Grammar Pet Peeve

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Hooves

Reaction score
Alright, I just had to say something today because I have seen this done for YEARS from reading horse sale ads.

It really bugs me when I read: granddaughter/son of the "infamous" [insert big brand-name stallion here]...

Had any of these people watched the movie ¡Three Amigos!, they might have understood by watching that the word "infamous" does not mean "more than famous" like the characters guess early in the movie. Rather, it is something worse than famous, like the characters later discover when they are dealing with a classic villain.

Infamous means, more or less, famous because of a bad reputation. The correct usage would be: the infamous O.J. Simpson; or, infamous dwarf genes that plague miniature horses.

I just think if people took the care and time to pass their ads through a grammar check, they might get a better response... or at least give prospective buyers a sense that they know what they're talking about.
default_smile.png

I think "infamous" is an especially irksome error because people tend to use it in reference to big name stallions that they don't actually own; a beginner could really get the wrong impression about that stallion/bloodline from reading those ads! The hubby and I were joking earlier this year that we should name our next really good colt Infamous.

Girls kinda like bad boys! I caught Pooka talking to a filly saying how he knocked over gas stations and feed stores, trying to impress her with his street rep, but she wasn't buying it!

He wants a sleeveless T-shirt that says "Infamous" on it but I don't think so!
default_rolleyes.gif

Robin, you crack me up! And I'm with Jill...I have no need for any infamous horses here.

Girls kinda like bad boys! I caught Pooka talking to a filly saying how he knocked over gas stations and feed stores, trying to impress her with his street rep, but she wasn't buying it!

He wants a sleeveless T-shirt that says "Infamous" on it but I don't think so!
default_rolleyes.gif

I herd that breaded phillies between yor teeth n gums is mighty relaxin!

confirmation aka conformation

except,accept,

affect, effect

then, than

loose....lose One doesn't loose a foal (though you may turn it loose in the field) but it is truly sad if you lose a foal

applossa, appalossa...there are a number of misspellings of that one. I figure that if you're going to raise appaloosa horses you should know how to spell appaloosa...unless of course they are pure breads. Perhaps when it comes to bread things are different?

how about a horse "pin" rather than a horse "pen"

and there is always the occassional "gilding" (gold plated neutered horse???)

LOL!! My favourite annoyance is when someone says 'these ones' or 'those ones' - why use the double wotsit (sorry cant think of the word I want!) when 'these' or 'those' is all that is needed?

Then there are the usual........ whose, who's; too, to; its, it's; etc etc.

Of course we must allow for folk who have trouble with spelling or make typing errors (I plead guilty!), but bad grammer does grate(great!) on the nerves at times.
default_yes.gif

Oh, and don't forget those real versatile stallions who have foals out of them.Maybe someone will have that happen tomarrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did
default_smile.png
(hoping you didn't think my deliberate misuse and misspelling of words on this thread was because I don't no better!)
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE this thread.I Like(or dislike) so many of the ones already mentioned.There are some verbal things that are very annoying to me also.Mayan(a group of natives in Mexico)versus mine. "Ya know or You know" everytime there is a pause in a story or where there would be a comma.If I knew what you were talking about I wouldn't ask you or you wouldn't be telling me the story.

Brenda,

That one has always bothered me also.

I always notice grammar and spelling mistakes, like many mentioned here.

Another one that I notice SO many people do is to use the Nominative "I" as the Object of a preposition when it should be "Me".

And I hear this by all kinds of educated people on news shows and in speeches and everywhere.

It is like they totally forgot the right times to use the Objective case instead of the Nominative case.

Susan O.

Oh, I feel so inferior, I have never been able to get any foals "out of" my stallions like so many others do. They and me must be doing something wrong?
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back