Gypsys LONG story

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkermini

Reaction score
I dont post on here much, that pesky lack of time thing...But I just rescued a mare and was hoping maybe someone would recognize her. Heres the long story.....

I ran across an ad on Craigslist, actually these people had a few ads on there, with several minis listed in each ad. They gave a little info on each horse-gender, age, height, and some of them said broke to ride. Each had a, well, not so great photo. Out of all the minis they had, one stood out. This mare "Gypsy". Though her photo was taken at a bad angle, she looked cute, and had a friendly look to her. Gypsy's description read "dark brown/black and white mare. She is 7 years old. Stands about 33 inches. Very good mother. $350". I emailed to ask if any of the minis were registered. I had actually forgotten about the ads, because it took the seller a week to get back to me. (Not to mention I was in the hospital a couple days in the meantime
default_sad.png
).

When the seller finally got back to me, she said the only mini that was registered that was still for sale was Gypsy. I thought this must surely be a sign, the one I was really interested in is registered, and still available! I called the seller at that point, to find out more-the seller kept saying Gypsy was registered in the "AMA" but she never worried about papers and so on. She said she would need to look for the papers, so I told her I would call in a couple days to see if she found them, and arrange to look at Gypsy. (Bear in mind, the seller is about a four hour one way drive!)

I called a couple days later, and the seller could find the papers nowhere, plus she had never put Gypsy in her name, AND couldnt remember her registered name (only that it had "Gypsy" in it). I asked if she remembered who she bought her from (I was trying to figure out how I might track down her papers) and she couldnt remember. I said "thank you" and hung up.....But, the story doesnt end there! When I went to bed that night, I was brainstorming trying to figure out how to track down the identity of this mare. I figured if I looked through the AMHA studbook (which I assumed was the registry the seller meant when she said AMA) and find all the horses her color, age, and gender with "Gypsy" in the name, that maybe I could track down the last owner that had her in their name, and get a replacement set of papers. (Yes, obviously I have a screw or three loose!
default_new_shocked.gif
)

So anyway, the next day I call the seller back, and said I will come see this mare, and do some detective work to track down her papers. The day came to meet Gypsy. The weather called for storms off and on all day, and we drove through some rain off and on during the four hour trip. Well, as soon as we got to the sellers place and got out, the rain POURED. (Maybe God was telling me to get back in the truck and go home!
default_unsure.png
) But anyway, I saw Gypsy, and my first thought was "33 inches my foot!" Shes a large B size...But my second thought was, my gosh, this poor mare is like a 2 or 3 on the body condition scale! Bear in mind I was thinking all this while getting literally soaked! We went ahead and loaded her, I threw $300 at the man and we left. :DOH!

Sooo, basically I have a rescue mare that I paid way to much for, but couldnt leave her there because of my conscience....really the last thing I should have done, as I have alot of medical bills right now, and my husband was letting me get her because he feels sorry for me right now.
default_laugh.png
So Ive been going back and forth, calling myself a dummy for taking this on, but on the other hand, knowing what may have happened to her if wouldnt have gotten her. But she is a very sweet mare, she should make someone a nice pet once I get some groceries in her, get her wormed, feet trimmed, etc. Oh, and she was with the sellers stallion all last summer! So this poor mare may get to have a foal!
default_new_shocked.gif

But, my reason for posting all this is, Im wondering if anyone may recognize her? Maybe shes actually AMHR B size registered? The place I got her is Waynesville Ohio, and the seller said they bought her about 2 1/2 years ago from somewhere else in OH. If anyone has any info on her, please share! Sorry for the extremely long book. Im going to try to post pictures, shes actually thinner than these show. (taken right when we got home from getting her.)

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2304/1235...8/363150408.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2304/1235...8/363150391.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2304/1235...8/363150382.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very pretty markings on her! Kudos for stepping up and helping this poor girl out.
default_wub.png
I don't know her, but I hope someone can help you out. Good luck!
default_saludando.gif

OMG, is she THIN! Bless you and your hubbys hearts! What a lucky horse to get you for an owner. I hope somebody will reconize her! But more important, you saved this little girls life! I pray she's not in foal.

Thank you so much for having one less starving and neglected mini in the world.
default_no.gif

Joyce

Wow, I absolutely think you did the RIGHT thing! That poor little girl. Looking at these pics, unless it's a huge wormload, her belly is a lot bigger than either of the mares here that are 30-60 days from foaling. It's amazing a healthy foal can come out of these situations at all, but it could be her skinny body has done what it has to, to sustain a pregnancy this far.

Thank you for helping her! I am sure she will be fine with some good food. I know I would have done the same thing. They sure do pull at your heart don't they? Good Luck!!

Bless you and your husband for taking her. I would have done the same thing. I can't offer any information but I hope you find her story. Good luck.

Bless you for giving her a home, and I wish you good luck in tracking down her history! We can't wait to see her filled out. (And I'm hoping she's NOT in foal, so that all the food that goes into her mouth goes to HER.)

Thank you both for taking this poor mare in and giving her the love and attention she needs!!!! I pray she is NOT pregnant so that she can gain some weight more quickly. You will be amazed what she will look like in just a few weeks with good food and TLC!!!!! Update us soon please with new pics and I would get a vet out ASAP to find out if she is pregnant or not!!!

Oh that poor mare. She looks emaciated even with all that hair.

Bless you for taking her and giving her a good home.

She is actually cute in her markings. I am sure you will be able to find a good home for her once she has fattened up.

Thank you to both of you for taking this poor mare in, I too hope she isn't pregnant. She has really distinctive markings, maybe someone on the forum will know her.

Please keep us updated.

Yvonne

Thanks everyone! I will post updates on her. For as bad as she looks, she is energetic and seems happy, so I think her good attitude will help her improve all that much quicker.
default_yes.gif

Poor thing. You and your husband did a very good thing.

Here's an idea for you. Contact the local clubs in Ohio and any state around them and ask if you can put an add in their newsletter, maybe someone will know her.

Good Luck,

Robin

Good luck with your rescue mare...so glad you took her in, as she surely is in dire need of some TLC and food!

Back