getting rid of bees in the barn?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
I noticed tonight that we have some bees in the barn, one stall seems to have a nest inside the wall. Suggestions on how to safely without hurting the horses to rid the barn of them?

Thanks

dont have any ideas for you on that but wanted to tell you its ANTS for me. I mean our barn has tons of them. I dont know what to do to kill them

dont have any ideas for you on that but wanted to tell you its ANTS for me. I mean our barn has tons of them. I dont know what to do to kill them
Diatomacious earth... you can buy very large bags where you can find swimming pool supplies. You can use it in certain types of pool filters.

Sprinkle it on and around ant nests and around the perimeter of your building. It dries out their exo skeletons. basically pulls out all their moisture and safely kills them without using pestacides.

Bee's>>> Dawn Soap and Water apply early in the morning before they get active.. Make it VERY soapy, you can apply with sprayer. Works great..
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another idea here...if they really are bees, and not wasps, I would really hesitate to kill them. Bees are so valuable and necessary.

I saw an ad on my local on Craig's List from someone who said he was willing to come get bee colonies free of charge. Might it be worth checking out if there was someone like this in your area?

I've used Raid Wasp killer to get rid of bees in the barn wall two different times. I have used dish soap mixed with hot water when I've disposed of nests out in the yard/trees, but in the barn wall where they're harder to get at I wanted something that I completed trusted to knock them down instantly.

I move the horses right out of the area then spray them. A nest in the wall can be tricky, because depending where their entry hole is you may have trouble getting the right angle to actually spray the nest.

As Jayne said make sure what you are dealing with. If they are honey type bees or wasps or yellow jackets. Something killed off the honey bees, which are necessary to pollinate the fruit trees, and they are pretty endangered right now. All over Craigslist are people that will take them away for you if this is what they are. If they are wasps or yellow jackets then feel free to kill those suckers.

Latest posts

Back