Getting a mini? questions and can I eventually keep with a bigger horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsesdances

Reaction score
Hi,

this is my first post. I am new here and new to minis but not to horses. I have had horses living with me for 13 years now. I rode since 1992, trained etc. (showjumping, dresage, now trying haute ecole, liberty, bittless and bareback). I recently saw a mini poney and fell in love. I am considering getting one, but I want to make sure he-she would be happy here, with what I can offer.

I presently have 3 horses: a 15.2hands Arab-QH guelding (super bossy, intellingent stallion like), a large poney 13.2hands and a 48" poney, They are all together in the pasture most of the time and come in the barn only when they want to or it the weather is very nasty.

My horse (tall one) loves poneys. He is not as bossy with poneys as standard horses so far. He also lived with a goat for about 11 yrs and she would even sleep in his stall. Even if she annoyed him terribly he never really hurt her.

Now my questions:

could I eventually keep a mini with the herd? or he-she should be kept in a separate pasture, but beside the horses so he-she doesn't get lonly, just remains safe?

I usually do this at first to introduce the horses and after about a month if all is well, introduce them together supervised periods of time.

Would a stallion be a problem if I get a young one, with my 3 gueldings (same or different pasture)?

I know it depends on the specific horse, but if some of you want to share some experiences, advice etc it would be great

would a mare be a problem with my 3 boys, the standard horse beeing very stallionish with females... (even as a guelding)?

and finally if the mini could not get along or was not safe with the herd... would he-she be miserable in a pasture besides the others?

any advice, experience etc is welcome!

I am used to horses, but not such tiny ones and I have been searching... but found different opinions. I also tried searching the forum and couldn't find anything, but if you have a link it this has been discussed (than I apologize for bringing it again) it is very welcome.

I have very specific objectives for my mini, if I get one.

I want a super sweet adorable, mild tempered one. I would also like it to be either very elegant and super reminescent of a big horse or super cute with a sweet face.

I also want a black one. I know this is superficial, but I have been wanting a black horse always and have 1 white, 1cremello, and one chestnut with blond mane. This one I prefer to wait to find exactly what I want. But the temper is more important, and we have to fall in love! (the horse and me)

I am in Quebec (Eastern Township) and looking for also an affordable mini. I don't intend to breed, I just want an extra friend who will be very well cared for. A rescue is ok to as long as he is in good shape. My 2 last ones are rescues and I spent years bringing them back, trust and behavior wise. This mini, I want it to by me "treat", my special friend and start off more easily. Sort of like the sweet desert after the super.

I am also an equine massage therapist so all my horses are super cared for, I trim them myself and consult regurlarely with my blacksmith to make sure I keep doing a good job.

thanks, hope this is not to long.

Hi and a very warm welcome
saludando.gif

So are you ready for that big jump? Let us warn you...... They are VERY addictive, lol I don't know many people that actually only have 1.
biggrin.gif

The differences between big and miniature horses is immense, for one they are like dogs once you win them over, I had 17 last year and they were all very good apart from 1 who didn't like being touched but she was great fun to play with and would kick a ball around with my kids for hours.

I personally would never put a mini in with a big pony or horse, all it takes is 1 kick in the head and it is game over, even playful kicks and bites from a big horse would be dangerous. He/she will need it's own area where he/she can see but not touch the others. I would not get a mare if you already have 3 boys as she would just get them fighting. A gelding would be my suggestion as stallions can get aggressive with other boys.

I am not very good about horses being alone, I always try to keep at least 2 per field as they really need company to scratch each other and go head to tail when the flies are out etc. so could you consider getting 2?

As for only wanting a black one well of course you can choose the one you really want
yes.gif
I have dreamed about having a black riding horse with white stockings and tail and a large white face since I was a kid, I went to try one just like this and she was so beautiful but she didn't pass the vet test due to a leg injury. Ever since that has been my dream colour
wub.gif

I wish you all the best on your search
saludando.gif

Renee

Welcome to the forum. Since you only have geldings I would recommend getting another gelding. Stallions present their own problems and if you don't plan on breeding, I would stay away from a stallion unless you found one you couldn't live without and then gelding him.

You already run your horses together and seem fairly responsible about their care so in time you should be able to put a mini in the bunch. I know this is not a popular subject on here but I have my 16 hand mare stalled with a mini with no problems. I could never stall her with another big horse but she loves the minis and prefers having one with her or out in the pasture with them. It can be a dangerous situation as mentioned but can be done with care given to the horses involved.

Welcome to the forum! Many of us started with big horses, but it seems there are still things to learn about minis and this is a great place to learn!

I would NOT recommend running minis and big horses together - it is just too dangerous. We bought our first mini as a companion to our big horse but they were always separated by round pen panels or other safe fencing. We now have ten minis but always kept minis and big horse separate. They can still be "herd" members when separated this way, as you can see in this video:

. That is a young stallion (now deceased) that Target (the big gelding) is playing with.
Target (who died recently) would sometimes play with the herd by galloping up to the fence, slamming on the brakes and rearing in fun. I shudder to think what could have happened if they weren't separated by a safe fence, even though they were just "playing". I know people do keep minis and big horses together and say it has worked for them, but there have been too many sad stories reported on this forum for me to take a chance. As one person said "it works until it doesn't work, and then it is too late".

