Getting back feet up under when driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinck43

Reaction score
What are some techniques I can do to get my horse up under himself when driving? He just doesn't seem to reach under like he should. Maybe it's just his physical makeup. thanks

While I don't consider myself a trainer, I will say that, with Mingus, his way of going changed dramatically once he was conditioned for pulling the cart. I also longed him with sliding side reins to encourage him to develop his topline and use his hind quarters. The biggest difference, however, was when I worked with him on walking with impulsion.

I'm sure others will come in with more "trainerly" advice. While his build may not be ideal for this, it doesn't mean you can't make the most of what he has to offer.

It could also be your set up or hitch up or even your cart style... my stumpy guy reached better and lengthened his stride when I got my harness and hook up properly set and bought a cart with lowerdraft that was easier to pull. Struggling to pull whether for conditioning of the horse..the set up..cart and harness can makethe stride of the horse look up and down and choppy kind of stride. Photos can help if you post your set up and request critique you will get lots of support here to determine if there are any factors easily fixed by adjustments before you focus on training.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! You don't state your own driving experience or if you have other horses with this problem, so forgive me for covering some things you may already know. First of all, for a driving horse contact is EVERYTHING. Many times I've seen others ask this question, they get all the complicated, detailed answers, then we see pictures and the driver is letting the horse slop along without any support at all and wondering why the horse isn't tracking up or extending properly. The first and most important element for helping your horse track up is to support him! Your contact on the reins is what helps him learn to recycle his energy and hold himself properly, shifting his weight to the rear.

Secondly, the horse needs to have impulsion. That means energy and as Susanne said, that begins at the walk. They don't get to just mosey along, the horse must walk out at all times like they have somewhere to be and a sense of urgency in getting there. It may take the horse awhile to understand this if they're used to being lazy but if you insist on a forward walk and praise them for making an effort they'll soon figure it out. You'll be amazed how a good walk helps the trot, the halt, and every other element of their work.

Third is the bend. A horse must learn to soften and bend laterally before they can stretch longitudinally. If you get him to soften his jaw and reach for the bit his topline will loosen and combined with that impulsion we talked about, you should see his back start to swing very nicely and his hind legs will stride up much further under him.

Once the horse has relaxation and energy doing gradually more frequent transitions (walk to trot, trot to walk, walk to whoa, whoa to trot, etc.) will help him learn to shift his weight rearward and go forward with power but be careful to keep your transitions smooth and soft and progress slowly into this exercise as his mental capacity to do it calmly and correctly grows. Don't ask a green horse to suddenly start doing sliding halts from trot or walk to canter transitions! You'll only stress him and lose the relaxation and stretch which allow him to stride under himself.

Leia

thanks for the input. He has been drivng for 5 years in the breed shows. We are now starting into Carriage Driving. I do have to encourage him at his walk. He wants to galleylag. I drive him 5 days a week. We had some lessons at the National Drive and he is doing better. I have the contact and we work in large circles and work on lateral movement. So maybe it will just take time. We practice in an easy entry cart and show in a Jerald. thanks,

Back