Grrr!--Think There's A Meth lab In My Neighborhood

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Of all the places!
default_no.gif
. I live in the country--lot's of farms, quiet people,,etc. Hubby and I have been smelling odd things in the air outside around here since we moved in--from cat urine to bleach, propane type odor, plus a septic tank type odor--and some other chemical we can't quite figure out. I have been getting headaches alot lately--even indoors. I'm going to try and take a walk tommorow and maybe see if I can figure out where this odd smell is coming from. I thought my neighbor's down the street had too many cats in their house, but that may be where it's coming from.

Too scary!
default_no.gif
. Has anyone ever encountered a house that was a "lab"?--and if so what did it smell like from the outside. I have the most terrible migrane right now. I hate drugs with a purple passion, and it's hard to fathom someone cooking that junk up here on our mountain.

I walked Buddy past this house down the street last summer and it absolutely reeked of cat urine--but I did not see even one cat.
default_thumbdown.gif

The smells you are smelling COULD be a lab. I encounter them on a regular basis. They do have the "cat urine" smell and often have multiple propane tanks (usually the small gas grill tanks) outside. Often the houses are somewhat secluded or have people regularly travelling to and from them. It would be odd to smell the smell from a long distance as it usually dissipates.

I'm about half a block away from them, and they are down a hill by a creek, and the odor travels up here. It could be a closer house, but the rest of the houses look like they are pricier--not a junky looking house like the one I suspect---(but I guess that maybe doesn't mean much though).

I would watch for a lot of car/people traffic. Meth houses are BAD NEWS ! ! ! We had a meth house in our area (and we are also VERY rural) - it took practically an act of God to get them out of here.

Really, I would look into a neighborhood watch type of organization and ask everyone to keep a close eye out for unusual stuff happening. Start an e-mail newsletter and have everyone post anything weird going on - weird happenings, strange people, etc. In our area it started out kind of non-descript and then the "bad people" started comming, and comming and comming. Then there were thefts all over the neighborhood - we called the police so many times that they finally just set up camp at the entrance to our long community road and monitored all the people comming & going. There were several times that the police raided the place - power was shut off, and then they got it back on, it was a total nightmare for over 5 years --

BUT, BUT, BUT - now they are gone and things are loooking up again.

Not something to mess around with - of course you do have to be pretty sure that it truly is a METH house, but if you get the neighborhood watch thing up and running you will probably get some feedback very soon - just doing that might be enough to get these people to move on if they truly are running something illegal.

Good luck - I really feel for you.

Stacy

When I go outside--(and smell the odor), my nose and throat also burns. I thought someone had a pool or hot tub one day, but the rest of what i'm smelling isn't quite fitting into the regular farm smells around here.

Edited to add. I have a retired sheriff living almost at the bottom of my driveway. Him and I are going to have a chat and a walk tomorrow. I'll get to the bottom of this. I can smell vinegar now, and my headache is worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know through my work that surprisingly enough, there are actually lots of meth labs in rural areas. I'd advise a call to the RCMP advising of what you've seen/smelled, and I'm sure they will investigate thorougly. Meth labs, like all drug production operations, are taken pretty seriously. Good luck in getting it shut down!

Whether it's a meth lab or not, there is obviously something wrong in the neighborhood and I would report it. If nothing is done, call the environmental folks and report it.

You should NOT be smelling what ever it is on a daily basis and getting sick from it! Especially when you are not sure what kind of a health hazard it could be!!!

And dont think because you live in the country that there are no drugs there- I live in a rural area and was from an even smaller town before, and at any given time you could find any type of drugs you wanted. This is nothing new either.... they are everywhere!

Many folks that are into that think that if they move to a rural place or smaller town, nobody will know what they are up to and they can 'hide' there... :stupid

Last edited by a moderator:
For sure. I know it's not anything like natural gas, as we don't have any hooked up here--(too expensive), and we burn wood. I ruled out that there is nothing wrong with the woodstove that could be causing my headaches, and I know the smell of all types of wood being burnt in our neighborhood. These other smells have been here for a while----since summertime last year is when I first started to notice it.

Those darn houses aren't to be messed with--or the people in them. That I do know, and I will find out.

I don’t have a meth lab next door not that I know of anyway. What I do have is a “medical marijuana” green house next door and I hate that skunky smell coming into my bedroom at night! I hate drugs and all that goes with it. I hope you get this all figures out and if it is a lab I hope you help to get it shut down.

If it is a lab, that stuff is TOXIC and nobody should be breathing those fumes!!

If it is a lab, that stuff is TOXIC and nobody should be breathing those fumes!!

That is so why i'm going to get to the bottom of this. Meth has become somewhat popular around here the past few years, and I have witnessed people ruined because of it. It's lethal garbage, and it will not be tolerated in my neighborhood.

Back