I think somebody dumped two dogs on our farm yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YAY!!! WTG
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Great job Adair! Send me pix if you want and I can post for you.
default_aktion033.gif

Angie
Thanks Angie, I sent you two photos. We are keeping the other boy for now. Gotta get him healed up and neutered and vet checked. Take care.

Adair

Here's Adair's good deeds
default_rolleyes.gif

Removed Fred at Adairs request
default_wink.png

398199148.jpg

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if his owners don't show up, Fred is staying. The whole family is in love. Considering the neglect and poor condition of his feet I do believe he was dropped and not a runaway. He is a happy boy here with us. Now I am hoping he is a true rescue dog because my husband has bonded to him and asked if he could stay. First dog he has thought anything about in 7 years since his german shepherd died. Go figure, this silly hound melted my husbands heart
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
I never had a basset before. Never had a hound before. I said to somebody two weeks ago, I would never own a hound. LOL, some angel with a sense of humor must have heard me and gifted me with a dog. I always heard you should take a careful look at gift critters that show up under mysterious circumstances. The german shepherd my husband loved with all his heart showed up on this farm here out of the blue one day, that was 17 years ago. He was the dog of dogs and I will miss him forever.

Our new basset boy must be an earthquake hound. My daughter said he started baying like crazy about a minute or two before the earthquake hit us yesterday. She said she heard him baying like crazy and then she felt the ground start shaking. Low to the ground, he probably felt it before it really got going.

default_new_shocked.gif
I was at work when the quake hit. No fun. I thought I was having a heart attack, couldn't figure out why my legs were shaking like that. didn't occur to me the building was shaking. How do people on the west coast stand it.
default_wacko.png

Both are cute but as soon as I read that one was a Basset I thought lucky you. I love Basset Hounds, had one in the past, and would like one again one day. I live in Florida and my dogs have always known in advance when a hurricane was coming so I'm sure your dog knew. Animals always sense these things before we do.

Update... The choc lab is getting training and medical care and is settled in his foster home. I will post when he finds a new home, for now they are not looking yet until he is well and ready to go.

Fred the basset has a new home. Me
default_wub.png
My whole family is in love and this boy needs a break. His feet are finally healed, his infected eyes and ears are treated, he has been neutered, microchipped, had his teeth cleaned his nails trimmed, and he is recovering nicely. He is a playful boy and loves my children and my dogs all think he is great. It is like he has always been here.

thanks for all the well wishes everybody and encouragement and support , I love this forum
default_yes.gif

Fred the basset has come home and he isn't going anywhere else. He needed to land softly and we love him so much.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred the basset has come home and he isn't going anywhere else. He needed to land softly and we love him so much.
default_wub.png
First off... I just want to say that I've not really had any time to be on the computer much in the last three weeks, but I DID read all about Fred and Barney even if I hadn't responded before this.

I finally read the "end" of your story and was so happy that Fred has become a part of your family!

I am a person who feels that we have TOO MANY LAWS, rules and regulations, but there is ONE law I've always said I would pass in a heartbeat if I had the power. That law would require anyone who owned an animal to have it registered (for free... no fees). If law enforcement found out you had a dog or cat that was NOT registered, then they could take you to court and give you a hefty fine. I feel a law like this with some teeth in it might be the only way to stop these heartless people from abandoning their pets, because if the animal were registered and abandoned it could be tracked the the owner heavily fined. And the only thing worse than abandoning a dog or cat is abandoning an intact dog or cat. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

We've never had abandoned dogs show up here. Several cats, though. However, I have a friend who lives in very southern Colorado, way out in the boonies, and in three years five dogs made their way to her farm. She took them all in. She currently has 8 dogs but she and her husband care for all of them. This friend of mine started doing volunteer work for the local animal shelter and holding "pet adoption" fairs, and was just named to their board of directors. Like you, she has a heart of gold and simply cannot turn an abandoned animal away.

I agree with you weebiscuit.. If we could only microchip and track them all. sigh. I wish I could set up cameras... sigh.. Takes a heartless person to just turn a trusting lovely animal loose like it was nothing.

I spotted a new cat last night. Does not match our color scheme here, that makes 6 cats dropped off this summer. I have to start trapping and neutering again.. It takes so much time and money. People should see the results of their careless attitude of dropping animals. How they break the trust and the hearts of the animals, it just tears me up. Of all the years I have been here, there has only been one cat that was dropped off that was already neutered. That gorgeous cat is now living at my mother in laws house. So obviously a cat that had never been outdoors before, she walked all over just crying and crying, it took us a couple of weeks to catch her, now she is pampered and loving indoor life again..

It has been a lot of years since we had a dog dumped here that we could catch. Sometimes they just keep running, sometimes they get hit by cars before they can be caught. . . The last one was my dog Jet, a solid black german shepherd dog that we found laying between two round bales like they were a dog house. Dog of my dreams, he was with us 9 lovely years, best obedience dog I ever had. I will miss him forever.

Thanks for posting. Shelters and foster homes were all full when I called around, I could only get one emergency foster for the lab. Now I am so glad it worked out that way.
default_wub.png
Welcome Fred, we are so glad you came.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back