Grooming Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Hunt

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas about giving Misty a bit of a make over. I know basic horse grooming, curry comb, stiff brush, soft brush. I know about cleaning hooves and combing manes gently from the bottom up. What I am hoping to learn is the more showy type of grooming. I'm not interested in actually showing mini horses since I'm so involved in the goat showing, but I still want to treat my pet quality horse like a show animal. I'm not sure if that sounds crazy or not! Hopefully not!

I've attached a few photos. I'm not going to body clip her until it warms up a bit more. Anything I can do before then?

btw... you might notice Misty has a very damaged eye. This happened when she was kicked at a previous home. Poor girl.

misty1.jpg

misty2.jpg

You don't sound silly to me. You sound like my kind of horse person. I thrive on the condition I keep my horses in wether they are being shown or not. You are pretty much going to have to keep on brushing until it gets warm enough for clipping. But you can give a good length of bridle path in the meantime and I always keep the dead ends trimmed at the bottom of the mane so its not scraggly looking. Your halter looks new but I would bring it up higher on her face. I'll be happy to help you this summer with lots of ideas though..

What's the diagnosis with the eye?

How long do people make the bridle paths? I've been wanting to trim that mane! I've always been told never cut a horse's mane. The sky won't fall right? haha

Edit: I forgot to mention. The eye was treated by a vet when it happened. It is small, but still there, she can't see out of it, but it doesn't seem to bother her. I check it twice daily for changes. So far, so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
For showing bridle paths are often quite long, but to just clean her up, the length of the ear is a good place to start (just lay the ear back to see how far to go). You can always trim more later, but its hard to put it back on once its cut. Many minis have such thick manes, that some thin them, some undercut them (remove bulk from the underside) and others do a bit of both. I don't show, so I just go with the big no-no of brushing them and that usually removes a decent amount of bulk; mine with thinner manes, I'm more careful when I comb them out and take the time to remove tangles first.

It begins from the inside out. Be sure her nutrition is appropriate for her age. I like to have teeth checked by a good vet or equine dentist. That can really make a difference in their whole body health.

Mine look like filthy yaks right now with our recent snow. I'm like you, I can hardly wait to do some clipping and tidying! I want to know what's under all that hair. I'm adding a little mositurizing cream to the tail head and combing it down. Also to the mane and forelock. There doesn't seem to be much else one can do right now.

I'll bet your pretty girl really enjoys the little goats and chickens.

I add a little boss to my horses feed (not much because it is fattening!) and it gives them a nice shine. I also am a fanatic about horses with dark manes and tails....they cannot be sunbleached! Even if they are just going to be standing in the pasture I still dye them. This is my boy Ferrari...the first pic is last spring when I was hugely pregnant and on bed rest. (not a great pic, but just to show the difference!) and the next pic is later in the summer after my son was born. It is amazing to me the difference a little color makes!

559322_418915561477286_1379988277_n.jpg

376938_425794504122725_113680315_n.jpg

I hate the red sunburn, especially the forlock! What is it you use for dying the color? Here I use Omega Horseshine, it lasts a long time for the minis. They get all their Omega 3's and they shine like crazy even though they are filthy with clay mud and dust. They shed out easier too and in summer I add paprika, nutmeg, and cinnamon for color help and sugar metabolism. Spicy kids! When the weather allows I too rub in some Cowboy Magic into tail heads, manes and forlocks. I have a huge pea gravel area that I mostly turn them out in when its really muddy out and their hooves get a chance to dry. They love rolling and scratching in the gravel.

I just use regular hair dye. If they are still in winter coat I use the super cheap kind because I am going to clip anyway. If it is summer I like the foam kind and I put vaseline on their neck so that I dont accidentally dye areas that dont need it!

After a good brushing, combing, I'd clip her bridle path..... Measure the length of her ear to estimate how long a bridle path to make. I'd also trim her "beard" under her jaw line and any feathering above her hooves. Anything beyond that, you start getting into show clipping.

Once it warms up above the 30's at night, we will clip their head and necks with either an 8 or 10 blade.

I clipped some of her face and it was a different color underneath so I stopped. I think I'm just going to do her head for now and let her be a 2 tone.

I never think outside the box when it comes to good ideas about the mess of dying their hair lol. Vaseline, great idea, thanks!

Back