Handlers during the class?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like Danielee said and to add, they want the horse to pay attention, and it is really hard to achieve that when the class runs so long. Believe me those handlers are sweating it out showing those horses.

Is it because the handlers are tall and are trying to get down to the horse's level? If so, I may have an advantage as I'm barely 5' ... When I stretch my horses' necks, I don't have to bend and contort my body.

Oh, I know... I've shown once... It was my first show and it was hard enough for me to keep my own attention... I was so excited and looking around and talking that I got placed 3rd for my A gelding... The judge told me later that I talked too much! My B gelding won 1st, tho!

Oh boy! Do I know where you are coming from too! I also started out quite the talker-same results! Learn through experience! My thoughts have always been that some are way too "expressive" in their search for getting them ears up; but I too have sweated it out big time. I like the slightly less "spastic" approach if possible- and am always seeking ways to do it without being a distraction to the other horses, handlers and even the judge. I use more hand, wrist and arm movement (like you, I am 5', so I get away with less body contortions). My guys love the sound of cellophane (yum-peppermint candies),, but they can get bored with that too. So that's when I start the 'mystery game'- what's in my pocket, what's behind my back, nice and slow, fist up and flip it back down and back, etc. etc. Kind of like tantalizing and hypnotizing a child. It also keeps me from getting bored if the class is large too. In other words, keep me and the horse 'occupied' and amused (and hopefully them ears up and neck where it belongs). It's an art in itself and can be fun to work at and perfect. I try not to overdue it at home, so that in the ring it stays more interesting for them.

I think the contortions are a result of 'copycat' from watching someone else do it and think it should be done. If you watch some of the oldtime trainers out there they are NOT doing that. I showed for almost 20 years and never found it necessary to do that, to scrunch and twist around and down . All one has to do is lower ones arm to the horse's level or hold your arm up high and as the horse reaches upward, slowly lower your arm to your desired height and keep your body upright. I also do not like all that jerking the lead over and over, watching this show lets one see which handler overdoes it, it does not look good to the audience; and the resulting head bobbing. It is hard to keep your horse 'up' in class of 40 horses, but when the judge is not near you, you can let your horse relax a bit and then start to 'show' as the judge comes your way. Yes, everyone is sweating up a storm out there.. these national classes are very intense, but one should make an effort to look cool calm and collected and the horse as well. It is wonderful to see a horse with a natural unforced 'presence', a pleasure to watch. Showing the foals is such a challenge!

The 'chicken dance' is very annoying to watch IMO--and it is not necessary. Apparently the handlers don't notice, but most of their horses simply learn to ignore all the gyrations. I saw one handler yesterday that looked quite grotesque in the way she was twisting her arm and body!

And madmax I so agree about the jerking on the lead--saw some yesterday that were really bad for that. Not sure why they think that helps because in pretty much every case the horse looked worse, not better, for moments after the chain snapped them.

I also hate how handlers are standing and listening to the class results--and when their number is called they take off running and pop the horse with the chain when they hit the end of the lead. Seriously people, think of the horse for just an instant--it only takes a second for you to chirp at your horse to get his attention, then you can both take off together to claim that award.

Yeah I cant stand it when they pop that lead rope because honestly there is not reason for it. I also think as other the over doing of body movements is distracting and to me looks unprofessional. I like seeing the suttle but effective movements some of the others do just looks so much better; that way you are looking at the horse not the handler.

Yes. I agree with you all. I think small subtle movements are better. I guess that was what I was trying to explain in my other post. I try to keep my hand and arm movements 'quiet'. And I agree with the no 'popping' too. There is nothing prettier than to see a horse and handler doing things 'effortlessly', as though they are one mind.

OH I so agree after watching some of this year that the handlers are snapping the lead too much. As a senior citizen I need to get my horse to set up by there self, I can't do all those contortions, and to sanp the lead so much is to get their attention, but, this year, I've seen it used when unnecessary. Also something I noticed during obstacle, when asked to do a ground tie, handlers where snapping the lead. Sanpping the lead should be a correction, not a cue.

Being a musician (saxophone), I once had a master class clinician tell me to express it with my horn, not with my shoulders. A bit embarrassing, but true. The gyrations don't do anything but amuse those watching.

Watch a pro like Belinda Bagby or Syndi Kanzler, or a top amateur like Erica Killion. They are using tricks that work. Belinda occasionally grabs a handful of dirt and lets it dribble through her fingers, much to her horses' fascination. Erica's horses are on full alert when she reaches into her pockets (not sure if she uses crinkly wrappers or if it's just the promise of a treat).

I agree about the constant lead snapping and the lack of respect some people show their horses. On the other hand, I love watching those who earn their horses' love and respect with gentle but firm handling -- especially the babies. Extra bonus points to those whose first action when released to the rail or upon leaving the ring is to reward their horse. For example, I love watching James Walsh -- his horses obviously love showing for him. Another amateur to watch is the owner of the reserve champion over stallion -- I forget her name (if you're on here, please let me know -- I thoroughly enjoyed watching you and your beautiful boy).

I too hate seeing handers jurking/tugging on those leads, but never is it more apparent than on the sales that are broadcast live! I love to tune in to watch, but always end up switching off as I cannot stand watching the sales handlers confusing most of those beautiful animals by their contstant jerking on the leads. Makes me soooooooooooooooooo cross and upset! I dont know why someone doesn't complain.

Please remember folks, these are amateurs and more than likely are not going to show like the professionals. That's why you hire a trainer. They can usually if not always show better than us. Until you've shown your horse at a National or World level in a very long stressful class, please try and not pass judgement.

Sorry samplemm but we see handlers doing the chicken dance even at local shows. As for those that are jerking the lead shanks, some of the worst offenders are the professional trainers. We also see amateur handlers jerking their horses at local shows--sometimes I have to think it is a nervous habit, because I see people doing it even when the class has gone to the rail and the horses are no longer being shown or judged.

If it is a nervous habit...people should be aware they are doing it and make the effort to stop!

The bending at very very odd angles is more of an immature thing, I do a very very reserved version of that but sometimes you do what you have to do to get a good show out of your pony. Now most of my classic ponies are like 40-44" so I really don't have to do the bending as much anymore LOL.

As for the popping of the lead rope, its actually more like a shank on the lead rope, and if you know anything about showing these ponies it is nearly impossible to teach a GOOD TOP OF HIS GAME show pony to stand and show without some extend of shanking the lead rope. There are for worse things one could do.

Latest posts

Back