Had a mare abort on us today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcwc

Reaction score
102_1085.jpg

102_1087.jpg

If it's as far along as I think then I have it narrowed down to either my sister's new mare or my Appy mare (the one carrying our first foal out of our new stallion Sky)

How far along do you all think it is?

Do you see the abnormality (at least I think it is) above the eye? Could it have caused enough damage for the mare to abort? It's to big and developed to possibly be a twin isn't it?

Happened sometime between 3 and 5 pm and of course it was a filly.. The mares seem fine, all five were checked by my parents and sister and none showed any signs of being the one that delivered it.. None have been ill and are eating and playing in the pasture..

im so sorry for your loss. its so heartbreaking. if you look at kims crayonbox site it gives gestation ages with pics of aborted foals.

I do see the abnormal spot above the eye. Not an expert for sure but I wonder if thats a sign of water on the brain?

Sorry about your loss. I see the abnormality and am also wondering is there something wrong with the ears? In the photos it looks like there is something wrong with the left ear (right side of photo). I'm sorry I can't help you at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I compared my photos with Crayon Box minis, and to me it looks closest to the 100 day gestation length.. The first thing I saw when I got the pics from my mom was the abnormal bump on the forehead, so I'm thinking something went wrong with the development of the brain and it ended up killing the foal and therefore the mare aborted..

The first mare in question is our newest black.white tobiano mare.. She was pasture bred starting June 22nd up until the day we brought her home here in October..

The second mare is my appy mare.. She was hand bred to Sky on June 24th, 26th and 27th.. She showed signs of heat again on July 27th and stood for him on that day, but tried to take his head off the following days.. She is huge, her belly is much bigger and lower than it was the whole time last year when she was carrying Axel..

*bumping back up*

Also, since the blaze is so definite, wouldn't you be able to see mottling on the muzzle or appy markings if it were my appy mare's? She's a snowcap, so is homozygous for appy characteristics and has always thrown a foal with a blanket/snow cap..

Just breaks my heart to see these fetuses. I'm sorry

He looks to be a good size, but the picture with the hand shows how small she really is. I am glad to hear the mare is well though.

I think it is probably farther along then that. I had one at 3 months that was for sure a pinto(had to be) but you couldnt see any difference in the skin like you can on this foal.

Also, since the blaze is so definite, wouldn't you be able to see mottling on the muzzle or appy markings if it were my appy mare's?
You wouldn't see any mottling, I don't think, but there would be some parti-cloured skin, perhaps. We lost a foal several years ago, around the same level of gestation, and the skin was black and white; from an appy mare.

I'm sorry for you and your mare. It's a shame when this happens, but it's usually for a good reason - not that that makes it easier to deal with.

My uneducated opinion is that this fetus is older than 90 days. It's larger than I would expect and it's more developed in the facial features than one I had abort at 90 days. I do see the bump on the head and I agree with Sheryl that one of the ears looks deformed. Please keep an eye on your mares for the next few days - she may start to show signs of an infection.

Again, sorry for this.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think you're right in guessing around 100 days. It's awful when you don't know which mare it's from. There isn't any discharge from any of the mares? Sometimes their tails look a little yucky(great scientic term).

3 1/2 months - 4 months I would say.

I do not see anything wrong enough with this foetus to cause abortion but it has been "dumped" at exactly the time in the pregnancy when "these things happen"

I am so sorry for this, it is a terrible thing to have to find, but you do need to ascertain for sure which mare had it- she may need flushing or antibiotics.

An ultrasound of the mares you suspect would be the easiest way if no mare was showing a particular interest in the foetus.

Whenever I have had this happen personally ( three or four times now, I think) the mare concerned has always stood over it, but it does depend on the mare.

I would put it down to back luck- that's not Hydrocephalus, by the way, so do not worry about that!!

So sorry you had this loss. I was going to suggest Kim's site but I see others have already told you.

Joyce

I, too, am very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

Sorry for your loss................I know how you feel my mare lost her baby........and it was 112 days along.....

Just wanted to update you all, talked to mom this morning and she all the mares are doing good, all are eating, they looked them over again and still can not find any significant signs as to which mare it was.. I did tell her to check udders, to see if one of them had developed some udder, so maybe that will point us in the right direction.. Is it possible for them to have just a little udder development or would she develop a large udder as if she had actually foaled? I usually routinely check udders to make sure there is no abnormalities or lumps but hadn't checked them in a while prior to this so couldn't tell you if any had a change, none had any noticeable change to the eye..

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for the information and a shoulder to cry on.. It's been a learning experience that hopefully I won't have to experience again..

We had a mare abort late term this year, and she never had any hint of a bag, before or after. The foal looked normal, so we don't know why that happened.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back