Growing LONG tails...Biotin suppliment suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I currently have all of my show horses tails up, I have been using MTG since late in the summer and a leave in conditioner (I use "pink" brand from walmart, its a human leave in conditioner) and braid the tail and vet wrap it up or in a tailback/sock. I would like to have the tails long....So far I am not seeing any real results.

A friend told me that rubbing bacon grease into the tail will help? Has anyone heard this? Kind of "out there" it seems.. ?

Also I think a good biotin suppliment would help, suggestions?

Any other tips would be wonderful.

Thank you !

Leeana -- What I've seen work really well is to take a cotton sheet or fabric and cut 3 LONG strips. Wash the tail and put leave in conditioner all through it. Separate the tail into three strands and wrap each (non-braided) strand like a mummy around and around with a strip of fabric. Once each of the three strips is wrapped, then braid those like you would normally braid a tail. The tails grow SO long that way because the conditioner and wrapping eliminates the natural breakage, etc. Should come down once a month and repeat, I think. Be very careful not to tie anything on or too close to the tail bone as that can make the tail die (I mean the body part -- you probably know this precaution but for others reading for advice!). Good luck!

default_saludando.gif
great advice on the tail ,, but what about the mane my stallion has the worst mane never grows

and looks horrible...............??????????????

Having long hair myself (always about to my butt) I'd say 99% of having long hair is protection and genetics. I obviously don't put a ton of crap on my scalp... Ewwww. I wash my own hair every few days and for the most part, it's braided up (to keep it out of the way) but braiding does protect from breakage.

Ive seen just about everything done and tried here by the friesian and Andalusian people, but in the end, simply braiding and good genetics is what really makes the difference.

Everything else is just a placebo.

Same with supplements... A basic, good balanced feed program is all that matters.

You can braid manes and help length, but some horses just don't have much, especially those with appy genetics.

I don't think putting bacon grease would help, but it sure would get gross quickly
default_unsure.png

What i do because i used MTG on my gelding and his mane fell out is id wash him with Mane n tail shampoo rub in some conditioner rinse it out then add a lil conditioner back in to the hair making sure to not get any on the scalp... Then i braid what little hair there is left....

You can use mane bags they help keep the hair protected also... they look and work just like a tail bag only smaller

And for tails i keep mine up year round... I do the same as far as washing for the mane... then i brush thru the tail adding conditioner as i go... braid and bag it..... Ive gootn 6 inches on my foals tail since ive owned him so since august...

I have used MTG in the past and haven't seen a difference. It also leaves behind little dandruff pieces that are hard to get out, and the horses smell like bacon. I wash with mane n tail shampoo and conditioner. Braid the tail and wrap the top with vet wrap. I take it out once a week and brush the tail, re-braid and wrap. But I only do this in the fall/spring. In the winter and summer I just let there tails be besides spraying on Miracle Groom and brushing them out every other day. Both horses are on Omega HorseShine and I have seen a difference in their coat, mane and tails.

Things that are hard on manes and tails are dirt, worms, shedding, rail fence, coloring, and too much brushing. lots of other things too.

Washing with mild shampoo, condition and then add lots of cowboy magic. I love Cowboy Magic! Tangles just practicly fall out! You can even use it on a dirty mane and tail if you want to get tangles out. that way you don't pull and damage the hair.

If you dye the mane and tail, remember that most hair colors are very had on the hair. The 10 minute ones are very bad. Styling gel and muose (mouse?) are very hard on the hair too. Sun and wind is hard too. Sunscreen helps.

Brush or comb gently and not often.

I have always used equal parts of scope and babyoil on my manes and tails and get good growth over the winter months. Keeps horses from rubbing the dock of the tail. Scope is the aneseptic and baby oil the conditioner.

Arlene

I have big dogs. If I used bacon grease, my horses wouldn't have any tails left LOL.

Jan

I always keep my boys mane and tail in plaits. I have a tail bag but everytime I bag it it ends up wet?? I plait his tail fold it in half then half again and put electrical tape round it to keep it up. I undo the plaits about once a week and then redo.