We moved the big horse this summer to a different area where he was next to our mature stallion, and they played through the fence too. I would often find Target's fly mask in the paddock with Buckshot. Now that Target is gone, I often catch Buckshot looking wistfully into the next pasture and wondering where his buddy is.

I've sold a couple of minis over the years that went as companions to big horses - in both cases, the big horse was an older, retired gelding who was alone and needed a grazing buddy. It's not something I recommend, as already stated just too much risk for the smaller ones. Maybe your smaller pony could be moved in with a mini, short of that I think you will just need to buy a couple of minis.
default_smile.png

Jan

I've never had big horses myself, but have read more often than not that mixing two sizes that have a huge difference between them is not a good idea. Last spring we brought home home two girls who had be living in a large pasture and barn with two full size horses and a large pony. These two were very jumpy and quick to turn their hindquarters. For the first time since getting our first girl in 2009, I got kicked several times. I was used to my first girls who wouldn't dream of kicking me and I got careless. We realized that these two were used to defending themselves constantly against the bigger horses. I don't think they bigger horses or pony were extra aggressive, just that when they would do a normal "horse correction" type thing we each other, their larger size had bigger impact on the minis.

I would likely never mix the two based on our experience with these two girls. Others mileage may vary
default_laugh.png

P.S. Welcome!!

You are getting some good answers but I would just add- putting a Mini in with big horses and ponies is something I would never do, it is just too much of a risk, even though I know of people who have done it and had no problems.

But:- if any of your animals are shod then forget about it- a shod horse and a Mini is just one step too far, IMO.

As I said, it is not something I would do anyway, but a lot depends on how much room you have - a small herd running on 20 acres is far less likely to get into trouble than a small herd running on 3 acres!

I would not worry about any Mini you buy being lonely on it's own btw- it won't be alone for long, it just is not humanly possible to stop at one.
default_yes.gif

I agree with everyone else. I have had horses since I was a young kid. Going back ten years ago I would not have given it much thought, prior to owning minis. Now, forget it. If it was a large B mini, I would maybe consider placing your 48" pony with it (I am guessing is probably about 46" by mini standards, last hair on the mane), by large I mean 37-38", but beyond that, forget it.

Over the last 8 months I have downsized my mini herd and purchased a Gypsy Vanner filly. Did the thought cross my mind to maybe pair her up with my tall mini mare because "it would be so nice for them to be able to have contact with one another", y'ep, for about two seconds.

Stevie,my GV filly was on the opposing side of the fence, was running and kicking, and guess what, those hind hooves repeatedly came up high enough that they were head level for my mini. That is all it took to reinforce the fact that they should remain seperate. Stevie can reach over the stall gate and sniff noses and nuzzle a bit and that will have to do. Stevie, is 2.5 years old, and about 14.1-14.2 hands with a bit growing and filling out to do. She is a big lug, a very sociable girl, but she is a compact, drafty powerhouse and it would not take much at all for her to innocently deliver a fatal blow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lot of people on the forum don't recommend putting minis and biggies together, but we have 3 full sized horses + 1 pony with 2 minis and they have always been fine together.

Welcome! I ditto what most have said. Absolutely no to biggies with minis.

One bite or kick and your little one is toast. I know it works for some, but it's playing with fire and I choose to keep my horses as safe as I can.

If you do get one, keep him/her separate, but get another little one for company. Good excuse for an extra!
default_smile.png

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Canadian, horsedances.

I'm one of those who has kept minis and saddle horses together and I had no problems, but... I really believe that was just luck and would not do so now nor would I advise anyone to. I have watched the mixed herd when they get playful or frightened and the little ones are definitely in danger of being injured or worse by their larger herd mates. I have seen the big ones spin to bolt from perceived danger and the mini is right there, at risk of being run down or at least shouldered aside. What happens when they are feeling playful is just as risky IMO. As for sex it will matter less if you are penning them apart from your geldings but an all boy herd, even with a fence separating them, will be more peaceful.

I think it really depends on the horse and with him already being accustomed to smaller horses he may very well be ok with a mini. Some minis make great companions for big horses and they are best friends.

Now with your big horse being "stallionish" as you say I would defintelly avoid getting a stallion. I think it would just cause problems for your other horses and I guarantee you your bigger horse and the stallion will more then likely fight and then someone is going to get hurt and it will defintelly be the mini. I highly recommend getting a gelding.

The quietest, gentlest animal in the world can still kick at a fly or just lose it for a moment and bite hard. If the animal on the receiving end is another horse his own size there is often no problem, with a Mini you do not get a second chance.

MY "boys" all get along fine, they argue and they push one another around, but they are all around 30".

If one of these good natured guys was 13.2hh I would have a HUGE problem, not because he had suddenly become a nasty piece of work, but because, merely by being himself, his size had made him into a danger.

