Got my Flaxseed today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgranch

Reaction score
Did I get the right stuff?? I feed one heaping tablespoon per horse once daily right?? I grounded it up in a coffee grinder and it got real fluffy!!

Thanks

Gina

That sounds like the right stuff. I think there's only "one" kind of flax seed (?). And, to look at it whole, it is small (about the size of a seasame seed), brown, and shiny. When you grind it, it gets lighter and fluffy
default_yes.gif

I believe there are numerous varieties of flax, but as long as it is flax, you should be just fine.

Peggy

I wouldn't use flax that was ground previously, all of the 'good stuff' is very volatile and only lasts for a day or two. So, if you use pre-ground flax, you are getting roughage, but very little else. All the desirable properties of the flax would be long gone.

We grind flax on an as needed basis for ourselves and, as of yesterday, started giving a little to our mini, too, thanks to this forum! SE Tex warm weather is coming soon and I'm dying to see what our new little buddy has to offer under his woolies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown flax is one kind and very good. We buy rolled, not ground so that all the good stuff is still there in the package, brown and gold flax. Grinding it yourself before feeding is great when you have whole.
default_yes.gif

Thank you guys I hadn't feed it yet was waiting to hear from all of you!! Jill, it looks just like you described so I did get the right feed!! Yahoo, can't wait to feed it!! It is really easy to grind and the bag was 50# for $30.00. What would the difference be between brown and green I wonder??

Thanks so much,

Gina

Latest posts

Back