Halter Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallgateminis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you all. Here it is, my filly has this very bad habit.That is leaning. When ever Im home practicing with her or in the show ring she loves to lean, when she uses her neck. She even leans when she stands there.

I have tried pretty much everything to break this but she still does it.
wacko.gif
Any suggestions?

Is she leaning forward or to the side?

If forward, try standing on the other side of a fence or gate and asking them to stretch their neck. (Of course, this is easier with a tall mini or a short fence, LOL!)

First make certain your horse understands "whoa." Bring them as close to the fence as possible before asking for neck, so that the only way they can reach is with their neck.

Clicker training is great with this. When they stand as you wish, click, then give a treat or verbal praise (or both). At this stage, focus only on head and neck and ears...make certain he/she understands what is being asked and for what they are being rewarded, then try it with both of you inside the enclosure.

I'm sure more experienced show people will have their own methods, but this works for us.

Thanks sussane!

She accutually leans forward. Ill have to try your method. I just hope she doesnt brake the fence board!
wacko.gif

Susanne's fence technique sounds like a great one.......I'll have to remember that!

(The trick is to have a fence the right height!
laugh.gif
)

To add to the fence idea is to set the horse up and have a crop out between you and the horse's chest. So if she leans, she'll be poked by the crop. At the same time, you offer her a treat so that she is extending her neck. After a few times, she should figure it out. It also discourages her from "creeping" forward, which they are tempted to do in the show ring.
rolleyes.gif

MA

It also discourages her from "creeping" forward, which they are tempted to do in the show ring. 
Hehe...or try to climb into your arms and bury his head in your chest, like Mingus! At his worst, he has been rebel and mama's boy at the same time...

Hmmm...

To solve you creeping problem, if the fence doesnt work, there are 2 methods. The first would be to put your foot in front of her feet, and make it so that your knee is right by her chest. If she leans to far forward, use yourknee to push her back.

My other method, which I don't reccomend for a baby, is to give them a smack in the chest with a nylon leadrope. I however only do this to a horse that is creeping. My boys got smacked twice or so, and haven't done it since. Once again, I DON'T reccomend this for a baby.

a better method for training halter horses then smacking them is to back them up and make them reset.

Latest posts

Back