers... that doesn't really matter....the last mane hair is the last mane hair.

Have an idea where we can measure on a hard surface that is flat and level. We cannot measure in a field.

We also need to see teeth for mares and stallions,and for stallions, check testicles. It is helpful if when we examine the horse it isn't the first time these exams have been attempted.
default_wink.png

You will need to take photographs of your horse for the registration, but also understand that the person inspecting is required to take photographs to submit with their report.

It is helpful if you can arrange transport to a show or to the inspector. Remember, YOU are having only one or maybe a few horses inspected, but those inspecting horses may have quite a few requests to examine horses within a short time.

Julie thank you for taking the time to respond.
default_aktion033.gif

These are great tips for us to remember.

Back