Goose rumped? And a few other questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsegal5

Reaction score
I am quite confused on this, I am trying to learn more about comformation, and I have seen some horses that to me look gooserumped(or what I think gooserumped means), and one of my minis I think looks goose rumped, but my trainer likes him and thinks he's whats in... Also at looking at my bigger horses who I think have a pretty nice comformation, they look very similar to my mini. I would love to see pictures of some gooserumped horses, so I can try to compare and learn.

And also what is the ideal tailset, it seems to me that most seem to want it to start right at the top of rump, but from what I've seen most don't?

We are also showing for the first time this year, And my trainer also said that when setting up for halter, not to let the back legs go to far back(like a shetland look), but more underneath them, but most minis I've seen set up for the shows have the shetland look or close to it...

I think at the mini shows, most people present the horse pretty much squared up, but also, I think the "rule" says to present it to its best advantage so it could vary depending on the horse.

Here is a gooserumped horse imo. One of my big horses.

Rockets-page-2.jpg

heres a drawing of it. some people use the term "butt high"

gooserump.jpg

The rule books talk about the tail being neither high nor low but smoothly rounding off the butt. My rocket has a great tail set that all his foals get

redrocket2.jpg

You do not want to set a halter horse with the legs stretched behind or the judge will think they are camped out in back. You can though let them stretch one back leg which i think looks really good on most horses

My yearling filly Joy is goose rumped at this time... But I am starting to think she will stay that way :no: I DO believe it is from either her sire or dam, but I will not say. Any way, she turned 1 two days ago, so here are picture from 4 days ago. It is very cold up here and rainy, so I'm sorry she is only partly clipped. I did clip her legs, tummy and chest yesterday, only leaving her rump and back covered. I'll post new pictures soon. And she is still in winter condition here, we have since been working her, and her tummy is going away!!! :new_multi: :488: :bgrin

Note: How she is set up, but squared and stretched
default_wink.png
:

JoyCute4.jpg

JoyHal3.jpg

Joycute2.jpg

JoyHal2.jpg

I love this horse
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Joy is not goose-rumped at all. She is rump-high right now, but not goose-rumped. She's actually the opposite IMHO with a very flat table-top croup. I'll try to scan some of my conformation diagrams later tonight and post them here.

Leia

Desiree, I don't think your filly is goose-rumped at all! She looks high in the rear right now, and may or may not outgrow that, but she certainly does not appear to be goose-rumped at all!

Totally agree with Mona and HobbyHorse on your filly, Desiree.... your filly is growing and will outgrow any "funny butt"
default_rolleyes.gif
: things as she matures..

Can't wait to see her clipped... she is a pretty one!!
default_yes.gif
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I thought the same thing that Joy was butt high, boy I was getting really confused for a minute...

I guess we are both learning something here, there's always room to learn more!

thanks to all the responded,

I'm confused, and am certainly looking forward to more pictures and diagrams. Someone said, they "outgrow" the rump problem.... when does that little miracle happen? Right now, I think all our minis are goose rumped, or high or something is wrong.. I'm gonna go stare at some more rumps out the front door for a moment...

SO please post more about it quick! I'm so confused!
default_wacko.png
:

God Bless,

Lynn W

Allright, trying to remember my Horsebowl info! Having a high rump makes the horse look like...well, what they call running down hill, where the horses hips are much higher then the shoulder. This happens to growing babies, as basically their back end grows faster than their front end. But don't worry, the front end usually catches up!! Goose rumped is where the hip breaks off to the tail in a very downward slant, like a steep drop off. If you look at pictures of Arabs or the like, it shows a very flat croup(which is what they want) it gives them a higher tailset, like Midnight Star and Kaykay's horses(which by the way are both gorgeous). The flat croup is opposite of goose rumped. Picture a V on your horses butt! So no, goose rumped and butt high(running downhill) are not the same thing.

default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this definition from this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_confor...arters_and_Hips

Goose- or Steep-Rumped

- Viewed form the side, the pelvis assumes a steep, downward slope.

- Uncommon, except in draft horses.

- A steep slant of the pelvis lowers the point of buttock bringing it closer to the ground & shortening the length of muscles from the point of buttock & the gaskin. Shortens the backward swing of the leg because of reduced extension & rotation of hip joint. A horse needs a good range of hip to get a good galloping speed and mechanical efficiency of hip and croup for power & thrust. Therefore, a goose-rumped horse is not good at flat racing or sprinting.

-Harder for a horse to “get under†and engage the hindquarters. Causes the loins and lower back to work harder, predisposing them to injury.

-A goose-rump is valuable in sports with rapid turns & spins (reining, cutting). The horse is able to generate power for short, slow steps (good for draft work).

-Horse is most suited for stock horse work, slow power events (draft in harness), low speed events (equitation, pleasure, trail)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_conformation

Desiree your girl is too stretched in those pics. probably if you showed her with those back legs stretched that far behind her the judge will ask you to square up.

when we talked about this on the youth forum it was very confusing for a lot of people. If you are talking about a mature horse 9 times out of 10 a butt high horse is a goose rumped horse. But remember on the youth forum when we all said that young horses are harder to judge as it could be a growth spurt etc. Most but not all gooserumped horses look like the tail was pinned down low. If you look at the drawing you can see the tail looks low and the croup is slanted making it weak.

your horse i believe is more of a balance thing. Right now her back half is bigger then her front half. She may mature out of that and for sure conditioning her front end will help. But shes just a yearling right?? I would not work a yearling much so would just see how she continues to mature. My kandi kay looks so much like your girl and has evened out since she matured but is still a little bigger in the back then the front.

Also looking at rockets pic he has one hind leg out of square but the rest of him is square. So you can see even standing square he has a nice croup and tail set.

Cowgurl_up and R3 have it exactly right according to my conformation book. Rump-high is a relative thing and it means that the highest point of the rump is higher than the shoulder and the horse is built "down hill." Babies will go through stages where they are butt-high and awkward just because one end is shooting up faster than the other. They will even out into their adult conformation eventually. On an adult horse who is butt-high it is a permanent thing and not necessarily bad depending on the sport they are being trained for.

Before getting into goose rump, here are some basic terms. The croup is the highest point of the back or rump behind the loins and is where the top of the pelvis, called the ilium, meets the sacrum, the place where the hind legs join the spine. Ideally the croup should be the same height as the withers. Many people (like me in my earlier post) use "croup" to mean the entire top of the rump but according to this book that is incorrect. The croup is the highest point, the rest is the slope of the quarters.

Now goose-rumped is defined as a sloping rump (seen from the side) where the point of the buttocks is much lower than the croup. This is usually paired with a low tail-set as well but can be disguised sometimes by a higher tail set that makes the quarters look level when actually the pelvis is tilted strongly down. Pay attention to the angle made by drawing a line between those two points, not the the outline of the top of the rump. We are talking about bone structure here.

I consider Kody to be fairly goose-rumped and a bit short in the quarters and yes, he does match the description given by R3 and my book for what that does to his action. You will note however that he is not butt-high as his croup is equal with or below his withers. The point of his buttock however is down near the second fence rail on the left and his pelvic angle is pretty steep despite the nice rounding on the top of his rump. This shot is of him as a five year old gelding, so he's done growing. Ignore the lines on the shoulder, they are left over from another post a year ago.

Kody.jpg

Remember however that conformation faults do not live in a vacuum. A horse who is short in one place may make up for it by being long in another and end up coming out even. That's what makes judging conformation such a challenge! You've really got to remember to look at the overall picture and form-to-function to judge a horse accurately.

Leia

Latest posts

Back