Halter Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMR

Reaction score
I've been working on Halter lately, thinking about showing. We've got standing down pat, but we need to work on the actual moving part. He walks on the lead rope fine,almost . I use a 12 foot lead rope, and and he is usually about four feet behind me. When I go to trot he just keeps on walking. Shaking a whip behind doesn't work, just makes him run from the whip(I have desensitized him to the whip, I guess just not good enough). The only time I can get him to trot is if I run down a hill. Any tips on getting him to trot?

I always keep looking ahead when I go into the trot so they know it is ok. If you look back at them they think you are unsure and if you are unsure they might not want to follow.

I also like the voice command too, if you do them while they are in the action (they could be in the pen just trotting or on a lunge line, whatever it takes.) then they start to associate it with the word and will start to do it.

Might you try bribing? I like to use treats to help make it more enjoyable.

I hope I helped. And keep trying!
default_yes.gif
:

Stephanie

I've found for the more stubborn ones (I have one now that is giving me some trouble with this), it works best if someone ELSE is a few feet behind with the lunge whip not YOU. If you're trying to lead him, and pop the whip, it will only make him shy sideways, or jump backwards... if someone is behind him, he'll more likely keep up with you. It's worked in the past for me.

Lunging is also good all around, but I've really found the second person to be very helpful in this particular instance.

This is neat because I just came across the same situation =) I've been working with my new yearling colt on walking on a leadline because he's only been on one twice before I brought him home. He learned in one day how to walk, and whoa, at my voice command and by just watching my motions. He is super smart! However, I can't for the life of me get him to trot on command...lol same thing as you, i'll be the one trotting ahead while he just walks behind me looking at me like i'm a freak! I even tried really lifting my knee's high so he would see what I was doing and he still looked at me like a freak!

I think it just takes time and a lot of reassurance on their behalf. They're taught to be gentle around humans and to move slowly, so to suddenly be asked to perk up and trot around you is different and awkward! Just reassure him that trotting is what you want him to do, voice command is a great idea, say "Trot" in a crisp, clear, medium-loud voice (not sweet, soft and coo-like!) and pull on the leadrope a bit so he understands you want him to move faster...just a little pressure, not yanking. Remember, a good lesson taught is a good lesson remembered! and always always end on a good note with him so that is the last thing he remembers about you.

Good luck!

I even tried really lifting my knee's high so he would see what I was doing and he still looked at me like a freak!

I am so laughing at the visual picture of you doing this. I can empathize with the colt in this situation. I can just see his little thought bubble as he looks back at the barn to see if anyone ELSE is watching, cause, you know, mom is being embarrassing. LOL

[SIZE=14pt]right before I ask for the trot I take the hand that has the lead and push it forward and then either say "trot" or cluck. I practice everyone for showmanship so that in regular halter they learn to move off at a trot when they catch my arm moving forward. In halter....it doesnt matter where the horse is trotting in relationship to you. Often I go all the way out to the end of the lead and let the horse move out BEHIND me so that I am not blocking the judges view when we make the turn. In showmanship the horses shouler and your shoulder should be in line.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I'm gonna pop another question: What do you do if a mini likes to canter, or PULLS on the lead?

Joy goes from stand to walk to speed trotting w/ bucks to canter if she is given the lead... I would love to do what Lyn does with Joy, Joy just doesn't like trotting. I have been working with her and she IS getting ALOT better, I'd just like to see what you guys would do for that type of problem. :saludando:

As for this post, I say "T-trot", pull the lead forward & TAP the horse on the rump w/ a dressage whip; following afew clucks to encourage the faster movement. I also pick up my pace a bit. Surprise usually urges(sp) them forwards

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing you need to do is get the horse at your side, not behind you. I've never had good luck using a whip of any sort with the minis. I've had much better luck moving them forward with a soft cotton butt rope. As for your second problem, I wouldn't give them enough lead to do that. She can't go fast and buck if she is close to your side where she belongs.

Wait until he wants to trot- ie back towards his stall/feed, or possibly out of his stall towards the paddock. Have him up at your side, never allow him to lag back. You can practise that at the walk. Also practise making him walk slower so you gain control over his movements. Once he is confident walking at your side and having his speed controlled by you it will not matter to him if you are asking him to speed up or slow down, control is control. Same goes for you Desiree, do not fuss about , just quietly get control. Do not ask her to trot until you are pretty sure you can stop her- so work on a rock solid "whoa" from walk, that should then work in trot. Nice slow trots and lots of "whoas", and then slip in a couple of faster trots and some "whoas".

Get control. Once you have control it will work at any pace.

Please do not lunge a yearling!!!!
default_smile.png

Round penning helps so they get used to what your different vocal cues mean.

If you have someone to help you, you can have him/her clap or use a lunge whip to get the horse to trot in hand.

If it's just you, what I have done in the past is to take a driving or dressage whip and have that behind my back in my far hand and tap their rump with that when I give the cue and as I start to "trot" myself.

It works
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back