dog dental products

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
I started a string awhile ago about dog dental products. At the time I was loving the perio support powder I was getting from amazon and I put it on their food. I don't know whether they changed its formulation or what,.. but I am no longer enjoying the results so I thought I would post in case there was anybody I had steered that direction with my prior thread.

Now I am trying something new and seeing a difference already in my guys teeth.

This new product I am using is a brushless oral gel you rub on their teeth and gums. I found a sample a vet had given me in my dog tote and decided to try it. I am already seeing results. I like the fact that you can rub it on sore gums and not use a brush. You can use this on cats too.

It is called ZYMOX brushless enzymatic oral care therapy dental gel by pet king co. Amazon carries it. It has aloe in it becides the enzymes to take off the tartar, so helps the inflammation on those older dogs that are already having dental problems. Not to replace a regular dental cleaning by your vet... but I am very pleased to say that after 3 weeks I am seeing a huge difference in my dogs teeth and gums. Will keep you posted in future on if this product continues doing well, but so far so good...

My vet told me that my basset hound's dental will cost a ton of money. That is keeping me diligent in putting this on his teeth daily. It has taken much of the hard brown stuff off his teeth in 3 weeks of use. I am hoping it will continue to do so, but even if it doesn't take it all off, it will hopefully make the cleaning less difficult when I have my vet do it.

It does have some dextrose in it, I assume to make it taste good... so if you have a diabetic dog you might want to ask your vet. My guys like it and do not struggle when I put it on their teeth. The best part is that it is brushless, you can use it on cats too and it has aloe to soothe the already irritated gums. Wishing I had taken before photos to post progress, but thought I would pass along this information. I think trying to deal with gingivitis on dogs and having to get professional cleanings is one of the more difficult tasks of a dog owner.

take care... post if any of you have ever tried this product. It is clear and odorless and not messy. It also says you can use it on dogs with cancer or chronic illness. safe enough for every day and for dogs on medication and it really cuts the bad breath.

In my experience with dental products and dogs PlaqClnz works the best. I have the whole water

irrigating system, it's messy and dogs must tolerate it BUT the gel alone with or without scaling with a tool or a fingernail works great -- also learned you shouldn't scale teeth too much without polishing.

I will have to look up the product you recommended. As a groomer I always keeping eyes and ears out on products.

TropiClean has a dental gel that doesn't require brushing, they also have a water additive. Results are fair, but literally take 8 weeks plus.

There are many enzyme based products - even some that you dust on top of food that are basically dried cheeses that have the enzymes.

I admit I am horrible at remember to brush my dog'a teeth and I am a groomer!! The brushless gels are far easier. I have smaller breeds (Dachshunds) that are prone to tartar collection due to the shape of their mouths.. Most chews don't reach far enough back to be effective.

It completely saddens me when a dog has poor oral health - anyone who has ever had a tooth ache knows the pain and discomfort you can't escape.

I did an 8 year old yorkie with bad teeth, practically rotting in the sockets, the smell (wow!), the dog would cringe when I groomed its face from the pain, matted hair around the mouth from globs of drool.. And the owner laughed when she picks up telling me how the dog is "so funny because the dog barks at her dry dog food". My blunt reply "I think her mouth hurts and she's hungry". o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to do the annual dental cleaning at the vet hospital but have a couple of dogs that still build up tartar even with annual professional cleanings. Chinese crested have a predisposition for horrible teeth and even when you are totally dedicated you still need extractions at every professional cleaning.

I also have a couple of dogs that are so geriatric that make me nervous about having them knocked out for dental cleanings, however vs. bad teeth and chronic pain sometimes we take the risk and do the cleaning anyway. Bad teeth can cause heart issues in dogs.

I am always on the alert for products that might work better than others so I will check out the product you mentioned Boss mare.

Added... I just checked my bassett hounds teeth and the zymox has removed all the visible tartar from his back teeth and is working on his canine tartar and has about 50% gone in 2-3 weeks of daily treatment. so far so good and it tastes good to them. When I get the tube out the dogs line up, so it must be doing something right. stay tuned.

anybody else have experience with any dental products with success If you can post some additional ideas I would appreciate. thanks

ps...got my son to tickle the tummy of our basset hound this afternoon and I was able to snap off the rest of the tartar off of his canines without any effort and we now have a bright white mouth on my boy. happy dance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back