Show grooming question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Watching the World show, I noticed many horse had their tails groomed: Thin at the body, then flaring out the length. What sort of grooming would give that look? DippityDo? Clipping?
I'd like to try that with Dapper Dan's very full tail.

I wasn’t able to watch any of the showing but could the tails have had tight braids at at the top?

Always fun to admire the gorgeous grooming at shows!

I noticed that too, Marsha. I wonder if it's a combo of razoring, or maybe pulling the top and then wrapping tightly to flatten before a class. I've often wanted to try and do something like this to the top of my welsh pony's tail, he has 8 inch chunks that stick out at the top and his tail looks like a propeller. I think dressage horses have their tails pulled to get the look, but it's not something I'm brave enough to do.

I noticed that too, Marsha. I wonder if it's a combo of razoring, or maybe pulling the top and then wrapping tightly to flatten before a class. I've often wanted to try and do something like this to the top of my welsh pony's tail, he has 8 inch chunks that stick out at the top and his tail looks like a propeller. I think dressage horses have their tails pulled to get the look, but it's not something I'm brave enough to do.
Eeek. Pulling is an unknown area for me. And I'd be scared to razor. Guess I need that professional Clipper Girl video; maybe there are some tips there.

On the topic of tail grooming, our miniature owner friend has an issue with Munchkin. He sucks his tail into the anus; she has to pull the hair out all the time and, of course, it is messy. I suggested that she wrap his tail; I am thinking he developed it as a nervous habit. He wasn't handled much before she got him and he was low in the herd .
It's pretty odd. She tried clipping the tail hair in the area, but that doesn't seem to help.

Just an idea, I don't know if it's what you're talking about. Dressage horses have the sides at the top of their docks clipped. (Pulling is just as painful for them as having your hair pulled) It's really easy to do once you get the hang of it, maybe there's a youtube video? I can try to tell you how if you want?

Part of it is they use sleazies a lot. Helps keep hair in place. Many people also use too tail bags that keep their tails smooth and even. I have not seen any clip their tails.

Please do not wrap your horse's tail--and certainly do not wrap it tightly--not on the bone. It is far too easy to wrap too tight, and it doesn't take long to do horrific damage to the tail. Wrapping tails results in amputation of the tail for some horses.

I'd like to know how it's done :)!
Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense 😊
Use a sharp pair of scissors. Start by cutting a small amount, you can and will adjust it as you go, if you take too much or don't like the way it looks it will grow back pretty fast. I normally let mine grow in the fall and trim them again in the spring, it's not somewhere I'd like a cold draft in the winter;).
Brush the top of the tail. Start on whichever side is easiest for you. You're going to cut up from the inside(where there's no hair) in a half v towards the top. Start by cutting up a little bellow the top of the tail and slowly work your way down, it looks better longer on some horses than others so go a bit at a time until you like it. Make sure where you cut doesn't go past the side of the tail. When you have it as long as you like there will still be some hair looking poofy over the side. Flatten that with your hand and cut what sticks over the side. If you don't have the bottom where you cut tapered to a half v it may, depending on the tail, look narrow then explode out, it you like that look go for it, if not make sure you have it tapered. If you didn't get it tapered just cut a little bit more at the bottom to get a smooth transition. Go to the other side and make it match. If you like it and want to keep it you can use clippers to keep it tidy and for a closer shave after you have used the scissors to make the blueprint.

This might help your friends tail, I've never seen that happen when they had a dressage tail but no guarantees.

Let me know if you give it a try😀

Please do not wrap your horse's tail--and certainly do not wrap it tightly--not on the bone. It is far too easy to wrap too tight, and it doesn't take long to do horrific damage to the tail. Wrapping tails results in amputation of the tail for some horses.
If the wrapping is removed every day and the tail massaged, wouldn't that be safe?

Wrapping sparingly is okay….sometime. I’ve seen people who have wrapped tails all their life and wrap it just a bit too tight or too long and come out to an amputated tail.

When I mentioned wrapping, I did say tight but didn't mean so tightly as to cut off circulation. Sorry if I led anyone to believe I was muscling the wrap into place. I've wrapped hunter tails before classes to keep them neat and never had a problem.
Thanks for the tip in grooming tails Taz, I might try it out.

Last edited:
No, changing the wrap daily does not make it safe. If someone wraps a tail too tight, that horse is in trouble long before 24 hours is gone. I wouldn't even risk 12 hours.

It is very true that there are cases where someone "always" wraps tails and then one day they do it wrong and end up with a horse that needs its tail amputated.

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back