Good dental product to use for dogs and cats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
Hi all, my vet recommended this product for periodontal support for dogs teeth and gums. (supposedly can use on cats too).... It is called perio-support and is made by vetri-science laboratories. It is a powder you put on your pets food. I don't remember if I posted this topic before, but now I have tried it for longer and thought I would post as to how great it is doing for my dogs. It has probiotics in it and it is supposed to be used between dental cleanings to maintain the clean teeth of the dog...

What it is doing for my guys is removing the tartar on the teeth.. wow. I am amazed. After a month, you can really see a difference in the amount of tartar on the teeth. My oldest dog is not healthy enough for a dental cleaning and sedation. I was grooming him today and checked out his teeth and said OH MY.

The tartar is completely gone on his canines and smaller teeth on the front and significantly less on his molars. All without brushing. You can buy this stuff from Amazon, I get mine from my vet directly ... it comes in a container about the size of a bottle of cinnamon. I wish they sold it in buckets, I have 6 dogs on it. My collie and all my other dogs have lost a ton of tartar and their gums are pink and not inflamed.

I brush my dogs teeth diligently and get them professionally cleaned when I can afford it, but they still build up terrible tartar no matter what I have done in the past. this product is terrific... so far so good... 1 month now, can't wait to see what they look like in another month. Cool thing is that my pickiest dogs eat it right up!!! It must taste good too.
default_yes.gif
Just thought I would share.. LOVE IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent...I was just looking at this or a similar product the other day...only reason I didn't buy it was because I had never heard of anyone using it. I will buy it now, and give it a try. Thanks!!

When I was working in pet food retail we sold a similar product... my suggestion, if your pet likes the taste is actually to put the powder on a plate on its own after feeding or under the food in the bowl. The reason is that most dogs don't chew the greatest so much of the product gets swallowed without touching the teeth. Licking the powder up from the dish mixes with the saliva to ensure it gets spread through the mouth and stays for a while. If you have a large plaque buildup on the back teeth you can dip your finger in water and rub directly on the teeth- no need to scrub or anything, just make sure the product reaches the teeth in the back. Most of these products work using enzymes, often cheese based, check your bottle you may find they work best if kept in the fridge.

I just purchased Plaque Blast. I'll let you know how it works, although my BG doesn't have much plaque build-up yet. Just wanted to start early, since BGs don't take anaesthetic very well.

Good thought about not using products with food. Best to use it between meals and not allow the dog to eat or drink for at least an hour after using.

Lizzie

This product is supposed to go on the food. It does not require refrigeration. It has digestive enzymes, probiotics, and all kinds of interesting stuff in it. Works great. I put it on both meals, morning and night. I brush once a week and use this stuff all week. It is doing a great job cleaning the teeth. I have tried other products, never had results as good as this.
default_saludando.gif

I know they say to use them on top of the food, I'm just stating my own obeservation from use of the product. I've always found them to work better when the dog/cat gets it at the end of the meal instead of on top of the food. They still work on the food and since thats what most people find easiest thats what the directions on the bottle say.

I know they say to use them on top of the food, I'm just stating my own obeservation from use of the product. I've always found them to work better when the dog/cat gets it at the end of the meal instead of on top of the food. They still work on the food and since thats what most people find easiest thats what the directions on the bottle say.

So you use this product specifically? How long? Do you just put it in the mouth as a powder? Just curious, since I have just started using it, I am open to suggestions that work better than what I am doing. Do you use a whole teaspoon per meal? or adjust the amount according to the size of the dog. thanks for input on what you are doing.
default_aktion033.gif

I just ordered two bottles. My little long haired chihuahua has to have her teeth cleaned yearly because she gets so much tartar build up. She just had it done less than 5 months ago and already her breath is a killer. I've got high hopes that maybe I can eliminate those yearly trips to the vet. I lost a dog years ago because no one told me about having dog's teeth cleaned and all that tartar caused her to have heart failure. So I don't take any chances now. At the first sign of build up, she's off to the vet. But I do worry about putting her to sleep because she is so small.

Boy! thank you for this information. I am looking at dentals on 2 of my dogs right away. Vet checked them today and confirmed my observation. I'm going to try this.

Charlotte

Boy! thank you for this information. I am looking at dentals on 2 of my dogs right away. Vet checked them today and confirmed my observation. I'm going to try this.

Charlotte
If your dog is badly in need of a dental, I would suggest getting the dental then using this product to maintain and prevent..., unless of course you have an oldster like I do that cannot be knocked out. Your dog could have gingivitis or a gum infection so I just want to throw that out there. Just be sure you don't have loose teeth, and a major issue, work with your vet. I also suggest that if you do need a dental on your dog... start on this stuff first. It softens the tartar and improves the gums so much, it may make your dental so much less of a chore and can end up saving you big $.

In other words, do not rule out dentals that are absolutely necessary... but that this product is really taking off the tartar and helping my dogs. The two can go hand in hand.

Dental problems really shorten the lives of our dogs.

I used a similar product, and I never really measured the dose out just eyeballed a sprinkle in the bowl. I would use more for larger dogs than smaller dogs or cats though. I used the product for over a year and noticed a huge difference in my mothers dog in just a few weeks when he was staying with me. I was also feeding him different food which I believe contributed as well but I maintain that the "shedding" of the plaque buildup was mostly because of the tartar enzyme product.

Charlotte, if your dogs are older I would suggest trying the product for a few weeks before booking your dentals unless your vet suggested immediate care. Putting them under can be so hard on them and you would be surprised how much difference these products can make. I would also suggest a food with fewer grains, especially corn if you are not already feeding one. In your case I would reccomend trying to get the product directly onto the teeth with your finger to make sure it reaches the gumline in the back of the mouth. That said, dental disease is a huge factor in premature aging of dogs and if the product doesn't give you huge difference ina short time I would go ahead with the dental.

Hi all, I am still using this dental powder, still very pleased with the results. It is called perio support.. news flash, they now carry it in a larger container, much more price savy buying in the bigger container. My little tibetan spaniel who is 7 years old has perfect white teeth now on this product. I do think you must brush once a week to work the best. Looks like if you use it every day without brushing, when you stop, all the tartar hardens again. Treat daily, brush weekly, best results. Bigger container, awesome.

Take care.

My vet got me 16 oz container and charged me 30$ for it. Don't know if u can get that big on Internet yet. My vet keeps her markup low on her products.

Thanks. I looked online and not yet available anywhere that I could see. Maybe they are only giving the large ones to vets for resale.

Latest posts

Back