Getting a new stallion to except mares!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSR's_Judy

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Now that I had to geld my older stallion, I have a pinto stallion that is 3 years olds but he does not seem to take to all the mares and fillys. [/SIZE]

I have two fillys they are only 3 years old and not ready to bred so they are in a different pasture then he is, but when he sees them over by the fence he goes charging up to the fence to chases them off.

Does anyone know why he is doing this? Is it because they are still young mares?

He pasture breeds so I have mare and babies with him now and he does not do that to any of them.

Judy

Last edited by a moderator:
if he has mares in with him he will charge anything near the fence to protect his herd
default_smile.png

Beleive it or not most mature stallions will chase off young fillys, this is natural as in the wild its stops the inbreeding. I did quite a bit of research on this when I couldnt figure out why our gelding starting chasing away our two year old QH filly after he had lived happily with her since she was born. It is natural ( I know us dumb humans LOL)
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back