Ground poles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New mini

Reaction score
I am trying to think of new things to do with my driving mini, Lance. I thought I would try him over ground poles for something different to do. My question is how far apart do the poles need to be?

Please move this for me. I di not realize that I was in the photo section Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure about driving over ground poles or are you talking about not being hooked to the cart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Best way I have found to know, is to get my horse moving along at a good lengthened trot, and measure sure distance. I set my poles from there, and will put them around my ring at differing distances so I can ask for different trots.

Thanks. I was not referring to driving over ground poles. I just want to do different things with Lance and hope to do obsticles(sp braindead this morning)
default_thud.gif
:thud: with him at some point. He is 8 years old and has been driving for awhile. I just love to get his mind going on different things. We are teaching himhalf passes now and he is doing well at that. OOPs having trouble with smillies

Set your ground poles up in a fan arrangement. I use 8 ft poles and have the ends of the poles touching at one end and spaced out at the other end (like you would fan cards to see them in your hand). Then, as you ground drive them or long line them you can vary their stride depending on where on the circle they are...smaller circle, small stride...large circle, lengthened stride. Just remember to give them time to learn what ground poles are and how to use them. I try to start them out where they naturally stride (which will depend on each individual horse, tall, short, long bodied, short bodied will all affect their strides) then once they get the hang of it I open the circle up and make them lengthen some, just remember they have to build muscle to lengthen properly so a few circles lengthened at a time to start. Then smaller circles require collection and is even harder for them without the proper muscling.

I hope this makes sense, seems harder to explain than I thought it would.

Donna

Thanks I never thought of doing the poles this way. Will try this with Lance soon

Latest posts

Back