Getting a mini? questions and can I eventually keep with a bigger horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, welcome to the world of minis!
default_biggrin.png

I keep my 3 year old stallion, yearling filly, and 3 year old mare with 15 other big horses of all ages(mares and geldings)- quarter horses, arabs, a haflinger, tenessee walkers, missouri fox trotters, Paints, and other crossbreds. They all get along GREAT and theres hardly any issues. No kicking, an occasional nip now and again, but thats it. Some of them are very agressive too, but only with other big horses. They leave the minis alone, its like they know they are small and fragile. Some mares even have taken up the role of protecting the minis and following them around! Its so cute. But it all depends on your herd. If they are too agressive, seperate immediatly. You don't want anything to happen. I would probably get another mini to keep it company if seperation is necessary, and warning MINIS ARE ADDICTIVE. They're like potato chips. You can't have JUST 1! LOL Most people probably think we're crazy for putting them with 15 full sized horses... but we have 20+ acres and we introduced them to the other horses in small groups in a seperate field before letting them out in the big field with everybody. My stallion is let out with the big mares and geldings and he never bothers anybody, and keeps to himself most of the time. But he is extremely laid back, and doesnt even act like a stallion!

Good luck!

You guys are really convincing me to NOT put the mini in with the others ever. I also worried about the "over the fence" - so my paranoya was justified.

I have seen stallions fight from 2 sides of an incredibly large fence and believe me you don't want to ear about the looser... One of the 2 was quite a caracter but still... so a distance between the 2 fences is in order. I would really be sooooo devastated if something would happen.

We have a cool habit here in the summer: when my boyfriend gets back from work, we put the horses in the "green" (not muddy) pasture so they can graze fresh grass as we have a beer and relax with them. They are usually very calm and focus on grazing, since they can't all the time (otherwise there would not be a green pasture!) and also to prevend founder to Keagan, I limit the access. I think during these periods the mini could go with them, if all is well and then be separated again.

We'll see how it goes and I really fear wanting another mini already... you guys are not helping lol!

I really think yes they are like chips (as I read here and found it very funny)

I just now have to enquire about the stupid municipal rules... we do have 12 acres, mostly woods, but the horses have about 2 acres and the ring to them.

Are minis more predisposed (or fragile) to founder like poneys?

thanks, this is really fun!

thanks Horse Love, this is great info

We don't have as much land as you do, but much less horses! So I guess it evens out.

My horses are not agressive at all, it is real haromny and peace. I establish that energy but also their very own tempers create it to. My arab cross is a super leader, but a good leader, a "real" leader and he likes poneys, very much. I think with my gang it could be ok. But I do fear an accident and you never know while the pecking order gets established what can happen. If the mini was super submisive and accepted no questions the last position right away... I think it may be ok. But there is not way to predict that and no way also to know for sure how my actual last of the pack would be as a 3rd... not last! He was the boss where he was before and not such a good one... so you never know.

Caution is in order for sure and I think as usual I will be very cautious and see how things goes.

I just hope that I would be aloud a 5th horse ... just in case... 2 minis in my book is equal or not even to a full size horse! but regulations are not always based on common sense!

For now I am prepared to keep the mini separated forever or only small visits supervised when the conditions are right or if Keagan and the mini get along great maybe have Keagan and him at times and move things around. It is part of the choice of getting a mini and it is great to have all your input.

As much as I want a mini, I also want the mini to have a "real" horse life and be happy! I truly love horses, for what they are and love them how they are.

I think it really depends on the horse and with him already being accustomed to smaller horses he may very well be ok with a mini. Some minis make great companions for big horses and they are best friends.

Now with your big horse being "stallionish" as you say I would defintelly avoid getting a stallion. I think it would just cause problems for your other horses and I guarantee you your bigger horse and the stallion will more then likely fight and then someone is going to get hurt and it will defintelly be the mini. I highly recommend getting a gelding.
Thanks... tought so!

that confirms my worries, so guelding to go then. Or if I do get a colt, I will need to be prepared to have him guelded... scary tought... this is so hard for me... but wouldn't want the harmony to be broken among my horsies. Absolutely not.

And reading the sad stories... will not leave the mini with the others for sure. Thanks for sharing, sorry for the loses and sadness.

I keep my 3 year old stallion, yearling filly, and 3 year old mare with 15 other big horses of all ages(mares and geldings)- quarter horses, arabs, a haflinger, tenessee walkers, missouri fox trotters, Paints, and other crossbreds. They all get along GREAT and theres hardly any issues. No kicking, an occasional nip now and again, but thats it. Some of them are very agressive too, but only with other big horses. They leave the minis alone, its like they know they are small and fragile. Some mares even have taken up the role of protecting the minis and following them around! Its so cute. But it all depends on your herd. If they are too agressive, seperate immediatly. You don't want anything to happen. ... LOL Most people probably think we're crazy for putting them with 15 full sized horses... but we have 20+ acres and we introduced them to the other horses in small groups in a seperate field before letting them out in the big field with everybody. My stallion is let out with the big mares and geldings and he never bothers anybody, and keeps to himself most of the time. But he is extremely laid back, and doesnt even act like a stallion!

