Good Ohio hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthology

Reaction score
Hello there!

I am proud to say that I am a new owner of a miniature horse! Se is so beautiful! She is very sweet! Follows us everywhere! I am so excited! Once she settles in we are even going to have a "*Horse-Warming party."

Next Tuesday I will have internet services turned on at my home and can upload more pictures then!

I have owned her for almost one week. I have a few concerns about taking care of my mare correctly. I have been researching for quite awhile now in regards to feeding and nutrition.

I cannot seem to find good old plain grass hay around here! I read that timothy was good for minis, and thought I was set to bring her home! In so far, my horse does NOT like the timothy hay I have for her.

Previous owner fed her dark green grass hay only. It was beautiful hay! However, she said she isn't selling any of hers (I don't blame her! Beautiful hay! I'd have held on to every bale myself)!

With this mild winter she has been eating grass out in pasture. Her stool went from individual pellets that were dark and hard when I brought her home. I read that this meant she was perhaps a bit dehydrated? The color was very dark brown, as in darker than Hershy's chocolate brown.

From the grass in the pasture and what little nibble of Timothy she "seems" to eat, her manure is now soft, what I could call "normal." Seems plumper, fuller, moister. The color is brown, much lighter than when she first came to live with me.

I did note a worm in this new colored poo. It was dead by the time I found it. It was curled up, white. Overall, it would have wrapped around the outside edge of a dime. I am not sure what kind it is, but indeed, my mare is just a tad bit too skinny. I can feel her spine and back "hips" a bit. I assumed it was because she was the lowest horse on the "totem pole." I thought perhaps the other horse higher up weren't letting her get enough hay. Perhaps it is a combination of both of these things, it makes sense with the water too.

(At least with my Serama chickens, that's the way things go, the lowest one on the totem pole ussually doesn't get enough food and water sometimes).

I did pick up three different horse wormers. I forgot the names, but am doing some research on alternating different wormers over different months.

***MY MAIN QUESTION IS:

For all owners in Ohio, does anyone know where I can find some good grass hay since this is what my mare is used to eating? Even is she eventually does begin eating the timothy hay, I would like to get a list going of potential suppliers for in the future. I have google'd and craiglist'd and kijiji'd like crazy and am coming up empty handed. What scares me the most is my supplier of Timothy hay is now SOLD OUT!

I live in Northwest Ohio. I would be willing to travel a little ways into Northeastern Indiana or southern Michigan.

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have nice timothy hay, I would try to keep offering it to her. Eventually, she will eat it. It took me about two months to wean one of mine that was on alfalfa over to a timothy hay a few years ago. Funny thing Is that I feed alfalfa mixed hay now. I got a weanling over winter who had been on pasture, no hay. I tried just offering the hay figureing he'd eventually eat it, but he wasnt eating enough to keep weight on. I ended up supplementing him with alfalfa cubes and beetpulp. Im just now getting him to start eating regular hay, and we have had him for two months. With him I tried buying all different kinds of hay, and really drove myself nuts. What he likes the best is the hay I originally tried, he just prefers it soaked.

Sorry I cant help you with a hay source in Ohio, but we have a lot of members from that area, hopefully someone can help.

Well thanks! I really appreciate it! I guess I could supplement a little like you did.

I hope to someday have a show quality mini as well. For right now though, my pet quality lady makes my heart skip a beat.

This is my first horse ever! I have been waiting ALL of my long years (I'm 31). I definitly found the right mare to learn with. She is SO SWEET!

What wormers did you buy, there is one that you DO NOT give to Mini's, I can't remember the name right now so please tell us what you got and then if it is the bad one someone will jump in and tell you to not

give that one to her, and welcome to LB and the world of the Miniature Horse. (It won't be long and you WILL have a second one
default_laugh.png

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
What wormers did you buy, there is one that you DO NOT give to Mini's, I can't remember the name right now so please tell us what you got and then if it is the bad one someone will jump in and tell you to not

give that one to her, and welcome to LB and the world of the Miniature Horse. (It won't be long and you WILL have a second one
default_laugh.png

Danny
INDEED! I would have bought her "sister" on the same day had my Cadillac not broken down. Cost of repairs $4,000
default_smile.png
SWEET! (NOT!)... Anyways, yes, she will have another mare or gelding friend someday. For right now, she has to make do with my friendship... and the kids. and the dogs (who LOVE her), and the teeny tiny Frizzle Serama Chickens... And the cat who stays FAR back and just stares (The cat is scared of her LOL)

I was also curious about her color. Her mane is both dark brown and straw colored. Her tail is just dark brown. Her body is dark brown with an even darker stripe running down her back. Does anyone have any thoughts/guesses as to what color she will likely be this spring? I guess I am excited to find out the name of the color she appears to be.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Minis.DEFINITELY do not EVER use QUEST wormer.It can kill a Mini.Too much margin for error in weight and dosage.Safeguard or Panacur is a good safe first time wormer.Your Mini may not like timothy if it is too coarse.Many people who bale timothy wait until it comes to a head and it can get stemmy.Learned at hay seminars that in most cases timothy is a one cutting deal so many famers try to get all they can and leave it growing too long.Ask around and try some big horse people to see where they get hay.If you have any Amish in your area they might know a hay source.Good luck and hay fun with your Mini-they are so much fun.

Hi,

We are from near Dayton so am not too sure if that would help you out . We had a nice hay crop year but had to grab it fast as all the farmers were trucking it to Texas since they had had a drought this summer. It left a lot of horse people in Ohio in trouble searching. Google "Hay in Ohio", and there is a big listing of hay available- what kind and all by area code.

If you are interested we have a miniature horse club for Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. You are a bit farther north, but it might be worth your while to come to at least some of the club events to learn and make friends. We are working on putting together a driving clinic that will be in our area in May. Our first club show is in Springfield, the first weekend in June.

Bonnie Harris

www.ionafarm.com

Check with your feed store and see if they know of anyone with hay for sale.

Hi there, I am not far from you...I live in Green Springs (Sandusky/Seneca) and we are ample in hay in this area. It really is not hard to find. We also are very luck to be able to purchase nice 50lb + bales of alfalfa for under $3.....not sure how far you are willing to travel, But i know of several folks just miles from me who have lots of hay available. I just purchased the last 175 bales from one of the guys.

Hi there, I am not far from you...I live in Green Springs (Sandusky/Seneca) and we are ample in hay in this area. It really is not hard to find. We also are very luck to be able to purchase nice 50lb + bales of alfalfa for under $3.....not sure how far you are willing to travel, But i know of several folks just miles from me who have lots of hay available. I just purchased the last 175 bales from one of the guys.

Brilliant! At those prices, it would make sense for my to travel out that far! The bales are more per bale here that I have found so far.

Could you please give me some contact information for a few of the people selling?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back