Growing LONG tails...Biotin suppliment suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leanna -

I think I know the "Pink" you are referring to - we use it as a final show sheen on our show horses. Although it is a conditioner, it has been my experience that it is REALLY greasy the longer it sits. Also, when we use it on our show kids, we wash it out right away after (a secret I learned from a VERY good groom) as it can actually suck the nutrients out of the hair and cause breakage in horses. You may want to stick to other hair treatments for trying to grow it out.

I'm with about everyone else here. Genetics. Genetics. Genetics.

Skipper I have to cut 6-8" or so off his tail every few months. Never seen anything like it. And I need to get the scissors out there right now. Then Dinah who will be 21 this year ...her tail has never been longer than fetlock length. Even in her show time it just didn't grow, but at least was the ideal show length.

I don't like to braid tails as I've had a couple of bad oopsies in past years. The horse rubbing or tail switching....braid gets hung on something (even when wrapped) and horse tears out half their tail. Not good.
default_sad.png

I couldn't figure out why my horses tail was always so short.... then I saw my australian shepard run and pull on her tail! she's pulling her tail out hair by hair!.... is there anything I can put in her tail to discourage my dogs behavior yet promote tail growth?...

I couldn't figure out why my horses tail was always so short.... then I saw my australian shepard run and pull on her tail! she's pulling her tail out hair by hair!.... is there anything I can put in her tail to discourage my dogs behavior yet promote tail growth?...
Sounds like you need to address the "losing tail" issue before you can promote growth. I know that there are several chew-stop sprays out there for furniture, etc... not sure if they would work (or be safe to use) on tails.

Two words... Cowboy Majic. Love this stuff!! Keeping the tail clean I put in loose braids without getting too close to the dock of the tail and finger brush. I haven't had any luck with MTG, found that it actually burns their skin. My MFT mare had a huge problem with it. Rubbed her dock raw because of it. It has sulpher in it, hence the bacon smell. Bacon grease, no way. All that will do is clog poors and make the hair fall out. You should see Taker's tail!
default_new_shocked.gif
I cut 3 inches off of his tail at the beginning of November. It's already dragging again. He steps on it. Again... Love him
default_wub.png

Sandy! HI....I didn't know you were a member here! I showed three of Taker's sire's paternal siblings and they all had the fullest tails you could imagine, and Taker's tail was always super long.

I have some cowboy magic detangler in the house that I use on my own hair, will stop and buy some tomorrow and take down to the barn. Normally after show season I bring it in from the barn to use on my own hair LOL.

Thanks Sandy
default_wub.png

I just want to add a couple of things. When you wash the tail and or mane make sure you have all of the soap rinsed out all the way down to the skin.

When you have a white mane and tail be carefull what you put on it to whiten it. Most whiteners are hard on the hair. Scrubbing on it is also hard on it.

Latest posts

Back