Getting "ears"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwharrie

Reaction score
I am working with one of my 2 yr old fillies in hopes of getting her in the ring this spring. She has learned to set up, and will arch her neck, but I cant seem to get her ears up. Any tips or tricks on training for ears?

I would suggest clicker training her.

Work on a hand signal or gesture that when she put her ears up use the clicker or a sound and treat her. You slowly work on just being able to use the sound and she will know a cookie is coming just not necessarily that moment. Once she starts getting the hang of putting her ears forward for the gesture and sound make the sound but not treat her every time. Move on to every other. Then two and treat then three and treat. While this is not a fast training method it is useful for the long run.

Getitia gave me this tip years ago and it does work if you are always consistent. Never ever give the horse the bait or treat unless the ears are up. This way they associate the treat or bait with having their ears up and forward. If you give them the bait with the ears back you train them to put their ears back. Simple but it does work

I was also taught to reward only when they've given you their ears but at first, to reward as soon as they give even if it's only for a split second
default_yes.gif

Another sound that works great and can be associated with a treat is peppermint candy wrappers. The crinkly clear plastic on them, works like a charm.

Carolyn

sounds like I need to go back and train in two steps. I was rewarding her for standing "stacked" Since the ears were not coming up she was getting the "cookie" just for standing still ( with ears back)

The crinkle of the wrapper may do the trick. I think I will just work on ears a bit seperate from stacking.

( when I train the dogs I tend to do this in two steps as well. They learn to give ears anything they think I have a cookie, but stack and stay only when I tell them to. Eventually they figure out that it all goes together.

I also got the same advice from Getitia and it has worked very well with my horses.

I know some use tik taks but to me that seems as if it would be distracting to others horses, which i know as being the "other horse" handler with someone behind my horse rattling tik taks that can be quite rude. I do what the others do, teach them to give ears and expression to my hand and then reward automatically
default_smile.png
. Also when i feed, i don't grain them until they have their ears perked and giving me a pretty expression.

I think Leeana brings up a good point... please try to avoid "distracting" bait! I remember I was in a Nationals class one year and the lady next to me had a cat toy with a jingle bell in it. I think I was ready to KILL her at the end of the 20 minute class after listening to that darn bell jingling through the whole class!

Andrea

When they give ears do you give the treat? EVEN in the ring while showing? I was showing my mare and she was getting so many treats she thought she should EAT the whole time in the ring. IT was a mess. Now I'm sending her to a trainer to straighten the MESS that I've created. TJ

I have had a trainer tell me to reward with scratches besides treats. Ask for ears, then when you get them go back to their side by their shoulder and reward with a good scratching and tell them they are good. It really does work, and they don't get to looking for the treats as much. We use both methods.

You are right in training them in the two steps. ONe to stand and not move forward to the handler when modeling, to let you back off a bit so you are not obstructing the judges view. When you are a few steps back from the front of the horse it give a prettier picture!

When trying to get ears, really try different things to see what the horse reacts to. You can try unwrapping a peppermint in front of them while they are in there stall even, let them get used to the sound, after showing you a nice alert look with ears and stretching the neck, put a peppermint in their feed bucket. If they like them it wont be long until the wrappers get ears pretty well and you can use them in the show ring. Sometimes if a horse is used to a pelleted feed use a small amount of sweetfeed in you hand and see if that helps. Many will perk up for that as well, you can let a few grains dribble out of your hand to interest them as well. I always have three or four things for bait in my pocket for every class! If they start getting bored of one thing, switch to another. Also pace yourself as to when to start your horse modeling. If the horses are still coming in and the judges backs are to you in a halter class, then you can set them up but not ask for the ears and neck just yet, save them a bit. But be aware of where the judges are at all times!!!!

I also dislike it when other people use the louder training methods, it distracts many horses and can ruin a class for other people. Like the shaking of the little tic tac containers, etc.

If you can get your horse to model and show for something inedible, the look is prettier and more alert. Some horses will reach forward with their ears only partway forward, and I call this food ears! NOt all horses though, some just will model beautifully for about anything! With a nonedible bait, you wont get the lipping or bored reaching out as much.

It really depends on your horse, but for one that doesnt go for the nonedible things, I have tried nickermakers, and practiced at home, making a scratching noise on the nickermaker with my fingernail, when the horse looks really pretty in the stall with ears perked up and stretching up and out nicely I then put it in the feed bucket. If they like them it doesnt take long for them to associate that noise with the treat they will get.

If your in a huge class and the judges are at the other end, its ok to give them a treat and let them relax a moment but still holding their pose. That way when the judges come back, or walk the line at a distance comparing horses, you can be ready to get your horses attention quickly and be modeling beautifully right away.

I will say about what leeann said about not feeding the horses with grumpy face is big.

I knew of a persons horse that would pin her ears at feed time. She decided one day she was going to not feed her unless she had a happy face. It took her a while that first day. She would head to the stall everytime the mares ears would go back she would stop and stand until she would put her ears up and get a pleasent face. It went in steps but finally the mares asked a question with her ears like what was taking so long. Finally she broke the mares habits.

Also don't under estimate how far away the horse see's you.

Back