going faster then a walk might bit your butt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike K

Reaction score
Ok I know this problem will sound silly but I come seeking advise. We have been working with Dandy a lot and he is settling down nicely. I am very happy with his progress. When we first got him he did like to be caught. We work that out pretty quick. Now he will come right up to you happy your there. He was very nerves about touching him behind the shoulders. That for the most part is not a issue now. He is still kinda touchy about the tail. He leads great couldnt ask for him to do better. I have been working him on a short lung line and he is doing great with that. I have hi going right left and stopping turning face in on command. So all in all I am extremely happy with his progress and tells me that at some point before his last owner he has been work quite a bit.

Now the one little issue I cant for the life of me figure out. Walking on or of the lead he is spot on well manured follows every where your lead with out issue. But if you try and jog making him pick up the pace he wants to nip you on the butt. This has just started in the last couple of days. He didn't do it at first. I cant figure out why or how to stop it. I can stop him from doing it by telling him no and looking at him square in the eyes. As soon as you turn your head he starts easing up again ready to take a little nibble. Again this only at a nice jog or trot for him.

any and all advise welcome. I am at my wits in.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is he is seeing you as another horse and you are just ticking him off. It may also be he is sore and the situation is irritated when you make him jog, you are ticking him off and he is still treating you like he would treat a pasture buddy.

Watch him while he is turned out see if he shows any signs of lameness or an off gait that would suggest there may be some pain, if not, I am guessing he is just trying to be the alpha horse. In which case, you need to treat him like a big horse, not a cute little angel that does no wrong
default_wink.png
, and put him in his place.

Watch horses together, especially when a sassy playful horse buzzes by an older horse in a "lets play" manor, it is not uncommon for an older horse to take a stride or two just to catch the other and nip the younger one in the rump. Sounds like what you are describing.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for the reply. That is pretty much how I felt about it. He is just being contrary. I have watch closely for any singes that he might have a problem causing him pain but I see none.

Mike

Yep he is thinking play time. Just snap his chin, or slap his neck let him know you are leader and he is horse.

HI Mike. I agree with what the others are saying and will add that Dandy is used to being turned out with a stallion before you bought him and stallions do play dangerously rough.

I would say this:

Is he getting enough free play time before you work him?

and if so,

he is probably missing a companion of his own species to play horsey with and is using you as a subsitute.

I think its time to go shopping for a second mini for his companionship. I don't feel that humans can fill that void as horses are a herd animal.

CMHR has lots of horses available for adoption that would make him a perfect companion!

Marty, you have touched on something that has been a concern of mine. He stay's out all day but only has my lab for company. The turn out area is smaller then I would like at roughly 100'x 40' but it will have to do for the time being. While they do play around and it is funny to see the lab does not stay put. he is free to come and go as he pleases. I have no way of knowing just how much he is there during the day. We have been looking for a play mate. To be honest the idea of adoption never even crossed my mind. We have found a mare that Amanda and I both love but as I am still building fence and to be honest recouping from the perches of Dandy I have been trying to put off buying another one for a bit.

I will have to do a bit of research on CMHR and see what is needed for adoption. I have read a few of the treads but that is about it.

thanks

Mike

Huh , did not know he was an 'ONLY' horse. Then this is the issue, we've hit it on the head. I have a yearling Stallion that is in his own pen, he shows the same behaviour, but I know its because he doesn't have anyone to play with right now and wants to play. Plus with all the fall fix it up - put in new, etc activities, the ponies/horses are on vacation from training, which adds to the situation. But if you are spending time in trianing, it is a herd thing.

Good Luck!

