Goats and Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have three minis in the same pasture with two boehr(?) goats. My 38" gelding, Bentley, absolutely loves them. He naps with them during the day and will guard and protect them if he feels they are in danger. Otherwise, the horses and goats hardly ever interact.
default_smile.png

Sorry for thinking it was copper that was in horse grain and not goat grain....wasn't sure.

There is a different mineral between them. And to make baking soda available for

the goats. Whethers (fixed males) can be prone to bloat and the baking soda helps keep that at bay.

I have minis & milk goats. They do fine mostly -- they will pretty much keep into separate groups if in same pasture. As said, an occasional chase or kick will be sent toward them if they get too close. Generally, they are not run together but will run the goats in a field that has had minis, to browse. They LOVE things like honeysuckle, low tree growth and WILL eat all the bark from a young tree, fruit tree, etc. killing it. So, be aware they love that "stuff".

The males, more than females, are known to get crystals in urine if they eat too much alfalfa. The milking does really do need the alfalfa but, if you have a male & female, give alf pellets at milking time in her feed. You won't have the male in there at that time.

Different goats have different milk. The Nigerians have a higher fat content, often 8-10%, so great for cheese. Nubians are often in the 6-7% range and the Alpines, Saanens, about 3.5-5% (almost same as a cow %). Full milk does taste richer than say, 2%. But my Saanen has awesome milk!! In full production I get 1 1/4 gallon per day(she is full sized) I milk 2x day and have worked her into 1X day for my own convenience in past milkings.....which you can do over a short period as they produce as used....so take less and they will slow production for you. There are many who milk 1X day. The Nigerians will give between 1 qt & 1/2 gal a day. Like all things, each animal is a little different and we can give you only generalizations. One of my Nubs is a full sized, other 2 are mini Nubs. Minis are crossed with Nigerians early on to bring down size. I expect 1/2 gal from each mini, 1 gal + from full size Nubian, per day. First fresheners generally give less, increasing with subsequent kiddings.

By the way, if you run your buck with your milking does, you may get "off" flavored milk. I do not do that....and am only milking 1 of 4 adult does. In Spring I will be milking all 4 as the Nubians will then kid out. Oh, I make milk goat soap, cheese, yogurt, sour cream and have made butter. I would not make butter again without a separator! LOL My own kids (grown) won't even taste the milk -- too bad, it is their loss. My is used raw, kept in glass. It is great milk. This year I'm working to make the hard cheeses, which take longer to age, etc. Milk goats are a commitment but, you can dry them up if it is more than you want to do. I find it makes me more self sufficient and I like the milk time, generally. But, I'm retired and work a little part-time only. Besides, it only takes a short time -- you just can't not milk if the doe is used to being milked -- painful and not good.

My buck runs with a little stallion.....who is 27.5" and the buck is 29". They are good buddies.

Be careful that they do not get into cattle feed as it often has urea in it and that can kill a goat.

Back