Good luck!
Add me to the list that thinks this set up is crazy. You are running the risk of the yearling filly getting bred WAY too young. There will come a time when the stallion will pester the big mares and he is likely to suffer a fatal blow from one of them.

It is a free country and you can do what you want. Please just don't come on here heartbroken about how terrible it is that one of your Minis has been injured or died.

Horse love, I really think your set up is dangerous and with a stallion in there too it is just asking for trouble. Everyone is free to do as they wish but I would not encourage ANYONE to do this.

horsedances I have a few meters between all my fences to avoid contact, as I have electric fencing. I recently tried to introduce a new stallion across the fence and every time they squealed they would paw out and rip the fence line, yes it hurts but when they get so excited the electricity just isn't enough to stop them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with songcatcher and eagle. A set up like that runs risks without the stallion in the mix. With him it's just waiting for an accident
default_no.gif

Why would you keep your stallion with your yearling filly (or any other mares, for that matter, big or small)? Aside from the overall setup you're describing, which is absolutely scary and an accident waiting to happen, you're yearling filly is probably bred by her father (if that's her father)
default_wacko.png

Why would you keep your stallion with your yearling filly (or any other mares, for that matter, big or small)? Aside from the overall setup you're describing, which is absolutely scary and an accident waiting to happen, you're yearling filly is probably bred by her father (if that's her father)
default_wacko.png
AGREED!!

Plus as soon as the big mares begin to cycle he's going to try and cover THEM. And he may not bother the other geldings now but when those mares come in heat....
default_wacko.png

I don't think I have ever read on this forum anything that frightens me for someone else's horses more than that response.

Well, it's a free world and anyone is free to be as nuts as they like, I guess.

As far as I am concerned anyone putting bigs and littles together is getting away with it.

It is possible to get away with it for years.

Then something happens and you ahve a dead horse.

It's all OK right up to the point when it isn't, basically.
default_rolleyes.gif

All that aside, for now, as I get the feeling you will go with your gut on this one, so we do not need to worry.

PLEASE do consider CMHR, they ave an auction going on right now and for the price of one fancy Mini you could well be able to adopt two- and they will have been temperament tested so the foster home will be able to suggest which one would best suit what you want.

Go and take a look I beg you.

Giving one of these strays a good home for Christmas would be a present to us all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! And I can testify that minis are like potato chips. I had my second 2 months after getting my first.

I know people who keep minis and biggies together. I personally only have one gelding I would trust to keep my minis in with. The rest of the bunch gets a bit feisty around feeding time (especially the mares) and they do a little light kicking. But light kicking for a big horse can cause a big problem for a mini horse. But only you know your horses so you'll just have to see how you feel about it.

Well the yearlings only been out once for a couple hours supervised in a smaller seperate pasture with a few horses because I just got her and she was left in the stall for about a week with little exercise because of very runny eyes. My 3 year old stallion had no interest and didn't even come near her. The other mare, the 3 year old, is pregnant so thats the only reason why they are together. He has no interest in her as well. And today I found out the so called "yearling" actually isnt a yearling at all! The vet came out and said she was actually 3 years old and pregnant as well(no wonder why he wasnt interested). But shes not papered, and NOT breeding quality at all. She looks like a yearling because of her conformation, but I don't understand why the person would lie about it. Good thing I had the vet out! Feel free to call me nuts
default_biggrin.png
I don't care. I know the dangers and I wouldn't advise anybody to do it with that many! But I never had a problem and never had anything potentially dangerous happen. If I ever did see one of the big ones try to kick, they would be out of there in a heartbeat! I just hope that day doesnt come soon, because they love it in the big field and enjoy the round bales and company of their big horse friends. My other pasture is small and doesn't have roundbales or grass, and they are very unhappy and try to find ways to crawl under the fence to get the green grass on the other side(its actually kinda funny). Plus my barn manager is there almost all day long and always watches them in the field when shes not doing anything. So I have very different circumstances from many people. The reason theres so many horses are because of boarders and rescues, if you were wondering.

Good luck and glad I helped horsesdances.

There is no way I also would never put a mini out with a big horse. What a recipe for disaster! And yes, miniatures founder left and right usually due to over feeding or over grazing especially in the spring.

CMHR does not adopt to people who want the miniature to share a field with a big horse. We are very adamant on that. Its ok if the person has a big horse but no turning them in together. We do in fact usually have horses that are registered here and there and we do release the papers with the horse especially for show purposes. Presently we have two horses that are double registered who were both shown in their younger days. We also have some super nice looking colts in our nursery this year that are being gelded by us before they are adopted if you would like to raise a baby. I'd love to work with you on this if you would like you can email me.

I think it all depends on the horses the reality is all over the country there are large horses pastured with small ponies living in harmony.