So I don't think it has much to do with the temperament of the animals involved, I honestly do think it is all down to size difference.

I own one of my mini geldings due to a mixed herd accident. He and another were inherited from relatives, after the first winter my FIL got tired of keeping them separate from the saddle and draft horses (even though I strongly recommended not ever mixing the herd), and shortly after that one mini was dead and the other came to live with me so he could have company his own size. [i still haven't received a straight answer as to what happened.]

wow! thank you so much for all this input and the welcomes!!

I am getting very excited about this! and I also do fear only having one would be hard. I tought also that my Keagan (48" poney) could spend some time with the mini and the others and see how this goes. Keagan could be in both pastures, and alternate if he and the mini get along well of course. I may be surprised, don't know. Yes I am very responsible, care well for my horses and tend to be over cautious... None of my horses are shod, very good point! makes a big difference. I love them very much and take the best care I can. I feed them 3 times a day and go play and work with them at liberty. I really like what read about the playfullness of the mini and it beeing different from big ones! one more reason to indulge in this huge temptation!

Thank you so much I am very excited about this and appreciate very much your advice. For sure the mini will be in an adjacent pasture in the beginning, I was mostly wondering if eventually... but maybe you are right ... better safe than sorry. My guelding is 19 years old, but he is still very high strung, playfull and arabian... sometimes more arabian than the pure ones I have been around.

Keep you guys posted and promise to post pictures to thank you if I get one! or even maybe of the ones I go see.

I also saw some local very small poneys. I know for sure they are not registered and the quality we see here, but is a under 35" poney considered a mini because of the size?

I would like to try haute ecole on long reins or liberty with the mini, so I also have to consider conformation...so it is not to hard for the horse, even if I don't have a real attachment to the results, basically want to do this as an activity we do together and make sure the horses likes it to or find how to make him like it!

Think guelding is the safe way to go here to.

many thanks!

I will be around and reading more!

Welcome to the forum and welcome to minis!

As the others have said be careful, they are addictive
default_wink.png

could I eventually keep a mini with the herd? or he-she should be kept in a separate pasture, but beside the horses so he-she doesn't get lonly, just remains safe?

I usually do this at first to introduce the horses and after about a month if all is well, introduce them together supervised periods of time.

Would a stallion be a problem if I get a young one, with my 3 gueldings (same or different pasture)?

I know it depends on the specific horse, but if some of you want to share some experiences, advice etc it would be great
Personally I won't run minis in with regular sized horses. The closest I get to that is three of my geldings live with an 11hh pony and on occasion that group will babysit a weanling or yearling QH. I just find the risks too high.

I wouldn't bother with a stallion at all unless you intend to show or breed. They just add to many complications into the mix and the friendship you get with them is very different then what you get from a mare or gelding. I do love my stallions but they really aren't for everyone.

I have very specific objectives for my mini, if I get one.I want a super sweet adorable, mild tempered one. I would also like it to be either very elegant and super reminescent of a big horse or super cute with a sweet face.

I also want a black one. I know this is superficial, but I have been wanting a black horse always and have 1 white, 1cremello, and one chestnut with blond mane. This one I prefer to wait to find exactly what I want. But the temper is more important, and we have to fall in love! (the horse and me)
I would reommend you find any nearby studs and take a few trips to see what is available locally and what types, it might help you narrow down your want list even if you don't find somthing you want to take home.

I also saw some local very small poneys. I know for sure they are not registered and the quality we see here, but is a under 35" poney considered a mini because of the size?

I would like to try haute ecole on long reins or liberty with the mini, so I also have to consider conformation...so it is not to hard for the horse, even if I don't have a real attachment to the results, basically want to do this as an activity we do together and make sure the horses likes it to or find how to make him like it!
If you want to try long reining perhaps look for somthing from driving lines?

I will also add a note regarding the little 'potato chips' because you truly can't have just one! I also had a big horse background before the Minis.

Just my own opinion- I would NEVER put a mini out with big horses or large ponies. Everything will be ok, well.... until it's not. And it just takes one time or one accident. It just isn't worth the risk to the Mini. I have known of a couple of incidents that had a less than desirable outcome- and one fatality that occured just because the big horses could reach over the fence- the Mini was not even in with them. When I still had the large POA's and the full sized horses, I kept them seperate from the Minis.

Take your time and look around. If you are buying something registered, make sure the paperwork is in the sellers name and all in order. Most people here are very happy to help and answer any questions you might have prior to and after your purchase.
default_smile.png

If papers are not required then maybe CMHR would have something you would be interested in...
default_rolleyes.gif
Or another rescue even. There are so many little ones needing homes it seems
default_sad.png

default_saludando.gif
Hi and welcome,,i would never put a mini in with a big horse..but there is probaly people

out there that do....my friend had her mini in with her big horse and she kick the mini in the head

and broke his jaw.i have a big horse on my property and i have electric fence all the way around

so the big horse can,t even put her head over the fence...good luck on what ever you decide

Back