Huh , did not know he was an 'ONLY' horse. Then this is the issue, we've hit it on the head. I have a yearling Stallion that is in his own pen, he shows the same behaviour, but I know its because he doesn't have anyone to play with right now and wants to play.
Good Luck!
I too have a yearling colt in his own pen. However, he doesn't have the bad behavior. I think it is because he shares the fence line with his girls and is let out to run with the girls for about 1 hour a day. I don't leave him with them because I do not want any accidetal babies. I am in the pen with them. When they are done playing I walk over to him and take ahold of his mane and walk him back to his pen. When he didn't have the time out with the girls because I was sick for about a month, when I went out to see him he had a bad attitude. As soon as he got his "OUT" time again he was his own sweet self again.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly...when you ask him to trot on the lead, he drops behind you and bites you in the butt? I'd suggest you keep him right next to you, with his throatlatch even with your hip, then he can't do it. You control his head with your right hand, so you can even prevent him from turning his head to bite you anywhere else when he is in the correct position. If you are running in front of him to get him to trot, try staying at his side, as I suggested, and carry a whip in your left hand, pointed behind you. When you ask him to trot, enforce your verbal command with a tap of the whip and soon he will get the idea. The safest place for a horse to be is right next to you.

well you guys pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. He is playing and probably a bit lonely not having his running buddy around any more. Guess that means I need to get on the ball and get the rest of the fence finished so we have the proper room to keep a new friend for him.

ThreeCFarm thanks for the suggestions. I have been leading him behind me. That's the way I have always done big horse and never gave it any thought on the little guy.

Mike

You really should be able to lead your horse on a tight or a loose lead but until you curb this behaviour by establishing that you are the boss you might want to do what ThreeC suggests. If he is doing it out of a need to be in charge he will be showing that in other ways as well. Watch him for little signs of aggression such as moving his hip towards you or flattening his ears in your direction. Immediate punishment in the form of a sharp "eh" and a step towards him will stop him from behaving this way and establish you as the one in control. If he is doing it because he wants to quit working then you need to use your best judgement - have you OVER worked him to the point where he is peeved and wants to quit or is he just lazy and doesn't want to work at all?

I don't really believe that it is impossible to keep a single horse. I have quite successfully kept several full size horses on their own. As long as they have some form of companionship, either another type animal or yourself, they can be quite happy. If he was taken from a herd when he was quite young, before he had a chance to learn herd manners from his elders, that can explain his present behaviour and it will be up to you to do the teaching now.

This is one of those " he doesn't respect you" scenarios and you definitely don't want to let him get away with it. You can get use to a horse doing something little like this and so you compensate and watch him but that means they'll try it with almost everyone else.

It's a bad habit you want to break. I know as I am guilty of the same thing. My stallion comes to get his halter on, drops his head and stands perfectly still until I fasten the clip under his neck. The minute that snap clicks he does a little jump and moves his head as if to nip. I always watch him but it occured to me that if anyone else were to take care of my horses that he'd probably nip them. He's really not bad it's just become his habit and I haven't tried to break him of it. I do plan on working on this.

As others have mentioned try to keep your guy at your side and with a short crop or broom or even your arm extended to show him just where you want your "space" to extend to and where his should stop. If he does try to come in and nip then a BIG voice of "NO" or a quick pop of the lead chain reinforced with a NO should help him understand what you want.

Honestly he will lead with out a lead. I can fold the lead rope over his back or take it off and he will stay one step behind me or Amanda. I have never seen any signs of aggression at all. When we first got him he was quite skittish. I think this had more to do with not being handle for a year then anything. Now he comes right up to you. if we set out on the porch he wants to be up there just like the dogs.

I do not think I am over working him. If anything the opaset might be true. I get home about 6:15 stop and rub his ears and talk to him. I have to walk past him to get in the front door. I go in for a few min. Then I will go out and clip a lead on and take him for a nice walk. About 5 min long. I then take him back to the yard and turn him loose. Then I take care of a few things. I generaly go get him in about 30-45min. We have been working on the a short lung line at this point and he does great. A little slow to get going but after a few secounds it right left stop all on comand. We do this for 10-15 min. I then go put him back in the yard. finish up the stuff I started that normaly take about 20 min. I then go get him for a walk again befor putting him in the stall for the night. I like to make this one a bit longer. We had been joging for 5min or so and then walking for 10. This nipping just started. He didnt do it before and I have been walking him from the start. He dont bit hard but if I dont get it stoped now it will turn into a hard bit.

