goat, cattle,hog panels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
My local TS has a couple different panels with different size holes all are 16 ft. The 2 small run in pastures where I plan on using these would be for mare and baby only and until I feel that it would be safe enough for them to go in with the others.

Which panel or which size holes are safe enough for youngsters....head getting through and then getting it stuck or possibly a hoof....although I think any of them would be big enough to get their foot out. I didnt plan on hot wire at first ( with them being so young ) but do plan on putting a strand up a few feet from the ground later on. Also if my memory serves me correct these panels had smaller squares on the bottom...do you instead put the smaller holes/squares on top?

And I dont plan on putting them up on the green metal posts...I want to use just wood posts. Would I sandwich the panels between 2 posts then put posts in the ground....Im afraid of the steel edges that would be nailed to the post. Or do you just put a thin strip to cover the edges of the panel that are secured to the post? I hope I havent confused you too much.

I think the youngest mini I have ever seen was already 3 months so I really am having a difficult time even fathoming just how small these babies will be.

P.S. If anyone has any glass bubbles for sale I will take 2 please...sometimes I think this will be the only way to keep them safe.

Thanks for any help

Personally, I HATE those panels. If you have a particularly smart or determined mini, they can scale right over the top of them like a hooved monkey. While the holes aren't big enough for a head, and you'd think big enough to get a hoof out if they stepped through, we had one mare peel the hide off her hind leg like a stocking when she stepped though one of the smaller holes and got hung up about hock high. Mine also liked to scratch their butts on it, and eventually warped the whole panel and pulled it loose from the posts.

I have about 20 of them that I pulled out of my paddocks behind the barn and I can't even give them away- no one else around here likes them, either.

Pig panels, no. Cattle panels, yes. We can't use them for our stallions because they get legs caught, but it works great for mares and foals. We've only ever had one mare in 10 years that's put her head through the fence. Luckily she didn't panick when she got it stuck. We still put mesh fencing across the bottom in the areas that has grass or other goodies on the other side. I think putting a strip of hotwire across would work great.

I really like the panels,i'v used both with no trouble.I use wood posts, with the end centerd in the middle of the post. I put the small holes at the bottom.I use fence staples to attach and have had them work out of the wood so I use wire wrapped at the top and bottom for extra security.

We've used the hog panels in some fencing or for a double fence with an adjoining property. They are easy to put up and last for years.

But we've made it a point to turn them upside down so that the big openings are on the bottom, and the small ones on top. Why? Those little foals, with their tiny hooves can get their leg through the small openings and then get stuck, twisting and possibly causing injury. When the larger openings are on the bottom their feet and legs can go through, but do not become caught, and they can easily pull the leg out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the cattle panels in a few places, but am not 'wild' about them, because I do believe there are some drawbacks to them...for instance, I once turned a horse wearing a nylon halter into a run built of cattle panels, just for a few moments while I worked nearby...and he, nosing along the ground searching for an errant weed, CAUGHT his halter UNDER the panel(actually,it 'hooked' on the end of one of the vertical rods, even though they barely 'projected'!)Luckily, I was RIGHT there, and he is a sensible horse, quickly quit trying to pull loose, and I was quickly able to free him, but it was MONDO scary!) The panels were virtually RESTING ON the ground; you'd never have thought that this particular thing could even happen...

IF you do use cattle, or even hog, panels, I'd recommend putting the larger openings on the bottom, and if using wood posts,use SQUARE posts, which give a better 'support' surface, then 'butt' the panel ends up against each other. Staples WILL work loose over time, but they are probably the best choice for fastening to wooden posts... so use nice LONG HD staples, and put them on the HORIZONTAL rods,right next to the end of the panel and use plenty, then check them every so often I haven't seen it as necessary to 'cover' the panels ends; key would be that they lay nice and flat on the post. I would also suggest a drive post(metal T posts) or two in between the wooden posts; the 16' panels are way too flexible to not have 'reinforcement' like this, and would be very easy for the horses to 'sit on'/rub against and push them out of shape or even OFF their posts if you do not provide such.

If your budget will allow, I'd really recommend looking at some well-made smaller portable panels. They can be moved to WHEREVER needed, and are generally sturdier and easier to set up/take down/move/re-use.

