Grammar Pet Peeve

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps no one else encounters this, but it drives me nuts... My MIL says "Growed"; I about come unglued when she does. And, since she raised him, my husband uses it sometimes too. She runs a greenhouse, so her plants growed well this summer. Our family raises cattle, so the calves growed well, too.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_doh.gif

I think many already talked about my biggest pet peeves. Using 'good' instead of 'well' is one that makes me cringe because my mother used to correct me so much when I was little. Another is when people use 'of' instead of 'have'. For example, "I should of gone to the grocery store yesterday". Ugh!

My 5th grade teacher had horrible grammar and dictation skills. She would send home weekly progress reports for every child and one week my mother corrected all of the mistakes and had me give it back to her. Luckily she didn't get upset over it and was much more careful about checking for mistakes. I don't think I would ever do that, but grammar is something my mother is a bit ocd with.

I think many already talked about my biggest pet peeves. Using 'good' instead of 'well' is one that makes me cringe because my mother used to correct me so much when I was little. Another is when people use 'of' instead of 'have'. For example, "I should of gone to the grocery store yesterday". Ugh!

My 5th grade teacher had horrible grammar and dictation skills. She would send home weekly progress reports for every child and one week my mother corrected all of the mistakes and had me give it back to her. Luckily she didn't get upset over it and was much more careful about checking for mistakes. I don't think I would ever do that, but grammar is something my mother is a bit ocd with.
I know what you mean. My mom was a 5/6th grade teacher before she married my dad, English is her thing (just don't ask her about math beyond the basics), so grammar and spelling had better be correct. Although, after getting out of school, I've let those skills slide, especially on the computer.

I did that to my son's English teacher in Junior High, I know I shouldn't have, but honestly, I'd been putting up with her sending notes and assignments home with HORRIBLE grammar and spelling, and she was an ENGLISH teacher! So, she sent home a sheet with the information for a field trip to see a play, along with the permission slip. I corrected the grammar and spelling in the whole thing, and then sent it back (with the permission slip signed). She wasn't happy to see me at conferences
default_unsure.png

I manage documentation for my job, and I'm EXTREMELY aware of words, meanings, language, and grammar. I also deal with global sites, so I am aware of differences in interpretation by non-native speakers, so I sometimes get TOO picky about word meanings. My pet peeve though is use of the word "borrow" instead of "lend". It drives me insane when someone says "I borrowed him ten bucks". !!!!! No, YOU loaned, HE borrowed!

BUT at the end of a sentence. ....only goats BUT(T) as my mum would say.

GOT..... ..a word that really should be buried in the backyard and left there to rot.

LMAO!!! I had to read this thread out loud to my sister (she is also an English teacher) and we were really laughing but the comment about the 'feely' and the harassment sent me into tears.... too funny you guys!!

"I should of gone to the grocery store yesterday".
Actually I don't think they are saying "should of" they are saying "should've"...simply an abbreviation of "should have". After all, they say, if it's okay to say "I've been to the store" then it must be okay to say "I should've gone to the gas station too" . I've seen this wording used in letters and people who say it this way never write "of" they write (and say) 've.
default_laugh.png

Actually I don't think they are saying "should of" they are saying "should've"...simply an abbreviation of "should have". After all, they say, if it's okay to say "I've been to the store" then it must be okay to say "I should've gone to the gas station too" . I've seen this wording used in letters and people who say it this way never write "of" they write (and say) 've.
default_laugh.png

Actually, I see TONS of people write "should of" instead of "have" on FB and e-mails. One of my best friends is the worst offender and it grates on my nerves every time!! Another regional thing - when my husband and I first met, he used to say "ideal" for "idea" - he knew how to spell it, but when he said it, the "l" was always there. "I have an ideal." I would say, "No - you have an IDEA." I finally broke him of that, mostly because he was going on job interviews and I didn't want the principals to think he did have poor grammar. When we went to visit his family back home, I realized that it had to be a regional dialect thing because a lot of people did it. Still drove me nuts!

Barbara

I don't mind should've, it's the writing and typing of 'should of' instead of 'should have'. I see it on facebook and on here every day-the younger generations are the main culprits. Actually, they seem to be the main culprits for most grammatical errors that I see on facebook (like using 'prolly'!).

Back