Does that sound like to much?

Mike

Hi, I have been getting lessons from a trainer this year. She has worked hard on my body position while working with my mini. My first lesson I started to move out and get ahead of my boy and she said "stop right there", you are going to get hurt doing that. You can't see him, you can't correct him and if he jumps, rears, or acts up you are going to get it from behind. She moved me to the left shoulder between the girth and the shoulder blade. When he gets speedy, I am to do "half halts" with the lead as if you are using reins. As soon as he is walking quiet very important to relax the lead, but if they forge ahead you do half halts again, then quickly release when they relax. On short line lunging you position yourself lined up with the girth and you can encourage them to walk/trot around you, about the length of a lead rope and work up to a lunge line. My boy has gone from rearing and mowing me down and silly stuff, to head relaxed, walk and trot etc. I maintain position in all gaits, walk trot and during lunging. She tells me that my horse cannot come into my "space" without invitation either. It feels so good to see my 2 year old listening and maturing this summer. I'm not a total novice but I felt like it once she showed me how important my body language and position was. Anyway, my 2 cents worth, hope this makes sense, I just wanted to share since I saw such a difference in my boy.

Does that sound like to much?
Mike
No it doesn't sound like too much to me. If he didn't used to do this and has now taken it up there is some reason for it. He is either trying to boss you around or show you he is irritated by what you are doing. In either case it is not acceptable behaviour and you need to punish him quickly and appropriately. You should lead him in the manner suggested, at his shoulder, until you have curbed the habit. If you feel him attempting to bite you, give him a hard shank and loud NO while backing him away from you.

Hi, I think im a little late on replying to this but since he's a yearling I have learned the hard way that they need a friend.

I got Rain at 4 months and didn't have another horse. Boy did he put up a fight. He would pin hiss ears back and actually go at you wether at the face or the arm. He use to nip your butt while you were cleaning out the paddock.

I did some reading about a couple months ago and realized that we overhandled him and since he didn't have a friend to teach him manners he took it out on us and we wouldn't correct him like an older horse would.

He's fine now though, but since i have been the only one training him, mom's too afraid to go near him : P , he is use to the way i work and use my body and he knows he can't get away with anything when im around and he loves me and only me. I know that may sound weird but its true, he pins hisears back when my mom walks in the paddock but lickily doesn't attack like he use to. He is very testy though, will test anyone, anywhere, anytime. Were working on that. : )

Good luck!

My trainer also showed me the correction for crowding, biting, thinking about rearing etc. Same as post above, quick little pops with the lead, stop, relax the lead, reposition yourself at the shoulder and move out like nothing happened, should be a seamless correction and fluid. My boy had that "did you see that, wow" look on his face, he licked his lips, straightened up and walked polite. Sometimes a well timed correction doesn't need to be repeated. She emphasised timing. Check and correct, recover, reposition and move on. Don't over do the correction and it didn't have to be hard and was not painful, more like a surprize to get my boys attention. My boy is 2 years old. Correction varies on the age of the horse. Also my boy got MUCH easier to handle when the breeder sent his father here for a turn out buddy when he was a yearling. His dad is mature and well mannered, and he did some really nice correcting of his boy, but also provided an outlet for the "mugging" we were getting from a yearling that was sweet but full of himself.

I was at a show last month and my friend asked me to show her little 6 month old colt.When I asked for a little trot in the ring he bit me on the fanny, every time , and always in front of the judge.
default_wacko.png
It wasnt my horse so I couldnt repremand him....but I have used the suggestion of waving my hand behind my back and if he gets within biting distance ...he gets a firm tap on the nose without thinking it was me ...just some odd hand floating by ..worked like a charm at home. I learned that on this forum...thanks!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back