Halter sizes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrockmommy

Reaction score
Obviously I don't have any minis yet, but I was at the farm co-op today for chicken feed and noticed beautiful leather halters. There were several sizes, and it looked like "suckling" was the smallest size, next one up was weanling. They weren't terribly expensive either, around twenty bucks.

I might take my measuring tape next time we visit the minis and measure, maybe one of the sizes will fit. Love the leather.

default_smile.png

My minis (both under 32") fit in foal halters (nylon). The mini sized nylon halters from regular stores are too big.

I don't know if leather halters are sized differently, though.

My mini (34") wears Suckling size halters, I tried buying mini halters, but apparently she has a fat head.
default_risa_suelos.gif
Luckily I bought the halter at a local store and was able to take it in and exchange. My mother did dig out her old QH foal show halter and that fits her as well, but it adjusts from newborn size up to weanling. I think measuring is your best option as those little horses are all so crazy different!
default_smile.png

If it helps as well, my girl's head is 28" from each corner of her mouth around the back of her ears and maybe about 16" or 17" around her nose where the noseband sits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's rather hard to buy halters. I have quite a collection, and each fits differently. I've had a leather one from Ozark for about 13 -14 years. It has fit the majority of mine, due to being adjustable on both sides of the poll. It's not nice enough to go out in public anymore, but still works great and is a go-to halter.

Latest posts

Back