Going Crosseyed looking at my Pregnant Maiden Mare- Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my vet out last night as I was concerned and wanted peace of mind for myself and also Rexina as soon as I could.

Re her movement - My vet explained , whilst she is not greatly worried she would like to me get a little of the excess weight that Rexina has put on since her last visit. A little to much weight on her topline.

She believes she is about a month to six weeks off
default_yes.gif
. This is a much better time frame to work with (the original time frame that I was given just before xmas was she was between 3-11 months as per my initial post.) Crazy !!

For me this is great as I will now have time to enclose the shelter I recently built for her, so she can foal comfortably in there and I can set up a camera for constant viewing closer to foaling.

My vet said the same thing Anna, too much rolling will be very tiring as is the excess weight she is carrying. All energy reserves are required for the "Big Event" and to ensure that she has it, a little weight needs to come off now.

First udder development should signal around 4-6 weeks due date. I first noticed significant development around 2 weeks ago , so hoping ill have a new addition in around a month.

I will keep posting pictures of her as I hope you will all stay aboard for the rest of the "Journey"

Cheers Ryan
default_thumbup.gif

Glad to hear that you may have a little more time to prepare, but if you noticed her udder increasing two weeks ago, then she may only have another couple of weeks to go - keep close eye on it!! Also I'm not too sure that I would want to be reducing the food intake this close to foaling - with my obese lot during the last month, we just feed a balancer plus ad lib hay over night when they are stabled. The balancer gives them all the vits and minerals needed without adding to the weight.

How about some more pictures?? Please!

I will take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow
default_yes.gif
. Have only cut back on her green grass intake. She is still receiving her grain
default_smile.png

Aw exciting! While we're busy waiting for this bub to arrive do you have a photo of the sire that you can share? Then we can play colour guessing
default_yes.gif

I'm absolutely usless with possibe colours so not even going to make a guess. LOL!! But I have to say that I really like him and I think you will be having a good looking little foal very soon..
default_yes.gif

Be careful about altering the amount of grazing that Rexina is getting - grass is the most natural food that they can eat and is important for both the mares digestive system, the foal's wellbeing and for milk production. It is also important to get grass into a mare after foaling to 'kick start' her empty digestive system alongside the 'mushy' feeds that you will be giving her for several days - as a mare 'empties' her system just prior to foaling, too much dry food following the birth can block the digestive tract and cause impaction. I would rather reduce her grain feeds to a complimentary 'handful' rather than reduce her grass intake at this late stage.

Me too Anna so will leave the colour guessing to the experts.

Rexina is grazing all day then has her grain of a night. I told my vet that I take her out for a walk and let her eat the lush Green grass around the vegie garden and around the fruit trees. That's the part she wanted me to cut back on. The idea was originally taking her in there for her walks/exercise but we would more often than not do more eating than exercise.

Anna I have to say , that last paragraph you wrote is exactly what my vet said.
default_yes.gif

LOL! Ryan. Yes, the care of a mare is even more important immediately after foaling and for the next few days - a fact that is often overlooked/forgotten in all the excitement of the new foal arriving!

And yes, this time I will agree with your vet re the grass - walkies should be walkies and not strolls from one patch of long lush grass to another! LOL!!

Very exciting news! And Anna, I couldn't have said anything better myself!!

Couldn't take any photos last night as it was raining. And thank goodness for that !!!. First rain we have had in the last few months. Hopefully that will put out the rest of the bushfires that have been sweeping the state.

Anna you make me laugh
default_yes.gif
This is the best therapy for anyone whom is lacking sleep and patiently waiting for the Big arrival
default_thumbup.gif

Diane its great to have you back , Hope you are doing well ( sending hugs from Australia)
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Good Morning Aunties and Support team ,

I said I would post pictures weekly to keep you all updated.

I haven't noticed any changes for a while , but I do look at her constantly and think I need a set of "Fresh Eyes"
default_frusty.gif

I also thought If anyone is good at guessing the colour she may throw - "Guess away "

Cheers Ryan
default_yes.gif

Rexina from above 24.02.14.JPG

Rexina Side on 24.02.14.JPG

Rexina side on2 24.02.14.JPG

Rexina udder 24.02.14.JPG

Squirt.jpg

Bay pinto?? Sorry, as I think I have said many times, I'm useless with colours! She's looking good - just decided to cook her baby a little longer I think. Watch for those teats to fill and point downwards and you will be good to go!
default_thumbup.gif

Good Morning Everyone,

Just a quick update on Rexina . Had the Vet out last night for one of my other horses (Knocked his Whither on something when tearing around the paddock like a racehorse which he thinks he still is at times)

Anyway, my vet couldn't believe the change in Rexina in the way she was moving around the paddock. The last few times she has been out to check on her , Rexina has been very relaxed , not in the mood to over exert herself, very lazy not wanting to move out of first gear etc.

Yesterday and the day before that have been the complete opposite - Trotting around , very alert , Lots of rolling then getting up and trotting off. Vet said to me - Ryan now is the time to start getting excited !!! Now we play the waiting game. Shes on the home straight.
default_yes.gif

Reactions: JAX
LOL!! Ryan I like the sound of your vet!! Also I have often noticed that my 'lazy/relaxed/laid back' girls suddenly get an active bout when very close to foaling - I think it is due to the sudden influx of hormones etc., gearing themselves up for the supreme effort of birth. That's always been my explanation anyway?

Latest posts

Back