Margo

We have used cattle panels extensively for over 40 years and have never had a horse hurt on them. I would say we've been lucky as with the big horses, if there is a way to get hurt, they will find it. The minis seem less determined to injure themselves.

I don't recommend using wood posts with staples as the staples will work out when the fur balls are rubbing their hinies. For the few wood corner posts we have used in one paddock we use a heavy guage wire and wrap it around the post.

Where it has been put on metal T posts we use 5 posts per 16 foot panel to withstand the rubbing which all minis are going to do.

Most of our grass paddocks are cattle panels welded to welded pipe posts and top rail.

magicspring2.jpg

The gates also have cattle panel welded to them...I cn't find a close up picture. Our foals would just slip right through the bars otherwise.

1-07Frank-RedBOy.jpg

We are always careful to put the ends where the little sharp projections are up against a post or another section of panel.

Charlotte

I used cattle panels for all my stud runs. With the new barn they haven't been moved yet, but will be.

I put the smaller holes on top. Used 4 x 4's and then ran a 2 x 4" about "butt" high around the whole thing. If they want to rub, they rub against that. I concur with the fence staples. They pull out. I use electrical wire holders that screw into the posts.

I have about a dozen stacked up behind my garage. I took them down after I had not one but two foals get their tiny heads stuck in the squares and they could have and would have broken their necks if I was not right there on the scene both times. The squares have no give whatsoever unlike field fencing if you need to get someone unstuck in a seconds notice. I would use them with a big horse, but never again where a mini baby will be. You will be completely amazed at how tiny your babies may be if they were anything like Timmy who was barely 14" at birth. I would go with plain ole field fencing all the way without any doubt in my mind.

I prefer roll fencing to panels. Red brand, no climb. I nail it right to the wooden posts. Put up a band of wide electric tape to keep their butts off, has worked well for several years. My loafing paddock where they loaf at night has no electric tape. Tractor supply not too bad on price if you catch a sale.

I have some, but they are not my preference for 24/7 fencing for the minis. But I do use them for my round pen (since I'm in there when the horse is) and I think they are great for bending between T-posts and then covering with tarps for a quick windbreak solution. I prefer the no-climb horse fencing (Red Brand) or hot wire, although hot wire isn't for babies imo.

Thanks guys for giving me the pros and cons. And Charlotte, your fence with those 2 beautiful Cherry? blossom trees is beautiful. Your little one is darling.

Im still on "the fence" as to which way to go...field or panels.

I did go to tractor supply yesterday and the panel that I think might be fine was not labeled as to the name but they were the most expensive, around 44$. They were about a 1 1/2 inch by about 2 in. rectangles. I think that would be too small of an opening to get caught in and the safest IMO. I cant imagine ever leaving mom and baby in the pasture while Im not home and the pasture/barn is less than 50ft. from my kitchen window. How long do you wait before putting on the hot wire with your babies? Im thinking once that goes on there wont be anything to worry about....although i do understand accidents just take a split sec and can happen with the silliest of circumstances.

All my other fences are the Red Brand field fence and have always been fine but over time even that fence is really looking ragged. I do have a few months to decide but thanks again for you suggestions and help.

Marty, you know you are my friend, my mentor, and my Go To For Advise, Mini Guru....please go to TS and check out the panels Im considering cause I wont be happy w/o your blessing.
default_worshippy.gif

I forgot the name of the company...but the cattle panels we can buy around here (southern WI) if you go to their website (it might be Behlen?) they also offer a horse/security panel. It's made like a cattle panel, and the same 16' length, but the squares are 2x4" from top to bottom. I'd love 'em...but last I checked, they were like $50 a piece....yikes! We have the 2x4" redbrand horse fence ourselves....and electrobraid out in the big pastures for our big 'uns.

Angie

Here's a link for some info...I just found this online, and they have a price listed too. I'm sure it varies depending on where you are. It was around $50 when I price checked in our area. I believe our closest Tractor Supply could special order them too. http://www.stockyardsupply.com/page3/

If cost wasn't a factor, I would have gone with these myself....and if I had small paddocks to put up down the road, I would consider it.

Angie

Hey Angie, thanks for taking the time to post the link, that was really helpful. I checked w/our tractor supply...the panels I like would be 64$...gotta think about that.

I use these here at my house and I don't have a issue thank goodness.. I love them and plan to build a round pen out of them as well.
default_smile.png

Back