I had a 17 hand T/B who was great with the minis I have a 13.3 hand pony who can not be with them she is just to old and grumpy

I also would never suggest you buy two right off the bat. If you decide to keep them separate he would be fine in a pasture sharing a fence line. But since you already keep them with your 48 inch pony it really is not a huge difference to put them in with a mini.It is a risk but everything carries some type of risk I would think you have to get your mini home first let him share a fence line and then see how it goes

Congrats on your new horse

I am so gratefull for all this super interesting conversation and also impressed with the respect for different views.

I of course would start with one. Put him in his own space with shared small portion of a fence, this portion is heavily wooded! and has electric so it would be very safe, but with my experience I would start with a couple meters in between the big wood fence of my 3 dude' pasture and the electric of the mini's area. Then maybe after a while (like 2 weeks- 1 month? dependint how it goes) have a shared fence... if I feel it is safe.

I can play around with the fence of the area I would have the mini in, so I can easily adjust if needed.

I think I will observe them and see. It always depend on the particuliar horses! I know Shaman is usually very nice and sweeter to smaller horses... the smaller so far the more indulgent he has been. He had a goat sleep with him in his stall for 10 years and never injured her. Did curse at her often tough lol! but never harmed her really. So I tend to think he would be fine with a mini, but you never know! and I feel "better safe than sorry". So I think I will definetely air on caution, and see how it goes here. But I do promise to make sure all is safe and do my best so no drama happens. I also am ready to keep the mini separated for ever if that is safer.

I think now really "Guelding"! I was sort of contemplating the idea of a stallion as so many are very sweet... but I think it is just asking for trouble or raising the chances of having trouble.

You guys have helped me think about this more. and thanks to this forum I got the Mini school book yesterday and it is amazing!! I love haute ecole, dressage and would love to work with long reins. I do liberty work with my horses at the moment and don't use bits, saddles etc anymore. Long reins: would love to try ! and I can use a bitless briddle or well adjusted halter like with my larger friends. So much fun!!

I also think, and still open to your opinions..., that an young but older guelding (not foal) would be a smarter choice. Here is why: If I do get a foal... even if it is so cute, fun to train from the start and not have to correct anything etc... since I would have only this young one, and not a herd of minis where he can safely play and learn horse behavior and become a real horse ... I think it is better I get one who has had it before. Keagan (the 48" poney) is already around 12 and it is one horse... not a herd, no mares, and not a youngster... I really think horses need to learn from horses how to be a horse! and I can't provide that myself.. and it is not safe at the moment with my herd for a foal to learn, he would be to small, to fragile and his learning mistakes could be fatal.

I have seen an Welsh poney of 38 inches, that really looks like I want. But he is not a mini... much smaller for me but small enough?

He is far from my place and I wonder... if he was close I would just go see him. Is there a big difference between Welshes and minis? temper wise? (his looks and confo are good for me, he really looks like a mini, not pony like).

I also tought a little bigger, maybe a little safer with the herd if I could put them together one day... (I am not trying to do this absolutely, but I leave the possibility open that's all, if all went super well... but I am truly accepting not to so don't worry, you don't need to convince me! I am just weighting my options and thinking things over to make the right choice for me)

Also, for a rescue of your organisation. I emailed for info 2-3 days ago and didn't get a reply. I am open and some horses from the auction really appeal to me!! But they are in the US and I can't go see them. I also see the transport long, complicated and expensive... so it all seems unacessible to me, saddly. If there is one in QC or close enough I would very gladly consider it. I also absolutely have to be able to meet the mini so we can see if it clicks between us! I want this very special friend in my life and want both of us to be happy. It is not like a breeding subject, I am looking for a true friend and we need to bond! both ways!

The only thing tough... altough I don't intend to put him with my herd, I can't promise I will never do it and I don't like restrictions when I adopt animals. I have a word and great sense of honor, so if I must agree to never put him with my herd I would go by my word for sure. But I cannot promise that right now, because I want all my horses to be happy, safe and life tought me you never know... there are always exceptions and I observe and judge accordingly, learn and always try my best. If I felt the mini was miserable left out or ok to be with the herd in the green pasture for a supervised hour with me... even if I have to keep him with me on a lead chain so he is safe for sure... I would do it so he would be happy and safe and so would we and the others! so I cannot promise I would never do that. I can only promise to do all I can to make the horse happy, well cared for, massaged when needed, trimmed and fed and wormed when needed, trained with love, patience and no punishments, mutual respect involved absolutely, and have maximum turn out a the best horse life I can offer.

sorry this is long! thanks for listening!

I just wanted to let you know I do not have a copy of your email. Not sure where you sent it but it hasn't come by my desk.

Welcome! Put me on that list of would NEVER put a Mini in with large horses. One kick and that would be all she wrote. My friend put her Mini gelding out with her big guys. It was all good for about a year and then one morning she went out to feed only to find her gelding standing in a corner non responsive to stimuli. The vet confirmed that he had been kicked in the head and would not make it. He died two days later. Another person I know also had her Mini out with big horses and hers was kicked in the leg, cracked the leg in half and it stood with a dangling leg until she got up to feed the next morning. Would never chance it. They also founder just like the big guys. Good luck in your new venture.

Back