Grass Hay or Alfalfa/Grass Mix??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iabecca

Reaction score
I'm getting my first Minis in a week and the current owner said she feeds them alfalfa/grass mix hay. I have a barn full of grass hay so should I just feed them my hay or find the alfalfa /grass mix hay?

Thanks for any suggestions!

If it is good quality grass hay you should be good to go with that. They've been eating hay that is partly grass so it won't be a huge change for them. They may look through it, wondering where the alfalfa is hiding but as long as it is a grass that they like they should eat it fine. If they were pregnant/nursing mares or youngsters (weanlings especially) I would suggest getting them some alfalfa to go with it, just because I like my babies and broodmares to have some alfalfa.

While good grass hay should be fine for your minis, you may need to subsidize their change in diet with more hay or grain to maintain their current condition.

I've fed mine both straight orchard grass and a mix over the years. They've done well on both. I did have hay that was about 75% alfalfa and I fed them way less of it and switched their "grain"/ration balancer to a lower protein.

Our favorite hay is a mix grass / alfalfa, especially as Minimor mentioned for pregnant mares and foals.

But a high quality grass hay (one that is green, smells good, and is fine stemmed) is great too.

We are using the Purina Miniature Horse and Pony diet as a supplement daily and it is doing great here. But the previous owner may have something else they are feeding.

If its good clean grass hay that you already have, I'd just go with that, as someone said you may need to supplement a little grain or may alfalfa pellets to keep them in their current condition. You already have the hay, and if you have plenty so you don't have to go buy more hay, I say go with what you have. Perhaps the current owner would be willing to send some of their current hay home with them so you can gradually switch them over to ease the transition to straight grass.

I would use the hay you have and see how it goes. Once that supply is exhausted, you can then decide whether to continue with that hay or look for a mix instead.

When I first got my minis in 2009, I followed the advice to go with straight grass hay. Our first year, we bought from a family friend who had mostly timothy/orchard grass hay. I know now that it was very course and my horses wasted 1/2 of it, literally. After more research, I knew I needed to find a softer hay source. I did find a hay grower who had the softest grass/alfalfa mix hay I've ever seen. I'm not sure what the grass was, but it was the greenest and softest grass...my girls LOVED it. Then he stopped returning my calls. I ended up going to another grower of grass/alfalfa mix hay. His hay isn't as soft, but softer than what I was originally getting. My girls love it and have done VERY well on it. I'm a firm believer in using this kind of hay for my girls.

That said, my supplier is running low on this mix. We had to take more grass than alfalfa bales this past weekend. My girls initially held a hay strike Saturday-into-Sunday. I just put it out and left them to come to the natural conclusion that the hay in front of them was they hay they were getting, like it or not.
default_laugh.png

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge about hay....I have much to learn and am thankful for this site and for everyone that takes their time to share and help!!!!
default_worshippy.gif
You guys are great!!! I've decided to get some alfalfa and mix it with the hay I already have plus they will get feed mixed with some cracked corn.

Thank you......Becky

Another idea - and what we do - is feed grass hay and then feed soaked alfalfa CUBES to the ones that need extra protein or weight. The cubes store easily (in plastic garbage can), are easy to find, the quality is pretty consistent and everyone loves them! They don't need to soak very long at all - just add some water and mix them up a bit until they are soft. Extra water is always good to get into them too.

That's a great idea about the alfalfa cubes...I think I will give that a try!!

Thanks Targetsmom!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Alfalfa is higher in protein and calories than grasses are, so you feed less of it.

You mentioned feeding corn, which I would advise against. Corn isn't the best grain choice for horses, too high in starch and sugar.

I'd recommend straight oats if you feel you want to feed some sort of grain... Less chance of founder or hyper ponies .

Enjoy your little guys!!!

Andrea

I believe in as few changes at one time as possible. Moving to a new home is a huge change, so I would start out with the same mix of hay/alfalfa and slowly reduce the amount of alfalfa. Perhaps the seller would let you buy a bale of what they've been feeding so that you can gradually transition them over to your grass hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to everyone for all the expert advice! I got some alfalfa cubes and will soak them and feed along with some grass hay. The owner/breeder that i'm getting my girls from feeds them a mixture of horse feed and corn. I will continue that for now and eventually just feed them a good horse feed with no extra corn. I feel good about this decision thanks to all of you!!! I'm so excited!!

Becky
default_new_multi.gif

Latest posts

Back