I learned recently to get those long manes and tails is to not brush it. It does more damage and pulls out the hair. Work it with your hand. Also use Cowboy Magic as a leave in conditioner.

I go through a lot of Cowboy Magic here, it makes a fantastic leave in conditioner! I used to keep the show horses tails braided but it didn't make enough of a difference for me to continue. I just detangle knots with my hands when I find them and only do a big wash before a show.

I think you'll always be limited by genetics, some of my paddock condition horses have manes and tails to die for and that is with no work, others will always be short and thin. Mostly the appies!

Hi Leeana,

I use Healthy Haircare leave in conditioner. If you mix it yourself, be careful to get the amounts right or it makes the hair sticky. I am also a firm believer in Cowboy Magic. I don't braid tails or manes (unless I need one to lay a certain way) as I find this irritates the horse and they rub.

I get compliments on my horse's manes and tails from everyone that comes to visit, especially regarding my appaloosas. I always have to cut tails so they don't drag on the ground. I think it's funny considering how many many times a year they get into burrs.

The secret? I never use a brush. I use my fingers to comb through when they're getting too tangled, but I mostly leave them be. I don't pull or break the hair and voila-long and thick manes and tails. The better for getting into burrs with lol.

Here is my few spot appy taken today-all dirty and in need of some detangling, but his mane and tail are beautiful. When I bought him he had very little to work with.

2011-12-21_11-18-05_937.jpg

On the biggies, I use MTG, leave in for 24 hrs, wash out with a hydrating shampoo. Condition with Organic root stimulator,its an olive oil replenishing pack. I get it at walmart its made for African American hair thats been straightened. Its wonderful on Horse hair!

I brush the manes and tails weekly using a wide toothed brush working from ends to roots. If done properly, you wont cause breakage.

If you need to color use a temporary color from your local beauty supply. You can also use distilled water to cut the peroxide volume in 1/2 when using a over the counter color.

Most over the counter colors come with a 20 vol peroxide ( the white stuff) so if you pour 1/2 out and replace with the distilled water you make a 10 vol peroxide which will help the hair open less, causing the cuticle to stay flat, healthier and shiny.

I still prefer the temporary color though...

Genetics is a lot of it.

But having gallons of Cowboy Magic sure doesn't hurt.

My Arab Pinto when we showed him had a 10 foot tail from

the top of the croup to the ground. His mane was way past

his shoulder.

I washed it often, used LOTS of Cowboy Magic and kept them braided.

It does need to be kept clean so the dirt does not abrade the hair

and break it off.

I'd do, like Jill commented, wrap/mumyify each section of the braid

with soft sheeting and then braid, wrap gently again with sheeting.

Then wrap with self sticking vet wrap and put it in a soft

sock with untwisted bailing twine as a tail swish.

His tail and mane was so much work but when his hair was down he

was like a horse from a fairy tale.

A big girl's My Little Pony come to life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of this is exactly what I do now, I know the genetic aspect has a lot to do with it, and I actually have that working agianst me on most of my horses but am hoping to overcome that
default_smile.png

I think keeping the roots of the hair moist is the trick - Kind of like how your mouth is the fastest healing part of your body, as it is moist, I think that is the trick to growing these tails. I have found what works best with the MTG to get it worked into the roots of the hair is to put the MTG in a spray bottle and put it on stream and spray it directly into the tail and then work it into the skin/roots good. I found a bottle made for spritzing oil that works well with the MTG texture. I am going to try to do this once a day, or maybe bi daily. That way you really don't need to keep taking the tail down and putting it back up, more than usual anyway.

Thanks for all the neat information, some new things to perhaps try.

Janice, thank you for the link!!!! Yes I did enjoy that! That was great
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I brush my long hair and my horse's all the time. Makes no difference how thick or long their manes and tails are, as least with my horses. Genetics is the key.

Do use Cowboy Magic on my horses... and myself. Stuff is wonderful. LOL

Latest posts

Back