Going Crosseyed looking at my Pregnant Maiden Mare- Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so , Is the colour change within the vulva one of the final changes ??. Noticed it as purple last night with blood vessels very prominent.

Very excited I must say
default_yes.gif

That is the last change I usually notice. But I don't check as vidulently as some

I usually check morning and evening

I would keep a close eye

have you been able to get any milk from her?

if so when it's sticky to the touch right away on your fingers that's another real close sign

me too I check Morning and evening . No I haven't been able to get any milk from her, I wasn't sure because she's a maiden if she would completely bag up before foaling.?

Thanks
default_smile.png
Ryan

It sounds as though you will be seeing a new baby very soon Ryan. Do go and read the pinned thread above on Preparing for your foal so you are ready to help this little one into the world. Do you have contact with a vet or at least an experienced breeder just in case you need assistance - we always warn our vets that we have a mare due. Also do you have another family member who would be prepared to come over and keep you company during your 'sit and watch' stints - they may not be experienced but just having the extra company (to make calls for help or even just comforting cuppas during the long night) can be soooooooooooooo helpful! Are you/or is someone also there with her during the daytime hours as mares have been known to foal during the day sometimes?

Good luck - wishing you a safe smooth and successful foaling and waiting for the exciting announcement plus all the details and, of course, pictures!
default_yes.gif

I'll add that my very experienced broodmare didn't bag up at all last year so I was a little caught off guard when the foal came and the milk came in after the baby. Hope to see baby pictures soon and happy foaling.

Hi all thanks for your responses so much appreciated
default_worshippy.gif

Eagles Ring farm - It would be lovely if they all played by the book. I agree, that extra sleep would be fantastic
default_yes.gif

Anna- I have my vet ready to go, I ring her every couple of days with an update on how Rexina is progressing. I only started using her at the start of last year. And she lives close to me which makes it even better. Even if she isn't on call or working when Rexina Foals, I am to ring her the moment she goes into labour and she will head straight to my place.

I have my mum at home during the day whilst I go into work to do a few things. I am also lucky that I have Breeders of Miniatures ponies that live two doors down from my house. Mum has their number and also the vets number should she notice the slightest change she will ring.

I am seriously thinking of buying shares in a coffee company
default_smile.png
Thinking it should be called "Nutty Nursery Coffee" lol. I have read the preparing for foaling thread a few times now . Usually sit in the paddock reading it and sometimes read parts to Rexina (is that weird lol?)

Mountain Woman- Even the experienced broodmares like to keep us on our toes
default_smile.png

Thanks for all of your well wishes, Im so happy I joined this forum, I would recommend it to anyone that is involved in miniature ponies
default_yes.gif

Ryan

default_cheers.gif

Oooo, another Auzzie! Yay, Welcome to the the forum. Best help you could get on here. My maiden mare just foaled last sept and these guys were a massive help. Good luck with your mare, she looks about ready!

Thanks Countrymini, They are an awesome group on here, Ive been on this forum flat out for the last 5 months. I have learnt so much along the way but best part is you have someone to talk to, to reassure you and point you in the right direction .
default_worshippy.gif

Oh Hayley you are sooooooooooooooo right!! LOL!! Very few of our beloved girls have read the "Correct Foaling Proceedure" book!

Ryan you are to be congratulated on all your foaling 'preparations', a lot of folks dont bother as they seem to think that there is no need, that nature will take care of what should be a natural easy process! Luckily everyone on here really cares about their mares and will do everything possible for their wellbeing and that of the coming foal.

We are so glad that you joined us here and we hope that we have been some help to you and Rexina. Tell your Mom and any other helpers that they will not have to wait long now to see the 'fruit' for all their support. We also hope that you will stay around and help us with all the other little ones expecting babies this foaling season - plus of course we shall require lots of updated pictures of Rexina and her baby over the summer months.
default_yes.gif

Thanks Anna Your very Kind
default_yes.gif
Of course Ill be sticking around (Im al little addicted to this forum to be honest lol)

I would recommend this forum to anyone that is considering breeding or just owning a miniature Pony. so much knowledge on here from so many wonderful people with a wealth of experience and always willing to help
default_thumbup.gif
default_worshippy.gif
default_yes.gif

Not sure I've posted yet to this thread - didn't go all the way back to first 2 pages of it. SOOOOO, welcome!

Lots to learn and yes, great support here. Was a little disappointed to see she hadn't foaled yet, but they do indeed keep us on our toes. Can't wait to see your little one and keeping you on my list for easy, uncomplicated foaling!

Hey Anna no news yet . Lots of rolling during the night , maybe getting baby into position ? The weather has finally cooled down after weeks in the high 30's and low 40's . Will upload some more pictures tonight . Hope all is well on your side of the world ;)

I keep checking this thread also hoping all is going well.

ETA: Guess I was posting same time as you. So happy to hear all is going well.
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All,

Another sleepless night at this end of the world. Lots of Rolling , Getting up little walks, rolling a little more, going for more walks, more rolling . I think I have had about 20 minutes sleep in total over the night. Coffee will be my best friend today
default_worshippy.gif

Due for the Vet to come out for a check up this week to make sure everything is progressing nicely.

Everyone I have a question that I would like your opinion on - The last week I have noticed a change in my mares movement. She has trouble turning to walk in the opposite direction . Tight turns she struggles with the most. She certainly is not in a hurry to go anywhere. How have your mares been towards the ends of their pregnancy. I understand all handle it differently and some will feel the effects of pregnancy more than others. Its a bit like she is walking around on egg shells if that makes sense.

Cheers Ryan
default_yes.gif

It sounds as though she is uncomfortable because the foal has not quite dropped into the correct delivery position - tight turns are always difficult at this stage of pregnancy, but the rolling may mean that she is trying to correct the foal. I would have a word with your vet and see if he/she could come and give Rexina a check over sooner rather than later. In my opinion, too much rolling can be very tiring for a mare and she will need as much of her energy as possible reserved for the birth.

Latest posts

Back