Going Crosseyed looking at my Pregnant Maiden Mare- Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan, I had a mare foal last April and there was snow all over and then another foaled in the mid fall right before the snow fell. I just popped foal jammies on them and they did great. I think if I were a mare, I'd rather foal when the weather is a little cooler than very hot with bugs all around but seriously they just do fine. However, I'm so glad Madeline held off because I'm thinking when it's way below zero it's no time to foal.

Getting excited for you!!

Hows she looking today? it cant be long now - really looking forward to seeing what she's been cooking for us!
default_yes.gif

The excitement is building!!

Good Morning ,

I got home too late last night to take any pictures and it was dark when I left for work this morning. Mum not feeling too well so I called in to see her on my way home from work last night.

I did go out and see Rexina when I got home last night and her Udder was very hard , even her nipples were quite hard.

I got up to check on her every hour or so last night but she spent most of the night in the one spot resting/snoozing.

The last 2 days she has been quite warm and clammy around her Vulva and last night I could see a very clear sticky discharge from the bottom of her vulva. The substance is quite thick , definitely thicker than water or urine and was clear substance. Is this ok or should I get the Vet out ??

P.S Ryan Promises that pics will be taken tonight
default_yes.gif

Absolutely. You need to make yourself a comfortable bed in the straw/hay and pee in the barn! LOL

Morning Everyone,

Have a few Problems with Rexina at the moment , severe Laminitis and an Infection.

After seeing the discharge the other day I thought it was time for the vet to run her eyes over her again as it had been roughly 8 weeks since last check up. My vet had the day off so I had another from the same clinic come out.

She Performed an internal on her after we had a talk about whats been happening with her. Couldn't Feel anything inside............ Maybe she has aborted it somewhere along the way she says..... Or maybe she is carrying it very high up she said also. She also said she maybe having a false pregnancy.
default_frusty.gif
:frusty
default_frusty.gif
:frusty

Regardless of whether she is still carrying the foal or not, my main concern and attention now goes to getting this Little mare of mine , sound , Healthy and Happy
default_thumbup.gif

Im am still treating her as if she is pregnant but have removed her from the feed she was on and all Green grass. She is now on antibiotics and mild pain relief . All harmless to pregnant mares which I made sure of. I am now giving her higain Zero with no sugar and some boring Grass hay.

I will try and get on here as much as I can to keep you all updated But my main concern now is to get Rexina back to her usual self.

Thanks All , Ryan
default_thumbup.gif

Well, whatever is hiding or not hiding in there, we're all praying for her health. Keep us posted on how she does with her 'new diet'. Laminitis is no fun for her or YOU, so please keep us updated on her condition, and how you're doing with treating her.

We're here for you!

Ryan did your vet mention anything about soaking her hay? That will take even more sugar out of it and the lower you can get it the better for her.

Ryan, this all seems a bit strange to me! Firstly the laminitis. Yes, some mares do develop a sudden attack of laminitis very late in their pregnancy or even over foaling, but you can usually see it coming from the way the horse is moving. A couple of days ago you took Rexina for a walk and commented upon her being a bit crabby and biting at her stomach, but you said nothing about her 'shuffling' along on possibly painful feet?? When out in her paddock has she been rooted to the spot (severe laminitis) or moving around grazing normally (allowing for the normal slow movement of a mare in late pregnancy)? However, if she has indeed aborted/lost the foal this late in pregnancy then that cold bring on an attack as any stress can cause laminitis.

Did this vet give you any comprehensive instructions on how to deal with the laminitis - stabling on deep soft bedding to encourage her to lay down/rest and also to support her feet - treatment for her feet (hosing etc) - a feeding regime (as Jax says to soak her hay will help to reduce the suger level even further), being careful that the sudden change in diet doesnt cause colic, keep your hay soft and leafy - stemmy hay could well cause a blockage and/or severe colic - soaking the hay will also get some fluid into her as coming off the grass will reduce her liquid intake. Dont forget that she can still have, and needs, her mineral and vitamin supplement/additive even if she is laminitic.

It is of course possible that she is having a false pregnancy, but your usual vet was almost 100% sure of the pregnancy back in February so must have felt something and I'm sure that you would have noticed if she had lost the foal between then and now. But maybe the vet was mistaken? Then there is the change in the colour of her vulva ................................

As I said, it is all most strange and i really dont have any answers for you, it is sometimes very difficult over internet posts and pictures to get an accurate picture of what is going on. Perhaps you should try and get your original vet out again to check on her - anyway I expect they will want to keep checks ongoing due to the laminitis.

Just remembered that Holly is having problems with her maiden mare Indy on here - not due for sometime she keeps developing an udder, another strange occurance!

Wishing you and Rexina good luck - how about some more pictures for us?

Thanks ladies yes it seems very strange to me as well . This has only come on in the last few days . After we finally got rain the grass went bang .

Anna I wouldn't say she was rooted to the spot but she is having trouble getting around . The vet that came did talk me thru what was needed to help her in all respects from feeding to , bedding ,soaking her hay , monitoring her progress ect . I took on a friends welsh mountain pony that had severe laminitis . It took a long time but gradually got him back to his old self & on to pony club with a lovely new home .

I firmly believe she is still carrying a foal and will continue to care for her as if she is . You are very right, her bagging ( not that it's one to brag over lol) and her vulva elongating and colour changes just doesn't add up . The constant biting at her sides, tail swishing , rolling.

She's not a very big fan of her new feed ( I'm introducing it to her slowly) . But it's no sugar and best for her recovery .

Post some new pics tomorrow ;)

It sounds as though you have everything well organised Ryan.
default_yes.gif
Yes it could have been the sudden increase in grass plus her late pregnancy that triggered the laminitis, but rest assured that, as long as she continues with her minerals/vitamins and doesn't develop colic, then no harm will come to the foal at this late stage from Rexina's change in circumstances, as foals are mainly just getting bigger (putting 'flesh' on) during the last month of pregnancy.

Looking forward to those pictures!

Ryan, I was sorry to read about Rexina's problems but sounds as though you are managing them so well and she's lucky to be with you. I'll look forward to your posts to see how she is doing.

Thank you all for your help , concern and advice . I know I've said it before but I'm very lucky to have you all . We maybe scattered all over the world but it's very reassuring to know your here for me & I'm am very appreciative ;)

Sun has just come up so I'll grab some pics shortly
default_smile.png

This board is VERY special, and we have a group of wonderful friends here, that are all here for you!

Ryan just now reading this.......so sorry your Rexina having laminitis especially when she is in foal. I think if you feel in your gut she is pregnant than she probably is. You spend time and see her everyday so you do know your mare and her characteristics!! Maybe the vet was mistaken since it wasn't your regular vet or perhaps it was just the position of the foal at the time of examination.I have never owned a mare that foaled so I can not give you any advice but can offer some moral support!!!
default_yes.gif
I hope she gets over the laminitis soon. Keep us posted!

To answer your question Ryan, we mostly find that it is around 4 weeks - I know a lot of folks say/work on 4-6 weeks, but with mine it is closer to the 4 weeks rather than the 6.

Hows Rexina doing - hoping that she's feeling more comfortable now.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back